Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Making Soda Bread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making Soda Bread Sign In/Join 
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted
I've got soda bread in the oven. Used my friend's recipe and she's a fabulous cook. We'll see if mine turns our anywhere near as good as hers. First time trying it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6849 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Please send recipe if you have success. I always buy mine at Publix at this time of year. I love it!

html

Posts: 2541 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Irish soda bread is sooooo easy and very good. We had some last night with the corned beef and trimmings and I really think that we would've been satisfied with just bread and butter. LOL

Here's the link to my recipe with photos:
http://keepyouinstitches.blogs...h?q=irish+soda+bread

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The jury is still out. I'll let you know. It's pretty, though.

Posts: 6849 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Mine is different -- no raisins and it's a moister bread than most. IMO, a lot of Irish Soda Bread is just a big biscuit or scone -- this is more like a bread.

TOP OF THE TOWER IRISH SODA BREAD

Top of the Tower Irish Soda Bread

3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. soda
2 c. buttermilk (and use real buttermilk —I’ve tried vinegar milk and it really isn’t the same)
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. butter, melted

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir to mix. Blend egg and buttermilk. Add all at once to flour mixture and stir until it’s all moistened. Stir in melted butter.
Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 325 for 60 to 75 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not undertake. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Place in air tight wrap and store at leaf 8 hours before serving.

Posts: 6381 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recipe is very similar to Linderhof's. A bit less buttermilk and a bit less butter, but I think I'd like hers better. I do like raisins in mine, though.

Here's a shot of my skillet toasted soda bread, along side the round.

Oh, my recipe called for baking at 350 for an hour. No Way!! I stopped at 45 minutes and even that dried it out a bit I think. Another reason why I think a bit more buttermilk and butter would keep it more moist. Tastes good, though. DH and I both are eating it. My cake pan was only 8 inches, so I had to put some batter in another small dish so it wouldn't run over the top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Very pretty FFG -- very pretty! Love the skillet toasted pieces. I've never done that.

Martha

Posts: 6381 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I think soda bread is supposed to be dry. I like it any way I can get it. Soda bread that is. Looks good farmgirl

html

Posts: 2541 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
My recipe is very similar to Linderhof's. A bit less buttermilk and a bit less butter, but I think I'd like hers better. I do like raisins in mine, though.

Here's a shot of my skillet toasted soda bread, along side the round.

Oh, my recipe called for baking at 350 for an hour. No Way!! I stopped at 45 minutes and even that dried it out a bit I think. Another reason why I think a bit more buttermilk and butter would keep it more moist. Tastes good, though. DH and I both are eating it. My cake pan was only 8 inches, so I had to put some batter in another small dish so it wouldn't run over the top.

Even I like raisins. And the bread looks so soft and tender.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, I made your recipe soda bread last night. I think I took it out too soon. I had the loaf pan and a small round pan for the extra batter. I knew the small one would come out quicker and when it pulled away from the sides of the pan, I took it out and toothpick tested and it was done. The loaf pan was left in for another 25 minutes and it did stick a little in the pan. It also was checked with the dry toothpick test. It tastes great and I am happy with it. I doubt that a real Irish colleen would agree with me though.

html

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I have "accidents" with bottoms of loaves (not just soda bread) -- so I often line the bottom with parchment. It helps!

But glad that you liked the way it tasted. It's my favorite for it's more moist than most!

Martha