Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  "I be done seen 'bout everything" until TODAY!?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I be done seen 'bout everything" until TODAY!?! Sign In/Join 
posted
Before "they" get shorts in a knot about words in quote... comes from a CLASSIC Disney movie.

So I have 2 stores that are not too far away but not on "the way" for most errands.

One is Produce Junction... a no-frills, semi-bulk store with excellent products, selection, & prices. Stopped there for sweet potatoes for Sunday.

Right next-door is a place called The Meat Stop. Very nice meats and good prices. Bought a D&W "dinner ham" for $1.99... EXCELLENT. When I'm in the area, always stop in to see what they have. Store's a bit quirky... often has meat/poultry items that I would say geared toward more "ethnic" cooking (like 5lb bags of chicken feet)... if that word is allowed?

O am NOT someone who YUCKS anyone else's YUM, but saw something today that kinda makes me lean in that direction! I picked up a package of what looked like maybe Italian sausage. I take reading glasses off my head, put them on my face and almost THREW the package across the store. It was NOT sausage!! Labled bull P I Z Z L E... use your imagination... 3 of these letters are in the English word. A MAJOR OMG moment!!

Posts: 5657 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It's quite a delicacy on the prairie (we raise a lot of cattle here) -- we call them "Mountain Oysters"!

I've not eaten them and probably never will!

Martha

Posts: 6225 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO... NOT "oysters"... the OTHER part that's closely connected to them!

Posts: 5657 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Yes, and there is something called bu**lly st**icks for dog chew toys...EWW!

Cautions include: Excessive use may cause gastric upset! You think?

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Yep dog chewies - there's a brand called pizzell sticks.

Having said that, I really wish I hadn't read this during lunch....

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
THAT I have never seen - well - I have seen them attached to the bull but never in a grocery store.

When DS was small and we went to the big town - once a month trip for groceries - he would spend his time in front of the meat section looking at pig ears and pig feet, beef tongue, other "delicacies." I will never forget the time his 9-month older cousin was with he. He grabbed her and said, "Come on! I gotta show you sumthin." LOL She was appalled!

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dh liked pickled pig feet and mountain oysters.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned not to turn my nose up too quickly when my FIL cooked. Not only was turtle sauce piquante fabulous but debris (pronounced "day bree") was great and it was made from squirrel, possum, and any parts of other animals normally discarded. Having said that, I can't see myself knowingly consuming testicles.

Posts: 3496 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
N u t for me Lolllllllll!

However, I have had cow brains, fried. I visited a friend's grandparents for the day and they were 'cleaning' a just slaughtered cow. OMg, it's a wonder I didn't have nightmares.... won't go into anymore details; aackkkkk!!!!

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I have a funny story for you.
My dad was a huge joker. He loved to kid anyone who would fall for his silliness. My teenaged "city" cousin was visiting one time & when she asked what's for breakfast, his reply was "brains & eggs." She was completely disgusted.
It wasn't true, but still 40 years later, she doesn't believe me. She insists my mom cooked & served brains & eggs. Not MY mom. Wink

Posts: 6672 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Well, I suppose it makes sense not to waste any part of an animal that has been slaughtered for meat. It is just, how on earth would you cook that animal part? And how do you make it palatable?

Posts: 7252 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
Well, I suppose it makes sense not to waste any part of an animal that has been slaughtered for meat. It is just, how on earth would you cook that animal part? And how do you make it palatable?

Well, here ya go cocok:

http://www.livestrong.com/arti...-cook-a-beef-pizzle/

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
THAT I have never seen - well - I have seen them attached to the bull but never in a grocery store..............

ROFLMAO...yep, I've just seen them attached to the original owner myself.

That would be quite a surprise if I saw that in the grocery store. Now I've been in local Cuban Carniciera's, they have every part of the pig for sale.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7535 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I think its now illegal in the US to sell cattle brains for human consumption.

The prion that causes mad cow disease is found primarily in the brain and spinal column. They don't know for sure how mad cow spreads between cattle or from cattle to humans, but, better safe than sorry, the brain and spinal column is not sold for human food.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post