Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's April. Please share your dinners with us. I've found some great ideas for the evening meal here. And some recipes!

Martha

Posts: 5972 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Grrrrrrrr. I don't know what happened, but my first Reply didn't take for some reason. So I'll try replying again!

I had said that I made the crockpot online recipe that I had mentioned in my other thread about condensation on the lid. However, I did not bother using the folded dish towel tip.

It was quite good and I especially liked the convenience of using a crockpot instead of cooking the sauce on the stovetop, which I've always done in the past. I made a few minor changes to the recipe, some additions/some deletions. But I do think that the pancetta and shitake mushrooms added to the flavor. It was the first time I had ever used pancetta or dried shitake mushrooms. The recipe called for dried porcini mushrooms but when I couldn't find them on the grocer's shelf, I googled "porcini mushroom substitute." The reply was that they are hard to find and that shitake mushrooms were a good substitute. I would make this sauce again, minus the teaspoon of cinnamon that it called for.

Posts: 5998 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I made ham with red currant sauce. I did it the easy way--fully cooked ham slice that was on sale.

This was the second time I've made the red currant sauce. First time, it wasn't too flavorful. So, the second time I used half the amount of red current jelly and the other half I used my own home-canned blackberry jelly. Turned out wonderful!

1/4 cup red current jelly
1/4 cup blackberry jelly
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon regular mustard

Simmer in large skillet all until onion is soft. Put fully-cooked ham slice on top and cook for two minutes. Turn the ham over and cook for another two minutes. I smear a little of the sauce on top of the ham, as well.

Posts: 4499 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Spring....must love the change in seasons.

However, this time it got us with allergies and upper respiratory probs. It took me awhile to want to prepare anything, or eat for that matter.

I made Venison Veggie Barley Soup on the last day of March. Hub had divided the venison into a HUGE portion. Yesterday, I had to make venison chili. I found a recipe online for Garlic Cheddar biscuits to go with these dishes. Simple...but flavorful, thankfully. When tastebuds aren't working at 100% what do you do?

Posts: 5202 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I made kielbasi and sauerkraut in the crockpot. I always add some applesauce, which gives it a slight sweetness. When I got home I added hot dogs to the crockpot. We had enough that we'll have the leftovers tonight.
I only like this dish about once every three months.
And fresh strawberries for dessert!

Holly

Posts: 2999 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We were camping so Monday night we had marinated chicken on the grill with mac and cheese (premade heated up in the microwave) sautéed veggies and salad.

Last night cheeseburgers on the grill, baked beans, salad. (I forgot the potatoes) so no fries.

Tonight left over chicken, broccoli, roasted potatoes.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3542 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Sunday was a pot roast with new red potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and a big green salad. Apple crisp for dessert.

Posts: 7195 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I had a dinner meeting but fix husband a big plate of roasted vegetables (brussels sprouts, peppers, onions, potatoes) and warmed up some 13 hour hickory pecan smoked pork that my DD sent home with me.

Martha

Posts: 5972 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, I like a touch of cinnamon in my spaghetti sauce but a whole teaspoon sounds like too much. Try a 1/4 teaspoon and see how you like that.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6626 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks, FFG, I'll try that next time. I could smell the cinnamon while it was cooking and it was a turnoff for me . . . and I love cinnamon!

Tonight I made salmon cakes, but didn't care for them. Too fishy! I used the canned Bumble Bee Red Salmon. I don't remember ever not liking salmon cakes/croquettes in the past. Maybe I used a different brand. Today's can was a funny shape that I had never seen before, it was tapered. Maybe Bumble Bee just changed to a new can. Whatever the reason, I was very disappointed in my dinner tonight.

We had strawberry shortcake for dessert. I found a new square cake recipe to try instead of making my usual round one. I would say that this cake was better than my old recipe. It was more of a mock sponge cake.

Posts: 5998 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Mild tacos tonight.

Posts: 4499 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Thanks, FFG, I'll try that next time. I could smell the cinnamon while it was cooking and it was a turnoff for me . . . and I love cinnamon!

