Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Lurah -- nice to see you here again! You've been missed! Martha

Oh, I got a new to me computer and had to get the kinks worked out, especially when I wanted to post on this site. Think I've got it whipped.

Posts: 2815 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Saturday Brunch was Breakfast Pie, Chambord laced grapefruit halves, Pillsbury Orange Danish rolls (from my childhood.)

Posts: 2815 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- that's similar to mine only I use 5 pounds of potatoes, cooked and mashed and then add a stick of butter, an 8 oz. package of cream cheese and an 8 oz. of sour cream, mix, salt and pepper to taste.

Then I do the add ins -- garlic or rosemary or chives or whatever and then sometimes we do the "works" -- like a loaded baked potato with cheese, bacon and sliced green onion added.

Bake at 350 until heated through.

Can sprinkle paprika on top if you want.

Lurah, next time I'll try yours!

Martha

Posts: 6215 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Last night DH grilled steaks over charcoal. Big Grin
I prepared yellow squash and stewed potatoes.
Finished with key lime pie.
OH IT WAS GOOD!

Posts: 17256 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Lurah. I will put this recipe in my files. I have made a similar recipe - certainly, twice-baked potatoes - but I discovered accidentally that the mixture can be put in a casserole and reheated later.
Happy Easter to all. I am roasting Yukon Gold along with my lamb roast. I have just 5 people.

Seaborne

Posts: 1204 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a different and family favorite Twice Baked Potato. Large Russets, baked without trimming the ends off or using potato nails (just pierce the top of the potato.)

Slice off the top, scoop out pulp into a mixing bowl, send potato shells back to the oven to crisp up for 10 minutes. Mash the potatoes with milk, seasonings and spoon back into the shells to the brim. Slip in a chunk of frozen or very cold butter, cover with more mashed mixture and seal up well. Broil until tips of top are browned, the butter is melted inside and don't lose all the butter with the first bite.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Romaine chef salads with strawberries, feta and Julienned ham and hot cross buns.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Leftover lamb, potatoes, broccoli casserole - and DH had pineapple cake with whipped cream.
I packaged sliced ham and put it in the freezer.
I have more leftover food than I thought I would have. Now, it's how many creative ways to serve ham - besides soup and scalloped potatoes with ham.

Seaborne

Posts: 1204 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Working on an event so it was an easy dinner of polish. Sauerkraut and toasted red potatoes. A chocolate Easter bunny for dessert

Posts: 6215 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Our family's favorite Easter food keeps on "giving," which is my Easter bread - toasted and eaten with hard-boiled eggs - breakfast each day until all is gone.

The bread is so rich with eggs and butter - like a Brioche - that toasting it makes it into a heavenly treat.

Seaborne

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I made chicken salad yesterday morning, so we had that along with steamed snow peas and corn on the cob for dinner last night.

I picked up pulled pork from our favorite place on my way home today, so we'll have that tonight and there's enough to freeze for a couple more meals. The place is about an hour away and I'm not up there too often, and its only open certain days.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6743 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A friend gave us a mess of morels -- made a pasta dish with morels, garlic, wine, cream and Parm. Served with a salad and cookie rejects for dessert (they weren't perfect enough to give away!)

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
With dips and dabs of leftovers, we shared three different leftovers -- a real "fusion" meal!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I was out - but I made a ham and scalloped potato casserole for DH - which he loves - leftover Easter ham and Yukon Gold potatoes that I roasted with the lamb. Made a cheese sauce and put it all together.

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Last night chicken fried pork cutlets that turned out devine (Panko crumbs) with Italian seasoned roasted red & gold potatoes and a Romaine salad with Mandarin oranges, red onions and almonds and some of that raspberry acai berry vinaigrette.

posted Hide Post
I've been in Galveston for a business seminar. While there I drove along Seawall Blvd and picked out a Cajun seafood restaurant. At suppertime, I drove straight to it. CLOSED!!!! Plan B was not to eat at ANY Landry owned restaurants - and they've bought up quite a few on the island. Unfortunately, I ate at Bubba Gump's. Overpriced mediocre food. Pre-breaded, pre-prepared frozen stuff. Entrée, tea, dessert (to take to the hotel), and tip was just over $40 for one person. I still don't know why I ordered tea, I generally drink water at a restaurant.

The remainder of the meals were with the seminar at Moody Gardens.

Early evening on the way home I grabbed a piece of fried chicken and an order of fried okra at Chicken Express.

Tonight will be steak-something.

