Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Good salsa recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good salsa recipe Sign In/Join 
posted
needed: good salsa recipe, thanks

Posts: 347 | Location: Amherst, VA USA | Registered: Jul 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
1 (14 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
1 large tomato, chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 lime, juice of
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1 Mix and enjoy.
2 To increase heat, add canned or fresh jalapenos to taste.

This one is easy and I use it for a quick appetizer.

Credits: This recipe is on the Rotel Tomatoes can label but I copied and pasted from the Food.com website

I never add the jalapenos as it's spicy enough without them for my family.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I can't be bothered making it myself when I can get one in a jar that is as good as Newman's Own. There are several 'flavors' amd my favs are Tequila Lime which is mild and Mango which is medium. Everyone I've served it to likes it also.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I don't have a good tomato salsa recipe, but Georgia Peach's sounds good. I'll have to try that.

I wanted to share two recipes though that are great for serving with corn tortilla chips.

The first is grape salsa. I know it sounds kind of weird, but in the fall when grapes are at their prime I make this, and it is always a hit.

Fresh Grape Salsa
1 cup green seedless grapes roughly chopped
1 cup red seedless grapes roughly chopped
3 Tablespoons chopped red onion
1 Tablespoon seeded, chopped jalapeno
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Salt and pepper

Combine ingredients, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Great with corn tortilla chips or serve it over grilled chicken or fish.
(I leave out the cilantro, as I just don't care for that taste)

And then there is Cowboy Caviar. My family gobbles this scooped up in corn tortilla chips as a starter.

Cowboy Caviar
2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed
1 (17oz) can whole kernel corn,drained(Niblets)
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large avocado, diced
1/2 red onion, chopped

Dressing
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
3-4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix together the cowboy caviar ingredients. Mix the dressing in a separate bowl. Pour over the CC ingredients, gently stir to combine, and chill. Serve with corn tortilla chips.

Anyway, those a two of my family's favorites. Hope someone enjoys them!

Posts: 7240 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanix3
posted Hide Post
How about a Good Mango Salsa.....

3 Red Tomatoe, chopped
1 Med. red onion, chopped
1 Mango, chopped
1 Bushel of Celantro, chopped
1 Fresh Hot Green Pepper of chioce, (i prefer Jalapenos), chopped
Lemon or Lime juice to taste
Salt to taste
Let stand in Fridge for at least 2 hours before serving, enjoy

Posts: 158 | Location: AZ | Registered: Apr 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The recipes sound yummy! I've never heard of grape salsa but will have to try that.

I love that cilantro salsa from Target. Is it Archer Farms brand?

The only other store bought salsa I like is from Vons. Can't remember the name but it has corn and beans in it, comes in a glass jar. I always think I am eating so healthy when I have that.

When I make salsa at home, I cut up some tomatoes and onions and add lemon juice, lime juice, dried cilantro, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, red wine vinegar, sometimes dried oregano. I don't really have a recipe, I just put in some of each of the above and adjust accordingly to taste.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If we're going for different salsas -- we like this Greek one!

Martha

GREEK SALSA

6 large vine ripened tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
1 small jar Kalamata olives, sliced
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
Corn chips

Mix all the ingredients except corn chips. Serve at room temperature with corn chips for dipping.

Posts: 6166 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Cocok, I make that same kind of salad/salsa but I add cilantro to it. Guess its just individual taste.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6708 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... after reading these recipes I might have to start making salsa instead of just buying my fav in a jar! Smile

For those who dislike cilantro there is an interesting reason for that - depends on your genetics! I've never liked the flavor and wondered how people could claim they liked it. Now I know why. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...study_n_1901124.html

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I've ever made it, but I've certainly eaten it and its great. Make the salsa with at least half of the tomatoes and peppers roasted. Give a whole other depth to the flavor.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6708 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
lol

I used to tease a good friend about this. She never would tell me her recipe! And everyone here just shares. I wonder why?

Nanix, your mango salsa is very similar to our's. Minus the mango. This year, I made sure we had cilantro & red onions planted. The tomatoes are having an excellent this year, too. AND...the secret to cilantro...grow in indirect sunlight and cilantro will last longer. I won't tell you how many years it took me to figure out this trick.

Posts: 5228 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I have yet to find a good commercial salsa but I will give Charcoalsmom's Target suggestion a try (I love cilantro).

This is how I usually make mine:

4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 lg. cloves chopped garlic
2 minced jalapeno peppers
2 Tb or more cilantro, chopped
1 Tb fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 ts salt
Pinch of sugar
1 ts olive oil
1/8 ts cumin, optional

This isn't any good the next day. Frown

Posts: 6054 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
Cocok, I make that same kind of salad/salsa but I add cilantro to it. Guess its just individual taste.