Tonight I made salmon cakes, but didn't care for them. Too fishy! I used the canned Bumble Bee Red Salmon. I don't remember ever not liking salmon cakes/croquettes in the past. Maybe I used a different brand. Today's can was a funny shape that I had never seen before, it was tapered. Maybe Bumble Bee just changed to a new can. Whatever the reason, I was very disappointed in my dinner tonight.

We had strawberry shortcake for dessert. I found a new square cake recipe to try instead of making my usual round one. I would say that this cake was better than my old recipe. It was more of a mock sponge cake.

Bit of a chore - but try making them from fresh salmon cakes sometime. I never liked salmon cakes until I made them from scratch. It makes a lot, but they freeze easily for later use.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3542 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
After cooking all week, we're going out for burgers tonight.

Actually, I'll get the Philly cheesesteak -YUM!

Fun and Info

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Charming, interesting comment. Americastestkitchentv just showed how to make salmon cakes with fresh salmon.

FFG, I just went to note my c/p spaghetti recipe to use only 1/8 t cinnamon next time and I discovered that the amount called for was 1/2 ts, not 1 ts. And that's what I put in. So maybe I'll try 1/8 ts next time.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had loose meat sandwiches (Nu Ways, Maid Rites are some of the names they're known by) on homemade Moomie buns (so good and so easy to make), baked sweet potato fries.

Martha

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Venison beer and cheese brats grilled over charcoal
Sauerkraut
Stewed potatoes with mushrooms sautéed in butter with garlic and white wine
No dessert

Posts: 17115 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Tonight we're having crab cakes and artichokes that husband is going to grill.

Posts: 976 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Ah, grilling, SR -- we could have done that LAST night (almost 80) -- tonight not so much (mid 40s!)

It's still Lent and on Fridays we do Lentinis here (martinis on Friday during lent) and then go to the Catholic church for their fish fry.

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Charming, interesting comment. Americastestkitchentv just showed how to make salmon cakes with fresh salmon.

FFG, I just went to note my c/p spaghetti recipe to use only 1/8 t cinnamon next time and I discovered that the amount called for was 1/2 ts, not 1 ts. And that's what I put in. So maybe I'll try 1/8 ts next time.

In Richmond there was a very popular hotdog place and the owner used cinnamon in his chili. We never cared for it but most people raved.

Cinnamon is used a lot in Greek savory dishes, and a number of Italian restaurants often have Greek owners so cinnamon in the spaghetti sauce.

I have a Greek style green bean recipe that uses a pinch of cinnamon. It adds just the little hint of special without over powering. Depending on how large a batch of sauce you are making, I would cut back even more on the cinnamon.

About your short cake - I found in the paper a recipe for Strawberry Buttermilk Cake. A one layer cake with fruit in the batter. It is a nice sponge and perfect for short cake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight? Hmmmm, I guess it's time to go freezer diving. I have no clue and nothing thawed. I have a hankering for beef, so we shall see what I find. I have fresh asparagus and red potatoes.

Dinner ended up as a Boston butt I seasoned and cooked in a crock pot until tender then smoked on the grill with a vinegry bbq sauce, garlic fries, roasted asparagus. I also made more of the WW baked hush puppies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Today's dinner: Double breaded chicken thighs baked in the oven, mashed potatoes and gravy and succotash. Dessert options for dh if he so chooses will be bakery chocolate chip muffins or coconut bars. I rarely eat dessert unless I have the strength to make something special. Since I have health issues.... that doesn't happen very often.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Ours will be pizza -- homemade crust, pesto, sun dried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella and regular mozzarella.

Alas, no fresh basil!

Martha

posted Hide Post
DH was gone for the weekend. He got home about 4:30 today just as I had homemade English muffins on the griddle. When supper time rolled around he asked for a fried egg, a buttered toasted English muffin, some marmalade, and a glass of milk. Suited me just fine. Smile

Posts: 17115 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday I made a new crockpot recipe. Ground beef, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, salsa and fresh spinach, and the last half hour added cooked bowtie pasta and shredded cheese. DH ate two big plates full! We had leftovers yesterday, and have enough for tonight also.

