Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  OT storing silver jewelry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT storing silver jewelry Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
For years I've been using those chemically treated cloths, but now some of the pieces are getting quite black. I bought some Tarn-X but that's a nuisance.

How do you keep your sterling silver pieces from tarnishing? A friend told me to store the pieces in a zip lock bag.

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told that wasn't a good idea.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about flatware or hollowware? I bought silver cloth yardage from the JoAnn fabric store and sewed bags to hold each hollowware piece. Then I slip the cloth-covered pieces into large (1 and 2-gallon) plastic zip bags. It works great... Has greatly reduced my need to polish.

Edit:
I see your subject line says "jewelry". I used scraps from the hollowware bags to make small bags to hold my silver chains. This works, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4624 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would store the jewellery in plastic storage bags like Glad or Ziploc. A friend of mine is a conservator at a major museum where we live and recommends these bags for storage because they are food safe which means they are safe storage.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I use plastic bags to store my sterling flatware and serving pieces. Works great. When I do polish, I use the cream-like paste.

Seaborne

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Zip lock plastic bags are the best, at helping to keep the polished silver from tarnishing. (it tends to happen faster when exposed to air, thus the plastic bags help) It is what jewelers do with sterling in storage too.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere to not let the plastic come in contact with the silver. So...I have a few silver spoons that are not in the silver box wrapped in a piece of flannel and then in the zipper plastic bag.

And I have NO idea why I don't just put them in the silver chest with the rest of the silverware. I guess I'm afraid that since they aren't the same pattern that they will co-mingle and no telling what I will find if I leave them to their own devices. LOL Big Grin

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kyis, a place for everything and nothing not in its own place!!!! One cannot be too careful these days.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Never use plastic that contains polyvinyl for either silver or photos. It was more common in the past and had a sulfur(acid) compound in it. Any acid will damage and tarnish both silver and photos.
Ever used silver plate spoons or forks to serve/eat pickles or cantaloupe? The vinegar and fruit acids will react with the silver and repolishing will be needed.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of sterling silver jewelry. the bracelets are in a wooden box that is lined with a silk type fabric.

The chain type necklaces are in a plastic finishing tackle small box. Rings are in a ring section of a large jewelry box (fabric lined)

I never clean my sterling jewelry (or rarely) always wear at least one bracelet and never remove jewelry when bathing etc. although I do try to remember to remove rings if immersing hands in a clorox solution as that will blacken the silver.

Posts: 12929 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Nearly all of my silver jewelry is stored open (unbagged) in jewelry boxes too. Tarnish often comes from airborn sulfur, so it can depend on your environment as well as your storage box. If you do clean it with either the cleaning cloths or silver cleaner, many of them also will transfer a wax coating along with the polish to help preserve and protect from tarnish. (unless you get into bleach or swimming pool chlorine, as LOS mentioned above)

Note to anyone using any OLD dip type silver cleaner:

Some of the old stuff (and it seems to last forever) is highly toxic (many arsenic and lead based), I do have some, but only use this occasionally on intricate chains, as it is harsh but quick when you have a lot of tiny areas. Wear protective gloves, and RINSE THIS cleaner off your silver WELL IN HOT WATER, as the poison can transfer to your skin if not removed.

"Goddard" now makes a safer dip type, which I would recommend for some chains.