Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cranberry Sauce Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted
I make a friend's Brandied Cranberries every year & they're very popular. I can make them ahead & they stay good for months in the fridge. I have often used peach brandy or cherry or whatever's in there. It doesn't take much.
Well, this year I was making them after dinner last week...& when I went to the pantry for the Brandy,I saw the peach label right in the front - grabbed it - sloshed it on & put the dish back in the oven. Done.
Well, the next morning when I opened the pantry door I noticed that bottle was Peach Schnapps! Oh well. No one noticed a thing.
Now the joke is about the brandy/schnapps berries.

Posts: 6664 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Here's the recipe:

Kim's Brandied Cranberries
1 package raw cranberries
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brandy
Grease a glass pan & spread cranberries 1-2 deep. Sprinkle with sugar & cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
Pour brandy over everything & bake 10 minutes more.
Will keep in the refrigerator for months.
Makes a great gift presented in a pretty bowl or jar with a lid.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Actually, brandy and schnapps are both distilled alcohol. Schnapps is grain base. The schanpps has flavoring and usually syrup added to it. (i.e. peach schanpps is NOT made from peaches -- it's alcohol, peach flavoring and syrup).

Brandy is distilled from grapes. And for the most part peach brandy is peach flavoring added to brandy.

So although there is a difference in flavor (the peach), it's all really alcohol.

Martha

Posts: 6138 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
booze is booze Wink
We decided it wouldn't make any difference. That's why we went ahead served it.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. After you add the brandy, should it be covered again?

Posts: 6038 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
yes.
If you don't cover it, you end up with cranberry fruit leather. Wink

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Quiltzilla - loved your comment, "Booze is booze." Absolutely - and using what one has on hand is also a very good idea.

Seaborne

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Last year, my husband made cranberry sauce from scratch. This year was my first time....My mother had only used canned cranberry sauce, so guess where I learned it?

I read a recipe and couldn't relocate it when I went to make it. I just knew there were 3 ingredients: a bag of cranberries, 4 peeled sliced cored pears and maple syrup. Since I couldn't find the original recipe....I started reading others. I ended up doing the following- No oranges I used 2 spoonfuls of orange juice concentrate, a tsp. of freshly grated ginger, and sprinkling of cinnamon, 5 small apples peeled, sliced & cored all in a crockpot. Oh my! I'm NEVER going back to canned cranberry sauce. In fact...the two cans I have, I'll be donating to the food bank. Smile

Posts: 5227 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
From scratch anything is ALWAYS better!

Martha

Posts: 6138 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, so easy to make and so tasty. Will never be buying ready-made again. It froze very well too.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post