Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Heads-up on holiday baking ingredients
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heads-up on holiday baking ingredients Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
I was at the store today. Hershey's baking chips were on sale. They apparently have old stock and new stock, because there were some bags weighing 12 oz. [11.5 for milk choc.] and others weighing 10 oz. or 9 oz.

So beware that these products are shrinking like everything else. You might want to stock up on bigger packages before the smaller ones are all you can find.

Posts: 4359 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeez. Will this "shrinkage" never quit? Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 6747 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the size change.

Chocolate is supposed to go out of this world price wise...so that may be the reason for the small packages.
I HATE when they do this.
Guess I'll pick up some of the 72 oz. bags at Sam's or Costco when I head that direction!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4392 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandy O !
posted Hide Post
I just noticed the 2 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate are now 1 ounce and the price is about the same!!

Posts: 1259 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I bought some half price Christmas chocolate - Dove and Hershey's - milk chocolate and dark chocolate. I immediately dropped it in the freezer as soon as I got home. I can chop it for cookies...or whatever later on.

The main thing is to keep it out of my sight for now!

I am sick and tired of packaging being downsized. Certain recipes call for a package of ------. Some state '7 ounce package.' So if what you need now comes in 6 ounce packaging you have to decide if the recipe will work with 6 ounces or if you need to buy another just to get the extra ounce.

Posts: 16569 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I recently baked cookies for husband's workplace. The cookies were a success. I had to admit to using "box" mix to start the cookie. He told me his colleague went out and bought four boxes.
Today, I decided to try the treats again but with a different brand. It had 8 oz less in the box. So, I added 2 oz. extra of oatmeal since I did recognize this as an ingredient our's didn't have. Then, to make it as "rich" in chocolate, added 2 T. dutch cocoa. I reduced the butter by 1/4 of the original and....oh my! It was great! Now, I'm sharing this modification with her so she can have this should the "box" disappear. Hub had a colleague who teased me and said I needed to keep trying till I could improve them. Little did he know, the challenge was on, and I HAVE.

Posts: 5067 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Stepping out on a limb here, but obviously it's an MBA man's world in manufacturing foodstuffs.
If they ever asked any women who cook about whether to raise the price of a product and leave the size alone vs shrinking the size and keeping the same price.....they'd obviously get an snswer to which they would not abide.
Like I've always said - just let them mess with the can size on cream soups and they will have a war!

Posts: 2642 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Like we're not paying attention.

Many of us are learning what WE can do. We just have to pass this information onto the young who don't know the difference like we do. What do THEY have to compare to? And this is the population that loses and don't know it. So I continue to teach when given an opportunity. It seems I now know even more than I use to; I share when asked, or opportunities arise. Big Grin

Posts: 5067 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
just let them mess with the can size on cream soups and they will have a war!

I wonder if somewhere along the line they did not decrease size of canned soups. Not creamed in particular, but when I was young I remember my whole family (at least 5 or 6 of us at a time) having one can of scotch broth soup (I love that) for lunch.

Posts: 12214 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post