Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need 1 quart homemade ice cream recipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 1 quart homemade ice cream recipes Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
Yesterday I bought a new 1 quart ice cream maker at a yard sale for $3. Quite a bargain, but the manual was missing and I have no recipes to use.

I googled and cooks.com came up with a ton of recipes but I could not find a quart recipe -- they were all for 1 1/2 quart or more.

Does anyone out there have a good vanilla or chocolate recipe, tried and true?

I did read one recipe for a larger machine that called for 4 eggs and was uncooked. Is that safe?

I appreciate any help available. The base is in the freezer and will be ready to go by tonight.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've always made larger batches, too, so I'd have to just wing it for one quart.

I grew up eating ice cream with uncooked eggs in it, but then we had our own hens for the eggs. Nowadays, I pretty much do a cooked version because you don't know about the eggs.

Hopefully somebody will be along soon.

And you've reminded me that we haven't had homemade ice cream in forever. It's time!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6256 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Just reduce the amounts of the ingredients in the 1 1/2 quart recipes by one third.

You can safely use raw eggs if you buy the pasteurized ones. If you can't find those, there's a method to briefly heat them without cooking them that makes them safe, but I can't remember it.

My favorite recipes for vanilla ice cream start with a cooked custard. Here's the one I regularly use in my little IC maker.

Frozen Custard

1 cup whole milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup light cream or half-and-half
2 tablespoons good-quality vanilla
[Ice cream needs heavy doses of vanilla, because the flavor can fade in the frozen mixture. If you want, you can use 1 tb. of vanilla extract along with a scraped vanilla bean.]

Scald milk in a double boiler.* Beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Beating constantly, slowly pour the scalded milk over the beaten mixture. Return the mixture to the double boiler and cook until it coats a spoon.
Add the cream and vanilla and freeze according to directions. Makes approx. 1 quart

*(I use a heavy pot, low to med-low heat, and stir constantly. Takes too long in the double boiler. My way may not work unless you have heavy cookware, so be cautious about it.)

I make this one at least once each peach season, and again from peaches from my freezer stash in the winter. I LOVE this recipe:

Peach Sherbet

2 lbs. ripe peaches
1 1/4 cups superfine sugar (called "Baker's Sugar" by C&H. If you can't find that, you can whir regular sugar in the blender until it becomes finer)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups non- or low-fat dairy buttermilk

Peel the peaches by dipping into boiling water for one minute. Dip into ice water; slip off the skins. Cut into quarters, catching the juice drippings; discard pits.

In a food processor or blender jar, puree the peaches and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients and freeze according to manufacturer's directions for your machine.

I've never made chocolate ice cream, so have no tried and true to share.

I have a booklet that came with my freezer containing eighteen 1-quart recipes. If you'd like to have them, PM me your e-mail address. I wouldn't mind scanning and sending you a copy. Just keep in mind I haven't tried most of the recipes, so I can't guarantee the results.

Posts: 4367 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I got an ice cream bowl attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. Had to have it! It stayed in the freezer for over a year before I ever made ice cream. Sigh...I don't "need" ice cream. However, a week or so ago I finally made a batch. OH MY!

The recipe is on King Arthur Flour site. But I did not follow the directions. It said to cook it but it had no eggs, so I didn't.
This is my version of Chocolate Decadence

1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (You might want less)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup cream
1 cup whole milk

It called for 1 cup chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips but I had none so Omitted these. Even chocoholic me did not miss the extra chocolate.

Combine cocoa, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly whisk in cream and milk.
Stir until all sugar is dissolved.

It is better to chill this a couple of hours so it will freeze faster.

Pour it into your ice cream maker, watching fill line carefully. Add more whole milk if necessary.

Operate your freezer according to directions. This was slushy in my ice cream maker. But of course we had to try it. Smile What I froze, I set it out the next evening just before we sat down to eat supper. It was perfect for serving.

The thing with the 1 1/2 qt recipes, just cut down on the liquid. Or freeze it in a freezer container...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16602 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:

I have a booklet that came with my freezer containing eighteen 1-quart recipes. If you'd like to have them, PM me your e-mail address. I wouldn't mind scanning and sending you a copy. Just keep in mind I haven't tried most of the recipes, so I can't guarantee the results.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to make both your recipes and if this seems like something I will continue with, I would like to take you up on your offer. Thanks.