Posts: 17256 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I was out at dinner time two days in a row - so DH enjoyed his casserole. I ate good finger food and wine at one event and last night the food was catered by a Mediterranean Kitchen restaurant and it was delicious - starting with boneless chicken breast tenders in a light garlic sauce, lots of grilled marinated vegetables of all kinds, and a saffron rice with cheese topping - pita bread, hummus and veggies.
We had a cake auction for the cakes donated for each table - our table was a low bidder at $70 - but I got to pick my very own pineapple bundt cake - and it was enjoyed by all. Someone commented that it had the flavor of an pineapple upside-down cake - which it does.
Today - I have to cook something again - don't know if I want to make ham and bean soup, or not??

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
My DH was home alone while I was gone. He did not eat one meal in three days at home. I had to throw stuff away this morning. Frown

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
KYIS: Doesn't surprise me about your DH - my DH does the strangest things with food too - though I have left beautiful food for him to enjoy - but unless I give him specific instructions (or sometimes I have to write it down) - he'll make a sandwich - or who knows what he eats. Unbelievable - but I continue to have my own schedule - and do make sure he has the food he likes when I'm gone.

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
KYIS - Oh, I almost forgot about Moody Gardens, what a gorgeous place! I guess I need to do some vacations a second time around.

DH gone yesterday so I enjoyed Italian dressed pasta salad with leftover ham added and cheese toasts for dinner.

Today we had hors d'oeuvres for supper, fresh cheese curds, black grapes, lemon cookies.

Fierce thunderstorms and winds just about all day from wee hours of the morning through this early eve.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
About DH eating or not the food left for them... Mine only fixes what's easiest for him to do. If we had a roast with veggies and gravy leftover, he'll made a honking huge cold roast beef sandwich and leave everything else.
What a lazy eater! What can I do with veggies and gravy and no more meat? Grrgh. Or microwave a serving of casserole and not bother to open the Tupperware for the salad or muffins to go with it.
I try not to have food leftover from meals.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I've been cooking again - fixed broiled flank steak on Saturday & we had 2 meals out of it - with rice, mixed veggies and salad. Today, I've got Chicken Parmigian in the oven - boneless chicken breast - dredged in flour & bread crumbs - browned in a skillet - then placed in a casserole - made a tomatoe sauce to cover & will add shredded Italian cheese before serving. I'll saute' fresh baby spinach with garlic & olive oil for the veggie. No salad.
I'm really amused at how similar our DH stories are - when they're left on their own - with perfectly good leftover food in the fridge - hate to say it - but I'll dare to say - that - Men are all alike??

Seaborne

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm headed off tomorrow and won't be home til Sunday. There are a couple of things in the frig that he only has to heat up. Let's see if he does it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6743 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Craftyrad
posted Hide Post
Years ago, the first time I left for a week to visit my parents, I left frozen 1-serving meals (with heating instructions) for almost every dinner. When I came back, all the beer was gone, all the peanut butter was gone, and everything was still neatly labeled in the freezer. From then on, I didn't bother to make anything ahead!

Ruth Ann

Posts: 1634 | Location: MA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't intentionally cook food for DH for when I'm gone. He gets the leftovers (that's why they were trashed when I got home because that is exactly what I expected to find). I learned real quick shortly after we married that he prefers to sit at the table and be waited on...not to have to put anything on a plate to reheat in the microwave...and heaven forbid even though he can cook he is not about to especially just for himself.

Me? Oh yeah. I'd rather cook a small steak, one piece of chicken, etc., with a baked potato and salad than go to a restaurant for substandard food.

DH's brother, is the opposite of him. When SIL is gone, BIL might eat a meal or two out, but he expects her to prepare food for him to last while she's gone. She even partially bakes cookies and freezes them so all he has to do is pop a couple in the toaster oven to finish baking. And if I'd thrown away his leftover food before it started growing green "hair," I would still be hearing it. Wink

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
When I went on a 3-week trip with my daughter about 6 years ago, I cooked ahead and froze individual generous serving sized portions for DH - and he did use them up. But, we also had a close friend - a younger married woman of Slovak ancestry - who brought him freshly-cooked food - because I guess she couldn't imagine a mere man managing on his own. But he told me that he much preferred the frozen meals I had prepared than anything the young Slovak woman brought over.
I'm planning another 3-week trip to Europe this Fall - and I've already decided that I would NOT prepare or freeze any meals. I told him that Costco could keep him alive and well fed the entire time.

Seaborne