Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  New...or tried and true......?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New...or tried and true......? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
While cooking this morning I found myself thinking about the dishes/pans, etc. that I was using. Most of them have been in constant use for nearly 40 years. It never crosses my mind that perhaps I should update them.

My old Club Aluminum pots (avocado!!!) still look great and meet my needs. I use the same bowls over and over again. I love going to TJMaxx and looking at the beautiful new kitchen ware! I just cannot bring myself to buy any. I would miss my old stuff.

I love old dishes and enjoy buying those at flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, etc.

Is anyone else attached to their "old stuff" ?

Posts: 3140 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I would retire the club aluminum. It may or may not be true but some studies do link aluminum to Alzheimer's. I no longer use any aluminum in the kitchen. I also like my solid core stainless steel. It doesn't seem to have any hot spots, plus it is very easy to clean.

I bought my cookware one piece at a time. One of my favorite items is a chili pot. I use mine for almost all slow cooking and large quantity cooking.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3481 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my wedding present salad bowl, I know it was from the old blue chip catalog.

I remember multicolored aluminum drinking glasses when I was young, didn't know they were bad now, I just hated drinking from Aluminum.
I have lots of old stuff I love, some I dislike and will replace when I see something I like better.
I love to cook and I love kitchen gadgets. I'm a sucker for some of the stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meischa,

Posts: 2461 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you ever seen pics of my house? LOL

Posts: 12523 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
From the title I thought it would be about recipes not cookware!!!

I have some LeCreuset from wedding times, and my grandmother's breadboard and muffin tins and my grandmother's and my mother's cast iron skillets. I gave my old wooden salad bowl to DD for when I was going to buy one for her she stated she wanted mine so I gave her mine and kept the new one. I got non-stick cookware for wedding and I got rid of it when I noticed a "chemical" smell whenever I used it. I figured that that wasn't good. Got rid of it and started collecting good stainless and copper cookware. Oh, and I DO have my wedding present waffle iron!

Most of my stuff is old, I buy what I need, have few "gadgets" and keep it until it needs to be replaced.

Martha

Posts: 5824 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
My cookware is a mixture of newer and old. Have some cast iron my mother gave me in 1969, have some solid core stainless pots from a set I bought for myself many, many years ago, and part of a Calphalon set I got a number of years ago.

It's sad, but I can walk into a kitchen store and not find a single thing in there that I need!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6537 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit - I'm like you, I'd never considered that I should or even could buy some new kitchenware items.
I guess when the old stuff breaks I'll have to do something.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Apparently some of us have the same " problem"....Smile Yes, LOS , I understand you and your love of "old"!

Posts: 3140 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I have the cast iron frying pans my MIL gave me in 1974, and a Revere ware stainless skillet I've had just as long.

I used the same wooden mixing bowl for at least 25 years until 1 day it simply split in 2.

Dh bought me a small set of faberware about 5 years ago mostly to replace several similar pots that had lost handles and became almost too dented to use.

I am dreading the day when I have to replace my 35 year old Swing-a-way can opener. that thing WORKS!

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should consider myself lucky. I never had good cookware until several years ago when I could finally afford to buy what I want. Now almost every pot and pan I have is Calphalon. I do have a Le Crueset skillet my MIL gave me decades ago. I never had good knives, and now I have almost a complete set of Cutco. I do still have the china I got as a bride as well as the corning ware, corelle, and my original crock pot.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot about my knife -- DH had it made for me about 30 years ago in Japan by the knifemaker to the Imperial family. It has my name on the blade in Japanese!

My knives are all good but like my pots and pans they've been collected over the years!

Martha

Posts: 5824 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, that sounds like a great knife! It is no wonder that you cherish it!

I am really embarrassed by my knives. My "main knife" is one of those small paring knives that cost one dollar. It was a "give-a-way" over 30 years ago. I use it every day. It is very dull but it works for me. When I am helping to prepare food in our church kitchen I am in fear of cutting my fingers off....they have sharp knives!!!

When I slice tomatoes I use an old wood handled steak knife that is at least 50 years old! It works great!

Thanks for sharing on this thread!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
grapefruit -- my grandmother always used an old "Butcher's knife) for everything -- from peeling potatoes to cutting chicken to peeling tomatoes. That big knife and her little hand . . . I couldn't peel a tomato with my chef's knife -- EVER!