The frozen custard sounds easy. After I do a chocolate recipe, this will be the one I try. I will report back!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
It stayed in the freezer for over a year before I ever made ice cream.

That's too funny!!!

I did not realize ice cream recipes could be so forgiving and easily adjusted. I'm in my mid-sixties and have never, ever, made ice cream before. Well, maybe cranked some out when I was a kid with the salt and ice and such, but not as an adult, when I was paying attention ;-)

I've got the chocolate mixture in the fridge chilling so about 7 tonight I will put it in the machine and see what happens.

I'm going to see if I can find the manual online now -- I got the top put together but have no idea how long to keep it running, etc.

posted Hide Post
PS I did not follow their recipe exact. My version is above.
They cooked it and used cornstarch in it. Also Kahlua. (I don't like coffee so definitely do not like coffee liqueur.)

Check the King Arthur Flour website for more recipes.

YES! The recipe is extremely forgiving. For vanilla you could just mix together sugar, cream, milk, vanilla...and freeze...ta-da!

Posts: 16602 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MyLife
Does your machine have a insert that goes into the freezer? Or do you fill it, plug it in, and put it in your freezer to run?

My "bowl" is supposed to be in the freezer for 8-12 hours!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
MyLife
Does your machine have a insert that goes into the freezer? Or do you fill it, plug it in, and put it in your freezer to run?

My "bowl" is supposed to be in the freezer for 8-12 hours!

I put the bowl in the freezer early this morning. It's filled with something -- water? gel? I don't know what it is. The beater attaches to the lid/motor which plugs in. I'm still looking for instructions. The brand of the machine just says "Ice Cream Maker" -- on the bottom of the box is says distributed by Rite Aid.

ETA: I can't believe it! I found the manual. And it has about 10 recipes in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

posted Hide Post
GREAT!!!! If you eat ice cream while walking on the treadmill it negates the calories...
Wink

Next time I make this I'm going to throw in some almonds. (My book says to put the additions in toward the end.)

posted Hide Post
Chocolate ice cream turned out great. It did not "freeze" in the machine though -- had to put it in the freezer to firm up. I suspect I did not let the bowl stay in the freezer long enough nor let the ice cream mixture get cold enough -- just too anxious to wait I guess.

The taste is great. Texture creamy and smooth. I was concerned about the full fat cream that went into the mixture, but the ice cream is so rich that one or two spoonfuls at a time is satisfying, so overeating is not a concern.

I am putting the bowl back in the freezer today in anticipation of making the vanilla custard next week to go with the strawberries I will be picking tomorrow (if the fields are open).

Thanks for your help.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
... It did not "freeze" in the machine though -- had to put it in the freezer to firm up. I suspect I did not let the bowl stay in the freezer long enough nor let the ice cream mixture get cold enough...

As far as I know, there are no machines that freeze more solidly than what can be called "soft serve". Also, the directions with mine say that freezing the bowl for at least 24 hours at 0°F is optimal. Refrigerator freezer compartments rarely are that cold, so I use my deep freezer for chilling the bowl.

I remember a Fourth of July week when I made two batches of an eggy-rich frozen custard for company. There were leftovers... Lucky me. I went for a cholesterol measurement three days later. It was unusually off the charts... LOL
(ooooohh, this story reminds me... This is an EXCELLENT recipe for vanilla from Alton Brown. It's a extra-special one, if you want to give it a go. You'll have to do the math to reduce it by 1/3 for a smaller machine.)

Vanilla Ice Cream from Alton Brown, Good Eats
Yield 1 1/2 quarts

3 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
9 ounces vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

Episode#: EA0905
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4367 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're supposed to let the freezer sit for a while so the ice cream can finish "firming up". Fat chance of that happening most of the time. When I do want to do that, I take the dasher out so that it won't be in the way when its time to dish up.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6256 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's "slushy" right out of the freezer bowl. My bowl instructions said do not freeze the ice cream in the bowl but to put it in something else to freeze. Be sure to read the directions on yours. Besides, if you freeze the ice cream in the bowl, it delays the time before you can make another batch!

posted Hide Post
Oh, Nettiejay, that A. Brown recipe looks like a heart attack in a bowl! But won't that be delicious next week with fresh picked strawberries on it? Yum.

I did transfer my ice cream out of the freezer bowl into another before freezing it. The online guide said not to use metal utensils of any kind on the bowl. The empty bowl is now back in the freezer in anticipation of making the vanilla ice cream next week.

posted Hide Post