I get a lot of recipes from facebook, and this one is a keeper.

Posts: 2999 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Got a Costco chicken on Friday - ate that for 2 days - then, yesterday, I made a noodle/mixed veggie/cut-up chicken pieces Tetrazzini, I guess I'd call it. I used country gravy mix and the chicken broth I used to heat up the chicken. It was delicious and we have more for today - 5 days of meals from a $5 Costco chicken.

Seaborne

Posts: 1156 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's coolish here - again. I LOVE IT! I made homemade chili tonight. Big Grin

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had SIL's prizing winning smoked pork and roasted vegetables -- potatoes, onions, carrots, peppers and brussels sprouts . . . and a ginger cookie (or two) for dessert!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Another night of SILs award wining smoked pork but this time served with a green rice casserole and a salad of Kale, carrots cabbage with dried cranberries and homemade poppy seed dressing!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Roasted chicken leg quarters
Buttered corn
Sauteed spinach
A couple of slice of homemade Dutch oven bread

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Was lazy in the kitchen today -- so I got Chinese take away. Their portions are so big that one meal serves us both!

Oh, it was Orange chicken!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Had homemade vegetarian pizza (red peppers, mushrooms, onions) and a big salad with homemade blue cheese dressing.

Martha

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Last evening, I made shrimp lettuce wraps. Our kitchen became smokey because we're still fighting the mess made by the oven protectors. It's as though it melted onto it. Since we cook in more than go out, we have to have a new one.

Tonight, to avoid the smoke....we had homemade veggie burgers. These are one of my favorite dishes! We use the veggie scraps we collect from our juicer. This makes the process so much easier; this will be the new battle "scraps for the compost" vs. "scraps for the veggie burgers". I saved some of the chickpeas to make hummus. What a treat!

posted Hide Post
My 3 daughters loved this one! So simple.

Saffron Cashew Rice
1.5 C Basmati rice (or long grain)
2 1/4 C water
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp saffron threads
3 Tbs canola oil
1.5 C chopped onion
1 C chopped roasted salted cashews
2 Tbs minced jalapeno peper
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1) Rinse rice well. Place in saucepan with water, salt, cumin and saffron. Bring to boil. Reduce head and simmer covered for 15min. Remove from head and let stand for 5 minutes.
2) While rice is cooking, heat oil and cook onion and cashews for about 10min stirring occasionally. Add jalapeno for about 1 minute. Add to rice, sprinkle with cilantro.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We have had lots of company this month and have cooked everything !!!! Tireddddddddd and ready to do some eating out next week; LOL!

Posts: 2866 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We had some hotdogs sent to us from an excellent out of state shop. Oh my! It was a birthday gift. One veggie burger and one hot dog. That's a balanced meal. Smile

Do many of you order food items from companies out of state?

RusticChic, it looks (and sounds) delicious. We have all the ingredients to try it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A night out in our little town -- cocktails with friends at our house before dinner, dinner at the Catholic Church Fish Fry and then Seussical the Musical at our Community College (not just a college production, but a production that also involved grade school, middle school and high school students).

Martha

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Our 7 burner range arrived today. We decided to have dim sum to test it. So thrilled with it! What a difference this range is compared to the other one! We are thankful for the change.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had meatloaf and oven roasted veggies tonight. Was gonna do baked potatoes but just didn't bother.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6626 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Wow -- Trish -- SEVEN burners! I'm green!

A day in the city with family, taking DH to urgent care when I got home, dinner was McDonald's! Not that I didn't want to cook -- I didn't want to clean up!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Out since morning - returned home at 4 PM - so ate a codfish sandwich and an orange - and am not hungry now - but have to cook for DH - so it's going to be cube steaks.

