Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Weight Loss - Help and Support Needed - very long
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight Loss - Help and Support Needed - very long Sign In/Join 
posted
I haven't posted on here in quite awhile, but I do check in on you often to see what's going on. In 2008-2009 we had a great weight loss support system going here and I need ya'll again. Over 1 1/2 years I lost 70 lbs (from 196 to 125) and kept it off with your help and support. Then in the fall of 2010 I started feeling bad, no appetite and when I did eat I could only eat a very small amount before I felt like I would throw up and started losing more weight. So I went to the doctor and found out I have high blood pressure and Type II Diabetes. Also had low potassium. That doctor put me on all kinds of meds and insulin, but I continued to lose weight (down to 88 lbs in May 2011), got very weak and finally changed doctors and had thyroid surgery in Oct 2011 (only half removed and no meds). And have been gaining weight ever since.

I'm now up to 143 and MUST lose 20 lbs. My doctor says the insulin is a hinderance and I have to work harder to get it off. I'm exercising a little again, but need some new food ideas.

Here's where ya'll come in. First let me just say I HATE to cook, but know I have to. I need some (okay a lot) of suggestions for low carb meals that are quick and easy. Especially for breakfast and lunch during the work week. Normally I grab a sausage biscuit for breakfast and eat when I get to the office and then take my meds. For lunch it's grab something from a drive-thru and home to feed the puppy her lunch before heading back to work. After work all I want to do is veg out and read, sew, crochet, play with the puppy.

So, given that info, please give me some ideas. Sorry this is so long, but I know ya'll understand.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I would think that for dieting purposes , sausage anything , should be eliminated. The same is true for a drive thru lunch. My opinion is that you need some cereal or whole wheat toast to fill you up at breakfast. Or maybe some fruit and yogurt. You could pack a lunch. It could be a salad and a piece of fruit.

We all pretty much know the things that we cannot have while dieting! It is just very hard to do. Cookies, cakes, donuts, candy, chips, ice cream , etc. must be removed from your diet. Add in a lot more exercise with it. You can do it!

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Karen,

Welcome back! I remember your posts. Will reply to your request soon with some tips I used recently.

(((Hugs to you!)))

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9485 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
PM me if you'd like some advice on your thyroid situation. That may be at least part of the problem with gaining in the first place.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay, thanks, but the remaining half of the thyroid is doing its job. My doc does labs every 2 months to keep an eye on things. The problem is ME and what I eat. I KNOW what and what not to eat, just need a little push and some easy to fix suggestions.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Karen,

Have you checked with your doctor to see if nutrition education is available? They can usually refer you to someone as diabetes is involved.

Since November, I have lost 25 pounds and down 4 sizes. It was under my doctor's guidance and closely monitored with labs too. I am happy to say that I've eliminated most processed foods, sugar, and soda along with walking 2-3 miles each day. It was like a treasure hunt to discover which products were OK and which ones had "hidden" sugars.

It was easier for me to make food choices if I pre-planned lunch and dinner. Basically, it becomes eating on remote. My mindset was a lifestyle change instead of Die*t. It is surprising how easy it is to get into a better routine. Grocery shopping is easy too since I bypass most of the center aisles and added more fresh veggies and fruits to the cart.

Make sure to carry some appropriate snacks with you to avoid those hunger pains. If you go home for lunch, how about making a salad, tuna,hard boiled eggs, etc and eat at home? Easy to prepare in the morning before work and it's the same 10-15 minutes that it takes to do drive thru.

There are apps for phones that you can use to track food choices. In the beginning I was quite surprised to see the amount of daily calories, etc that were consumed. Plus it was encouraging to see the weight come off according to food choices.

Good Luck to you in your journey. It's not easy but just make one good choice at a time and it soon becomes habit.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9485 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I too hate to cook, but I am not from the south. From the south, I do believe you are used to eating more fattening foods maybe? I could be wrong, I'm thinking out loud! For breakfast I have either cold cereal (with bananas or raisins) or hot oatmeal (with raisins!) every day. This is only when I go to work. On the weekends I'll splurge and have eggs occasionally or just have my usual tuna salad for lunch! I hate to cook and love tuna fish. I could live on eggs, tuna fish and a few other diet foods if I needed to, easily! I also used to eat raw broccoli, cauliflower and other raw veggies when I was trying to diet and a few yrs. ago lost 14 lbs. eating this way. I also eat lots of frozen veggies if I am too lazy and/or don't have veggies to cut up (carrots, celery, etc.) If I lived alone, I would never, ever, ever, ever cook chicken or meat again. I only make it cause my DH wants it. I would 'wing it' if it were only me and my DD!! I don't know if you like raw veggies much. I am not used to eating fried foods and rarely order them in restaurants or as "take-out". Good luck and I just wanted to tell you what I eat when I want to lose weight and REFUSE to cook!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Ridding your diet of "white stuff" may be a step in the right direction - no white flour or sugar in anything! And no white rice.

Think whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, preferrably raw and keeping a close eye on fats in very small amounts only.

Switch to skim milk, low fat and unsweetened yogurt.

Portion size your servings of food that have fats / calories.

Get a dietetics consultation.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Many people are not aware that drugs for high blood pressure can cause weight gain. Antidepressants can also do the same.

Not suggesting you go off your meds but here's an interesting study: http://www.healthdiscoveries.n...-blood-pressure.html

The healthiest way to lose weight is to increase vegetables and decrease bad fats, bad carbs, and meat. A great deal of fast food is comprised of bad fats, bad carbs, and meat and that's what a lot of people who have weight problems eat.

Prepping veggies as soon as you get them home helps a lot because you can then make a salad quickly or grab some veggie sticks for a snack. It's important to replace unhealthy foods with healthy choices gradually. That way you won't feel deprived but will gradually get used to a new way of eating. Don't think about dieting but just decide you will eat in a more healthy way for the rest of your life. Add some foods that help you feel full such as cheddar cheese sticks or whole unsalted nuts which make good snacks. Just keep servings to a reasonable size.

It's really difficult to gain weight (or not lose) on a mostly vegetarian diet and it might help your diabetes also. It's really not necessary to eat meat every day. Fish is also a healthier alternative usually. Eggs are healthy in moderate amounts. You might even save some money with this eating style as meat usually costs more than veggies.

I lost 50 pounds eating healthy foods and feel much better. It's way more fun buying XS and size 6-8 than XL and 14.

While I will never go back to eating unhealthy foods I do enjoy eating out occasionally. I try to make healthy choices and and enjoy a small amount of dark chocolate several times a week. I don't feel at all deprived even tho I eat no sugar, white flour, or rice and seldom eat potatoes. There are lots of other tasty choices.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Most of them facing the problem is weight loss or gain. For that, Many of them using the various products, But some of them are faced side effects due to taken it without doctor's suggestion. I think, It will be better to consult the doctor before we can start to use any kind of product for weight loss.

best green coffee extract
buy green coffee bean extract for weight loss

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post