Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Ground turkey and Stovetop Stuffing Meatloaf??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground turkey and Stovetop Stuffing Meatloaf?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I just came across this recipe and since it saves me a trip to the store (I have the ingreds.), I'd like to make this tonight. Just wondered if anyone here has ever made it this way?

Some of the reviewers said it was too wet, some subbed milk for water, and one said the Stove Top website says to use 2 lbs. of meat. But the majority of the reviewers said the recipe was perfect as written. Several reviewers did say it needed to be cooked longer.

1 Pound Ground Meat (Beef or Turkey)
1 Egg
1 Box Stuffing Mix
1 Cup Water
Mix everything together, smoosh it into a loaf pan, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Note: Valetta, on this board, cooks the stuffing first per directions on box and then adds it to the ground turkey. Maybe that would be the better way to go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Since ground turkey has never found its way into my shopping cart I will answer as if it were using ground beef.

That seems like a lot of stuffing for 1 lb of meat. Perhaps use 1 cup of the stuffing and reduce the water to 1/4 cup?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, as a matter of fact this is similar to one I concocted. I mix ground turkey with some Stove Top mix (not entire pkg.), a beaten egg, sage, pepper, diced and peeled apple, some golden raisins ( these ensure juiciness), sage and some ground rosemary. The stuffing has other spices including salt and dried onion. It's yummy.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BTW, I don't precook the stuffing nor add water. Between the egg and apple I find it's not necessary. Sorry I don't have ratios or proportions. I use about 1/2 box of stuffing to a lb of ground turkey tho.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
That seems like a lot of stuffing for 1 lb of meat.

It does to me too. I don't use stuffing mixes as it is so easy to use up crusts of bread and some stale slices to make your own stuffing or crumbs. I usually have a bag in the freezer. Actually I enjoy doing this.

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest comparing your favorite meatloaf recipe to gage for ingredients. My meatloaf ia 1# of meat, and 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of milk. It lists a fresh bread crumb substitute of 1 cup for the dried crumbs.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
well I'm glad I popped in over here today - I'll have this in the oven in a jiffy for tonight's dinner.

Thanks!

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popping back in on this to say "Thanks" for this recipe. DH really enjoyed it. Super easy and while I might tweak it a bit next time, it was a hit!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
junk you didn't have to add any salt did you? we usually steer clear of stovetop because of the sodium content...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Won't be making it again. Probably won't buy ground turkey again either!

Posts: 5880 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
CA, don't give up on it. I add the diced/peeled apple, golden raisins along with some stuffing mix an egg and some sage. It always comes out moist and delicious. Surf the Web for additional recipes too.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
LOL - CA Lori, It didn't sound like a winner to me, especially with ground turkey.

But a lot of people seem to like ground turkey, or claim they do because it is supposed to be healthier than ground beef. Wink

Froo Froo, You're killing me with the apples and raisins added to it. Adding sage to enhance the poultry flavor - and I'm turning green. Eek

This is not anything against anyone's recipes - it is just we all have different tastes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Won't be making it again. Probably won't buy ground turkey again either!

LOL I hear you. For many years at work cafeteria DH enjoys the meatloaf lunch when offered.

Recently he encountered ground turkey subbed for beef & asked the servers what happened.
"Corporate asked us to try their recipe."
"Well then I want the name of the fellow who requested you do this so I can speak to him."

When he got to lunch the next day & his colleagues were complaining about the switch he admitted this just might be the thing that pushes him over the edge to sign retirement papers. DON'T MESS WITH THE MEATLOAF!

And they haven't offered turkey in it since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
One half cup of prepared StoveTop Stuffing has more sodium, fat and calories than 10 potato chips!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
junk you didn't have to add any salt did you? we usually steer clear of stovetop because of the sodium content...

I followed the recipe as written but will likely use a different stuffing/bread product if I make it again. DH enjoyed it, but I thought it needed something. No, I didn't add salt - I figured the stuffing was enough. Plus it made soooo much that the leftovers had to be put in the freezer. Maybe next time I'll do more on the sage, onion, and celery addition.

We do use ground turkey. I'll swap it for beef in chili recipes or if I'm making a nacho or taco salad. Something where the spices are "strong".