Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  How do you do grilled cheese???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you do grilled cheese??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Just curious - what do you put on your grilled cheese? I love a grilled ham and swiss with dijon mustard. Won't do the plastic wrapped "singles" as I think the plastic itself would taste better!

What kind of bread? Cheese? Side (I love a dill pickle!)? Any mayo, mustard, or additions?

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17053 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like pastrami and Swiss on rye. One of the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches ever!

Or ham and cheddar on homemade bread...white or whole wheat.

I don't use plastic wrapped imitation cheese slices either.

Posts: 17053 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
It's been years!!!

But back them I would butter slices of homemade bread (just plain white) with softened butter. Put them in a nonstick pan (electric frying pan if memory serves) butter side down. Add a fairly thick slice of provolone to each. Add another slice of buttered bread to each butter side up. Cook at fairly low heat - 325 maybe? - until the first side was lightly browned. Then flip carefully and lightly brown the other side. The cheese melted, the lightly browned bread/butter smelled and tasted wonderful, at least IMHO. We had it for Saturday lunches with tomato soup made using tomatoes fresh from the garden..........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bozie,

Martha

Posts: 7106 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Bwahahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63yS2gPS68

Oh too funny!

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

BTW I like my grilled cheese with those little kosher dill pickles and make sure there's some pickle vinegar on the plate for me to dip the corner of the sandwich before each bite.

Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. Better if it's a nice fat garden tomato.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slap (gently) a fried egg on it!

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2991 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, enough!

I guess I'm a purist when it comes to grilled cheese. Those grilled sandwiches you are all describing are not, I repeat NOT, grilled cheese sandwiches. They are grilled cheese and egg, grilled cheese and pepperoni, grilled ham and cheese, grilled pastrami and swiss, etc.

I'm waiting for someone to post that a Monte Cristo is a grilled cheese sandwich. Wink

Grilled cheese is bread, butter, mild cheddar or combination of cheese and a hot griddle. Period, end. No other ingredients.

I do love a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich or a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich during the summer.

PS, Please keep the mayo in the fridge until you're ready to make a banana sandwich. Big Grin

Fun and Info

Posts: 3514 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
The wonderful thing about cheese is that it combines so well with many things so IMO a grilled cheese sandwich can have other flavors as well.

However, if I want to play 'purist' there are 2 ways I've made toasted cheese sandwiches. The first way I learned as a child was to put thick slices of processed cheese on toast and put it under the grill in the oven until it melted. Since I no longer eat processed foods I've sometimes done this with sharp cheddar.

What I do now is to place sharp cheddar slices between 2 slices of bread, butter the outsides, and 'toast' slowly in a cast iron frypan until golden on both sides. Cheese will be nice and melted by then and I like to dip it into tomato chili sauce as I eat it. Always use real butter and real cheddar. Bread can be any good quality unbleached white or whole grain.

Not really a 'toasted cheese sandwich' but real garlic butter (real minced garlic combined with real melted butter) slathered on French bread with grated sharp cheddar on top and grilled in the oven til melted is yummy!

BTW this is the best garlic mincer I've ever used: http://www.leevalley.com/en/gi...cat=4,104,53214&ap=5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fav is thick slices of Colby cheese. Bread has a little mayo on the inside of both pieces of bread, the Colby cheese and salt and pepper. Real butter melted in a skillet and the sandwich browned slowly to melt the cheese. Don't know why, but Mom always mashed them slightly. Have had them in restaurants like that too. Tomato soup is a good with it. Comfort food.

We just got back from Lancaster, PA and ate at a Friendly's (don't have them here). Their 3 cheese grilled cheese is very good.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6280 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I just watched the video, but I couldn't make out her last line: "I wish he could be my new ??." It sounded like smayo?????

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, I'm not sure. It's been so long since I've seen the movie that I'm not sure of the context any more. Kind of sounds like "smell" to me. She's mildly developmentally challenged and he's - well LOL - he's Johnny Depp.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I prefer bread to be buttered on both outsides using ONLY real butter. No oil, margarine, 50/50 stuff, etc.

Cheeses on the inside, which can be one cheese like colby, or multiple cheeses like swiss, colby/co-jack, etc.

A bit of Hellmann's mayo inside next to the cheese.

No Velveta. No singles (processed cheese). Presliced is OK as long as it's not processed cheese/cheese food.

Bread can be many things: Cracker Barrel sourdough white, white spelt, homemade wheat, etc. Must not have a hard crust. Must not be squished (that's makes it more of a panini).