So I understand about your knife!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Some of my old Farberware pots have worn out so I have replaced them with All Clad pots and pans. I got myself a Staub grill pan and casserole which I love. Otherwise, I use my old stuff. It's hard to toss out something that I have used many times over the years--I only get rid of stuff that's broken.

Posts: 3177 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always considered myself clumsy with knives and it really hampered my creative impulses in the kitchen. Now that I have good sharp knives it makes all the difference. And I still have all my digits!

Posts: 3396 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
To get our knives sharpen, I just hint that I'm considering purchasing an electronic knife sharpener. DH says he'll take care of it; and DOES - the old fashion way. Good knives ARE important in cooking! By the way, I think I need to suggest getting the electronic knife sharpener this evening. hehehe

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:
I am dreading the day when I have to replace my 35 year old Swing-a-way can opener. that thing WORKS!

Swing-a-Way openers are still readily available. Don't be afraid of having to find a new one. Maybe it would be even better to get one now in case they might not be available when you're ready to give up the old one. A new one would probably be the last you ever need to buy.

Posts: 4490 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My first job was at the company that made Swing-a-way -- Rival Mfg! Do I have one -- no. I have a commercial countertop manual model. I like the manuals! I did have a Rival electric but didn't like it on my counter so . . . when we cooked for a fund raising function at the Scottish Rite and they had this manual commerical . . . well, I was on the search for one and DH found it and it was a Christmas gift. I LOVE it! Will open anything from teeny cans to those big cans to feed a crowd!

Martha

posted Hide Post
The comments re: knives makes me think of the movie we watched the other night (TCM) called Nanook of the North. He used a whale bone knife for everything! Honed it with a stone. Skinned a seal with it, used it in building an igloo, greased it by licking it.

A study of their civilization shows just how little people need to live on (sometimes though not enough as Nanook starved to death) But just think, no politicians, no war, no commercials, no insurance etc.

posted Hide Post
Man just wrote a good post about knives and it got pulled. . . probably because it was about Nan ook of the north!

posted Hide Post
I'm with you, Linderhof. I don't like electric can openers. Manual for me! Can you give us more info about yours?

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'm almost certain that Swing-a-Way was never made by Rival. I believe it was made by Swing-a-Way until around 2005 or so, when it was sold to Amco for manufacture. There never has been an electric model, as far as I'm aware. Like every other product sold to another manufacturer, the quality might have declined... I haven't bought one since. When it was made by the original company, people considered it the best and most reliable on the market. I do know that.

Around 1980, I got sick of throwing electric can openers away every year or two. How environmentally unconscientious is that? That's when I went back to basics with Swing-a-Way.

Posts: 4490 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have a mixture of old and new.

I absolutely love a heavy pan with lid that my grandmother gave me that she had used all her married years. It is one of the oldest things in my kitchen.

I also love my relatively new Scan Pan. Have you tried those? My gosh, it makes the most amazingly perfect scrambled eggs. It is completely non stick, but it is not a coating, it is the metal it is made from.

As long as the item meets my needs and works well, I don't so much care if it is old or new.

Posts: 7166 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I collect vintage kitchenware and use it daily. I use Wearever cast aluminum pots and pans from the 40s. I'm trying to get the entire set. They were in the kitchen of my childhood. They are thick and sturdy and I have yet to see a new expensive set i want more.

I am not afraid to use them because they are aluminum. The experts are always coming up with something. My mother and her sisters used this kind of cookware . No one in the family or extended family has had Alzheimer's. I'm not criticizing those who are cautious, but I'm not afraid to use it.

I love my vintage Tupperware and Pyrex. New things don't even appeal to me, but when I come across them online or in a shop, my heart starts to race!

Posts: 3260 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother had/has a complete set of Miracle Maid cookware that she got in the late 40's or early 50's. My father was selling it back then as a part time job. That stuff is indestructible. You can still get parts for it. In fact, I have the kettle and use it every morning to boil water for my coffee. (No, I don't have a coffeemaker and never will!)

posted Hide Post
Kathy_in_wlsv, don't worry about replacing the swing-a-way. I've got several in my stash that I've gotten through the years at yard sales, just let me know.