The recipe actually calls for cilantro, but I can't stand cilantro so I leave it out.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joyluck:

For those who dislike cilantro there is an interesting reason for that - depends on your genetics! I've never liked the flavor and wondered how people could claim they liked it. Now I know why. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...study_n_1901124.html

So interesting. That explains a lot! I also think cilantro tastes like soap.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
lol

I used to tease a good friend about this. She never would tell me her recipe! And everyone here just shares. I wonder why?

Interesting Trish212. I have also known people who would not share recipes. I have never understood it. I figure why not share the love. I have many recipes from dear friends and I think of them every time I get their recipe out and make it. Warms my heart every time to remember them, and how they have contributed to my family table. What could be better?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We swear by Texas Tech Salsa and you don't have to be a Red Raider to enjoy it.

Ingredients:
1 can Hunt's Chopped Tomatoes (no substitutes) -- DO NOT DRAIN
1/2 to 1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
lots of chopped fresh cilantro
sea salt to taste

Put all ingredients into food processor. Run for about 1 - 2 minutes. Serve immediately at room temperature.

Can be prepared hours ahead (or even overnight) but do NOT add cilantro until just before serving and bring up to temperature for best taste.

NOTE: Most of the heat in the jalapeno is in the white ribs, so removing them will give you a milder version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5327 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
aychihuahua, is that a 16-oz or 28-oz can of Hunts?

Posts: 6054 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, let me know how you like that salsa from Target. :-)

Interesting about genetics and cilantro. I used to not like cilantro and now I love it.

So all of you have inspired me and I made a combination of recipes. Using Del Monte canned tomatoes with rosemary and something else I can't remember (I have two fresh tomatoes that I might add in but for now, just the canned tomatoes--and not that many of them, maybe 1/3 of a can--the rest of the tomatoes went into the meat I am making), I added some dark purple grapes (cut up), mangos, onions, a dash of lemon and lime juice, salt, sugar, and red pepper flakes. I would have added cilantro but I don't have any.

Honestly, it is delicious. I've never tasted anything like it. I bet the family won't care for it but it is so different, tastes so fresh, that I really like it. :-)

posted Hide Post
No, not Del Monte canned tomatoes but Hunts diced tomatoes with rosemary and oregano.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
What size can of Hunts?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
What size can of Hunts?

16 oz. can; sorry I shoulda mentioned that.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Well, I went to Target today and purchased a jar of that Archers Farms cilantro salsa. I believe I mentioned that I have never met a store-bought salsa that I liked, so you're not going to believe what I did.

After paying for the salsa, I had the checker open the jar for me because I told her I was headed to the grocery store to do my big weekly shopping and that I needed to test the Archer Farms salsa to let me know if I still needed to buy my usual fixings for my regular homemade salsa recipe. (She probably thought I was crazy.) Then I walked over to the snack bar area and got me a plastic spoon. Guess what . . . I wound up buying a can of Hunt's Tomatoes, a jalapeno, cilantro, a white onion, and I'm going to try making aychihuahua's recipe tomorrow (I didn't care for the Archer Farms salsa). If I don't like aychihuahua's recipe, I'll just make my usual recipe.

Oh darn, I just checked my Hunt's can and it doesn't have the rosemary and oregano in it. I suppose I could always add some if I think it needs it.

Well, there's always Plan B, I do have a can of Ro-Tel on hand! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

posted Hide Post
Ack, CALori! I am so sorry you didn't like that cilantro salsa. I feel bad recommending it to you.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh darn, I just checked my Hunt's can and it doesn't have the rosemary and oregano in it. I suppose I could always add some if I think it needs it.

Lori, if it is not too late, my salsa recipe uses PLAIN Hunt's chopped tomatoes, not flavored. The rosemary and oregano version would not work.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks, aychihuahua, that's good news.

BTW, DH liked the Archer Farms cilantro salsa. And I must say that when I combined it with a tortilla chip, it was much better than just eating it off of a spoon! LOL

So I'm going to bring both of these to my outing tomorrow and see which my friends like better.

BTW, I looked at my can of Ro-Tel, and there was no salsa recipe on it (just their "Famous Queso Dip"). I know that I used to have a Ro-Tel recipe in my card file but I can't find it (most likely I've misfiled it--I do that quite often!). I wanted to see if it was the same as Georgia Peach's recipe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
salsa recipe

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 small cloves garlic, minced
3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
2 hot chili peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and pepper

Preparation:

1. Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer; pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain thoroughly. Discard water. Cool.
2. Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend flavors.
Makes about 2 cups of salsa.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post