Grilled cheese sandwich must not have any other veggie or meat. That changes from Grilled Cheese sandwich to something else, like Ham & Cheese, etc.

I have discovered a new way of cooking that's slightly different than my old way. OLD way was assembling sandwich, cooking on one side to the right shade of golden, then flipping. NEW way is to cook open face with both sides down, until the right shade of golden, then put sides together to finish melting cheeses. Much faster and the cheese isn't overcooked.

Posts: 4479 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I do use processed cheese, although not singles as I really hate that extra plastic.

Buttered on both outsides and baked at 400º. I also like cheese, tomato and ham same way. (with marjoram on the tomato)

When I was a little girl Velvetta cheese came in wooden boxes with sliding tops (I think the tops slid) anyway I adored those boxes.

Posts: 12611 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Oh, I remember those little wooden boxes! We're of the same age, LOS.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have only made my sandwiches with those plastic wrapped American cheese slices . . . maybe that's why I only fix them once a year . . . and I never order them in a restaurant. My first Monte Cristo was at the restaurant in Yosemite, it was the best sandwich I have ever had. Oh my, and I used to smear the breads with Fleischman 's margarine. Gross! Well, at least I knew enough to pair it with Tomato Soup (Campbell's, of course!).

I guess my taste buds didn't develop until after I turned 70. LOL Now I wish my palate wasn't so discriminating LOL LOL!

Sherry, I didn't even notice that was Johnny Depp. No wonder the Johnny Depp movie ad popped up at the end. And, at first, I thought he was a girl!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
I do use processed cheese, although not singles as I really hate that extra plastic.

Buttered on both outsides and baked at 400º. I also like cheese, tomato and ham same way. (with marjoram on the tomato)

When I was a little girl Velvetta cheese came in wooden boxes with sliding tops (I think the tops slid) anyway I adored those boxes.

Yep, they slid and they are collectors items now. I have a similar one, but no lid.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
Okay, okay, enough!

I guess I'm a purist when it comes to grilled cheese. Those grilled sandwiches you are all describing are not, I repeat NOT, grilled cheese sandwiches. They are grilled cheese and egg, grilled cheese and pepperoni, grilled ham and cheese, grilled pastrami and swiss, etc.

Charming, I am a purist like you... Big Grin
I'm waiting for someone to post that a Monte Cristo is a grilled cheese sandwich. Wink

Grilled cheese is bread, butter, mild cheddar or combination of cheese and a hot griddle. Period, end. No other ingredients.

I do love a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich or a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich during the summer.

PS, Please keep the mayo in the fridge until you're ready to make a banana sandwich. Big Grin

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin

BTW I like my grilled cheese with those little kosher dill pickles and make sure there's some pickle vinegar on the plate for me to dip the corner of the sandwich before each bite.

Yum, me toooooo; sometimes I switch it up to bread/butter pickles & juice and for some reason I loveeeeee some tater chips with the whole thing! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJO:
quote:
Big Grin

Yum, me toooooo; sometimes I switch it up to bread/butter pickles & juice and for some reason I loveeeeee some tater chips with the whole thing! Wink

The tater chips are reserved for the pb&j in this house! Love the salty chips when the jelly is really sweet. But love the dill pickles w/grilled cheese!

posted Hide Post
As I've mentioned before I HATE to cook. Grilled cheese is one of my best.
Italian white bread, mayo, sliced deli cheese.
Mayo both sides and grill on a George Forman grill.
My DS friends still tell me I make the best gc on the planet.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:

Even I use cheese.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Denawills, do you have to do so many SPAM posts a month to get paid?

Posts: 7032 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Denawills, do you have to do so many SPAM posts a month to get paid?

Ditto. I have never clicked on one of the links in her posts.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
2 slices of whole wheat sandwich bread, 2 thin slices cooper sharp cheese.

Place cheese between bread and pop into my electric sandwich maker. Perfect!!

No added calories from butter or mayo.

When I make them for DH I add thin slices of onion.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I'm hardly on here anymore, but when I am Wink Denawills always has a highlighted word to click on... you can't spell out *****iana anymore but people can spam forever. I don't get it?

Anyway, I like grilled cheese sandwiches so many ways, sometimes with ham, sometimes with tomato, but I always like them with Pepperoncini, and like KYIS, I like when the vinegar of the pepper, in my case not a pickle, drips on the plate so I can dip it... I do a pretty gross thing, take a bite of sandwich then the pepper... I know, not very lady like, but it's goooood!!!!

Posts: 975 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post