Actually, I have a cute story about mine. A few years back, it was expected that we would get a major hurricane. Everyone I knew was in a panic to make sure that they had a manual can opener just in case the power went out. I got caught up in the frenzy until I realized that I only HAD a manual can opener (duh!) my tried and true Swing-a-way!

Posts: 1952 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay -- sorry -- I got confused -- Rival made the CAN-O-MAT, not the Swing-Away -- both are hyphenated -- so you can see where I got confused -- that and it was almost 50 years ago that I worked there!!!!

And I was in the office - not the line.

Martha

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,
I used to have a white with red trim enameled pot that cane with DH when we got married. It developed a small hole. I asked DH to solder it for me, he said why we can afford a really nice pot why fix it. I badgered and he finally soldered it for me and it lasted for another 20 years. Then it developed another hole and DH can no longer do my repairs, so sadly it was relegated to the trash. I loved that old pot, I used it for everything.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 993 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I'm still using my cookware from the 70's, my Swing-a-way can opener, Magnalite and Vollrath and Lincoln WearEver restaurant pots and pans.

I bought these knowing that I will never have to replace them. Most certainly they are Tried and True!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7388 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have to add my Mirro Masterbilt pan/lid to my list of favorites. It has the little "steam escape" nozzle on the lid. It was my mother's and almost always in daily use. The sound made by the nozzle is one that I have enjoyed for over 50 years. It is still in perfect condition.

So, it looks like most of us are not doing our part to "stimulate the economy". Wink

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I use some of my mom's old Pyrex & cooking pans, but I really like a new ceramic-lined frying pan we bought last year, too.
I have found that I'm most successful with my mom's recipes when I use the same cookware she used. (and her rolling pin)
I just donated 4 old 1970's crock pots that belonged to my mom & MIL in favor of a new shiny bigger model.

Posts: 6657 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
I love old dishes and enjoy buying those at flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, etc.

I have a lot of 'old stuff' and have purchased many in the 2nd hand venues. However, decades ago I got rid of the aluminum pots/pans I had had since we were married in the mid-60's due to the possible aluminum connection. I have several of my DM's stainless pans that are probably about 40 years old but have been thinking of buying a new set or at least a few new pans.

I have many cast iron pieces I bought new in the 70's in Europe (Le Creuset and Cousances) and also at yard sales since. DH would buy every CI pan that was made in either Canada or the US he found at yard sales and clean them in the self-clean oven so they were like new.

I also have a cast iron frypan that belonged to my DGF and is probably over 100 years old. So yes, I love and am attached to old stuff!

I also have old dishes and prefer them to my newer ones. Use transferware bought at yard sales every day.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
My mother had/has a complete set of Miracle Maid cookware that she got in the late 40's or early 50's. My father was selling it back then as a part time job. That stuff is indestructible. You can still get parts for it. In fact, I have the kettle and use it every morning to boil water for my coffee. (No, I don't have a coffeemaker and never will!)

DH had a brand new set still in the box that he had bought at a party before we ever met. He was so proud to have brought that to our marriage. We had a big shower, but didnt get cookware. I still have it, but it needs replacement handles. Do you have a link, or way to contact the company to order them? TIA!

Posts: 3260 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Becky, here's what I found googling Miracle Maid replacment:

https://biz.regalware.com/alt/PORDERS.pgm

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I need to try to get the replacements!

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Four yrs ago when we moved my husband came home with a set of Wolfgang Puck cookware. I'd been looking at my cookware and complaining the lid knobs were loose and unable to be tightened and handles were loose or falling off. I think they served me well for 45 yrs. I was thrilled to get new cookware. That feeling lasted for about a week....until after I threw out my old pots & pans. What a set of crap did I get. Everything has glass lids. A week after using the set, I'm sitting in another room and I hear this funny noise. It leads me to the kitchen sink where pan was. I'm looking at it hearing this noise and then all of a sudden it shattered into millions of pieces. When I called Wolfgang Puck Co. they told me they could replace this lid under warranty for $17.00 + S/H. Thanks! I can buy this lid for $17.00 - S/h anywhere. Best learned lesson...don't throw out anything you are buying a replacement for until you are absolutely sure you like the new stuff. They don't make things like they used to.

