Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread machine Sign In/Join 
Picture of justaquiltin'
posted
Thinking of bringing the bread maker out. Had for more than 20 yrs. I want to make dough in it but bake in oven. Any ideas where I can find info to do this? Since I moved haven't found my recipe book. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 276 | Location: , | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
That is how I use my machine.

Go on line and look up your manufacturer and find out the loaf size it makes. Look on line for bread machine recipes. My favorite recipe is Virginia Light Rolls. Very versatile and really good.

For a 1 1/2 or 2 lb loaf machine -
1 cup plus 1 T milk
3 T honey
2 large eggs
6 T butter or margarine cut into pieces
4 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. SAF yeast or 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
4 T melted butter for brushing.

Place ingredients in machine in order give by manufacturer. Set for dough cycle. If dough ball seems too sticky add 2 - 3 extra tablespoons of flour.

At the end of the dough cycle remove the dough and place on a flour covered work surface. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a cylinder. Cut each half into 8 pieces.

Shape rolls - parkerhouse, small loaf shape, fan, butter horn, etc. Or easiest - in muffin tins. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover loosely and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size - about 45 min.

Preheat oven to 375 bake for 25- 28 minutes until golden brown.

You can also make brown and serve rolls from this recipe. I use small disposable pie tins place for the rolls. Go all the way through letting the rolls rise. Preheat the oven to 300. Bake until the rolls are fully baked but not brown about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Wrap in plastic and then foil. Store for up to 2 days in refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 weeks.

To serve = Let the frozen rolls thaw in the wrapper at room temp or in the refrigerator over night. Preheat to 375 and bake for 15 minutes.

Great to serve at holidays - homemade rolls without having to make them that week.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sister uses her machine like that for dough during "pizza weather"... when you're willing to turn on oven. Pushes some buttons to get it to mix, knead, let rise, etc. but STOP before baking.

You can usually final MANUALS at maker's web site... might need a model number.

I bought one at a yard sale... cuz it was super CLEAN... either never or rarely/tenderly used. It worked just fine, but I found I just didn't use it enough to justify the space it took up. So cleaned it up and donated to GW.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
By all means do an online search for the manual for your machine.

My bread machine chimes after the kneading process so that I know to take the dough out for rolls or cinnamon bread, etc.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justaquiltin'
posted Hide Post
I found my manual but didn't have instructions for baking in the oven. Should I follow standard time for bread?

Posts: 276 | Location: , | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Yes. You can use any bread recipe. Let the machine knead the dough. Then remove from the bread maker at the end of the kneading cycle. Read your recipe and let the dough rest/punch it down/form/bake according to your recipe.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post