Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Individual Apple Tart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Individual Apple Tart Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I made these for company dessert last night. They're really good. I did use the pastry in the recipe but your own would work or even Pillsbury refrigerated! I served them with whipped cream flavored with Calvados (apple brandy) and a bit of cinnamon.

Martha

INDIVIDUAL APPLE TARTS

pastry:

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
2 T sugar
1 egg yolk
2 to 3 T. very cold water

In large bowl mix together flour, sugar and salt. Using your hand or pastry cutter, rub the cold butter into the flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal or breadcrumbs (I used my food processor).

Add in egg yolk and cold water and mix until dough comes together (again I used the food processor). Form it into a disk and chill the dough for an hour before using.

FOR THE APPLE FILLING:

4 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and slice thinly
4 T. brown sugar (more if you like sweeter)
1 T. butter
1 t. cinnamon

1 egg beaten

In a pan, warm up butter and add in the apple and sugar. Cook until the apple soften and juice reduced. Turn off heat and add in cinnamon. Let it cool.

Grease tart molds with some butter. Roll out the pastry to about 1/8 inch and line the pastry into the tart pan.

Put the filling into the tart pan and cover the top with the balance of the pastry.

Brush the top with beaten egg and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes or until golden.

NOTE: I think you could use one big tart pan or pie shell to make this as well.

It was really good. My guests agreed.

And I do like individual desserts -- everyone gets a whole one instead of a piece of one!

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks absolutely delicious, Lindefhof, and I don't even (usually) eat desert!

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
LInderhof - I'm also here in the Midwest but our state liquor commission doesn't include Calvados on their list of allowed items to be sold in stores. I'm getting to the bottom of my bottle, which is a huge elongated teardrop shaped colored glass bottle.
Next up are two bottles I bought in Paris and packed in my luggage.

But what brand do you have available in your area?
Also have checked in Tulsa but didn't find it.

The liquor commission here is so beyond the times. When I travel I find all different brands and bottle sizes.
It would take me eons to finish one of the tall bottles of Frangelico (that is the only one available here.) Out of state I found a little bottle of the stuff which is just perfect for my shelf. Same for Grand Marnier, and the small bottle is affordable occasionally vs the biggest bottle sold.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Agree about individual desserts - and they serve so much more neatly.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
One thing I like about individual desserts is that there aren't leftovers. I like to have a dessert once in a while, but I don't want to be tempted by the leftovers the next day! "Eat one and be done" - that's my motto!

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cocock -- And this makes 4 which is nice for company!

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
They look wonderful!

DH makes some delicious lemon and lime tarts in some cute 4 inch tart pans I have. Perfect size dessert after a meal.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encourage you to try my apple tart. Ask about my free samples!!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1...c-french-apple-tart?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey Chef: no advertising allowed here. Instead why don't you post the recipe for it and be a honest contributor???

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I just requested deletion for advertising which isn't allowed, but we'll see if it works or not.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Advertising for apple tart. Why should we try those when Martha just provided her delicious recipe?!

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful, Linderhof.

Lurah, at least most alcohol products don't go bad. I agree that liquor laws are some of the most convoluted and archaic of all of the laws in our nation.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post