Posts: 272 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goodness! My Calphalon has glass lids which are quite sturdy. I've banged them around for years with no problems. I prefer the glass lids on my Calphalon non-stick to the regular lids on my hard-anodized pieces. Much as I like the non-stick, I have to say that I'd probably go for the regular hard-anodized if I had to do it over. They are almost as easy to clean and they don't require babying.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Nuts!!!!! I never should have mentioned my trusty, old paring knife of 30 years! I just broke it!!!! The blade completely broke off the handle!

Seriously, I use it 50 times a day! It is going to take some time to build a new relationship with another knife....Smile

posted Hide Post
Try a Cutco knife.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I actually have a Cutco knife....but it is not something that I am used to.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Probably like everyone else, I have both old and new.
I forget the brand of my stainless steel pots/pans. DH bought them for me shortly after we got married from Service Merchandise. When they put on their going out of business sale I purchased another set. Now...if they ever need replaced...probably not in my lifetime...I would replace them with All-Clad because it is a good American made brand.

I have one of my grandmother's thick wall aluminum pots...probably Miracle Maid...I use it strictly for candy making.

On to cast iron. (You don't need non-stick anything if you have well-seasoned cast iron!) I have four little skillets that make great individual pot pies. The crust is absolutely delicious! I have two of the next size up...perfect for grilling one sandwich. I have two more skillet-size skillets...LOL...probably 10-12" or 12-14". And a chicken fryer with a cast iron lid. I also have my mother's chicken fryer without a lid, but my bean pot lid fits it. I have a divided skillet which is great for scones or cornbread. And I have 6 or 8 cornstick pans (one of which is a Waggoner brand-which is a big name in old cast iron). I just got back from a Colorado vacation. I did some second-hand store shopping in Cedaredge and Delta. In one store I found a square skillet and a round skillet for $4 EACH!...along with a couple of other cookware items. When I paid out I found out that the kitchen stuff was half price!!! WOW what a bargain! (Since I have more cast iron than one person needs...these two skillets will go to the kids.) In another store I found a Griswold (THE BIG name in collectible cast iron) Dutch oven without a lid for $18 thinking that one of my two cast iron lids had to fit. The chicken fryer lid is a perfect fit. I ALWAYS buy American made cast iron. I've had too much trouble trying to keep Chinese/Taiwanese cast iron seasoned.

I like Old Hickory knives. I have a butcher knife, a thinner knife that was a butcher knife but was ground down, and a paring knife.) They are carbon steel...they will rust and need sharpened often but they hold an edge. I also have a set of Chicago Cutlery knives in a block. AND I really like the smaller RADA knives which are made in USA.

I prefer a manual can opener.

I have my 1971 Pyrex mixing bowl set which I have seen time after time in antique stores listed as "vintage." LOL I prefer the older Pyrex and Corning Ware dishes for baking.

On top of my cabinets I have a few short crocks, bean pots, pitchers, etc. an old cookie jar, sugar/creamer set that my parents got on a trip to New Mexico/Arizona back in the late 50s. I also have my grandmother's real vintage pink Pyrex mixing bowl...it could also be my mother's as she had both in her possession when she gave me one.

I have my grandmother's last set of dishes...Homer Laughlin Rhythm pink magnolia.

My stemware is vintage.
My silverplate flatware was purchased for my mother by my dad back when he made $35 dollars a week and had to make payments on it...King Edward Holiday pattern.

I am a kitchen gadget freak and almost always find something I can use...but it is getting harder. The funny thing...stepdaughter and family were visiting. She started going through my kitchen drawers. "Oooh! I need one of these." OH! Look at this!" "I could use three more of these." She's so easy to shop for Christmas gifts. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16971 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep it and show the rest of us how to live. Smile. A lot of us buy too much. --To many advertizements

Posts: 773 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the complete set of Kitchen Craft pots and pans that I purchased way back in the 50's. My best girlfriend didn't mention that she was sending this salesman over to me at my folks house; so I wasn't expecting him when I was laying out in the back yard sunbathing in my bathing suit. I was so embarrassed! I think I bought that expensive set of pots just to get rid of him. I didn't even have a steady boyfriend at the time so the last thing I needed was an expensive set of pots and pans.

To this day, I have never regretted that purchase. It is one of the smarter things I have done in my lifetime. I'm still using them every day.

Posts: 5968 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 773 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post