Seaborne

Posts: 1156 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SEVEN BURNERS?! I don't even want to talk about that! harumphf Wink

We worked out in the yard today. OH MY! We had chicken salad for lunch. Then more outside work. I asked DH what he wanted for supper. "Whatever you want to cook." REALLY?! I called off what was in the refrigerator and he asked for a grilled cheese - Jarlsberg on homemade bread, grilled. OOOOH! I got one of those cast iron Lodge grilling skillets with the ridges in the bottom. It makes the best grilled sandwiches! I put another cast iron skillet on top - panninni-style - so crispy! Anyway, Dh had grilled cheese while I reheated last nights leftover Chinese - curry chicken.

posted Hide Post

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Enchilada Pie - Fritos, chili beans, onion, chilies, black olives, hamburger, Cheddar cheese and enchilada sauce.
Found this in an old academy cookbook and have made it several times in 3 months.

Posts: 2760 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- nice to see you here again! You've been missed!

Sherry -- kidney stone so he's comfortable but it (or them) must pass! Sigh!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
the last of the award winning smoked pork on a sandwich with a side of kale cole slaw with poppy seed dressing and craisins.

Martha

posted Hide Post
It's turned cold on us again! I soaked pinto beans last night. This morning I rinsed them, put in the slow cooker with seasonings and a ham bone from the refrigerator that had plenty of ham left on it. I will make a pan of cornbread when I get home this evening.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My side of the family always gathers for our Easter celebration with dinner on Palm Sunday. This year I went to my folks 2 days early and Mom helped me prepare the feast. We kept the menu simple with Ina's Glazed Ham (using a mango chutney,) buffet Potatoes, home grown & frozen creamed corn, fresh asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, an orange-pineapple Jell-O with a from scratch custard topping, Czech Rohlickys and for dessert, scratch carrot cake with cream cheese frosting & pecans. My brother likes to bake pies, so his contribution this time was a superb peanut butter cream. There were 18 of us. I went through the line last (on purpose) and we cut the veggies pretty close, only a spoonful of potatoes & a small amount of corn remained and I took the last of the asparagus. The ham was lovely, huge, fresh and that glaze was remarkable. We got everything cleaned up and put away for my folks so it was a nice event. They love having everyone come home, but the prep work wears them out. I stayed overnight and we prepped a few dishes each day and set the tables on Saturday. I also made little birdhouses from cinnamon graham crackers with Peeps and jelly beans setting inside the house. (A photo from Pinterest on facebook.) Turned out cute, used Royal icing as the glue. I made enough for 2 guests to share one birdhouse at each dining table. Mom's oldest china is pink Mayflowers on white, with pink linen napkins on a white Damask cloth it looked sharp.
The second table set had cream china with lt blue florals on blue placemats and napkins. The grandkids were ecstatic they got the table in the dining room this time! They now outnumber the 'adults' so they've moved up in the world! Who knew something so small could make everyone so happy?

Posts: 2760 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lurah - what is your recipe for buffet potatoes?
Sounds like a lovely and delicious occasion. You are lucky to still have your mother.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
After a week of not cooking (oh, I did make 600 cookies but that's not "cooking") with a gift of morels, we had chicken and morels with fresh roasted asparagus. A spring meal for sure. Dinner was ambrosia -- just pineapple, orange, coconut and a splash of Grand Marnier.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Buffet Potatoes - 5 pounds Russets, peeled, quartered, cooked, drained, dried & mashed by hand, adding 1/2 pound of cream cheese and 2 cups of sour cream, seasoned salt & pepper, minced garlic to taste (or use garlic powder for the times I don't want folks to think I used garlic.) Grated cheese can also be added, about 2 cups Gruyere is my favorite add-in, with a few tablespoons sprinkled on top.

Spoon mixture into greased baking dish, bake at 350 degrees or whatever temperature you have other items baking at in the oven until heated through and maybe even a bit light golden on the top, about 45 minutes.

These can be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated or frozen, divided into smaller casseroles, and the recipe is easily halved.

If refrigerated before baking, bring to room temp or allow longer baking time.

They are quite forgiving.

We especially include this side dish when there isn't going to be gravy, such as with ham or grilled steaks.

There are many names for this recipe, another common one is Twice Baked Potato Casserole.

Hope this wasn't a repeat recipe for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,