Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  cole slaw advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cole slaw advice needed Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
My mom used to make the best cole slaw but I don't. Want to make some today or tomorrow, anyone make a good one?

The lobster Shack here puts crushed pineapple in theirs but otherwise I am lost!

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My grandmother's coleslaw is shredded cabbage (we don't chop but if that's what you prefer you could do that), thinly sliced white or yellow onion (I prefer white but use a yellow if that's what I have rather than going to the store) -- one head of cabbage to one onion. 1 T. celery seed and then the dressing is 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar and 1 T. dry mustard heated together just until the bowl, add 1 cup oil, heat again just until the boil and pour over cabbage/onion mixture. Lasts a good long time in the fridge and really best if made at least in the morning before serving but could do it the day before.

It's my German grandmother's recipe but whether or not it's German I don't know.

My other coleslaw -- from the Kansas side of the family is from the Brookville Hotel, now in Abilene, Kansas but for years in Brookville, Kansas. They were famous for their fried chicken dinners and their coleslaw.

Brookville Hotel Coleslaw

1 head cabbage
salt
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. vinegar
1 cup cream (whipping cream)

She always chopped her cabbage and put in the fridge like in the morning. Then she added the sugar, vinegar and cream and tossed and chilled about 30 minutes before serving.

Neither has mayo in them and they are both sweet/sour. I often make up the Brookville one for the two of us using a small amount of cabbage and adjusting the dressing to the amount of cabbage.

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I'm a coleslaw purist -- cabbage, onion, perhaps some carrot -- all winter foods -- no pineapple, green pepper or anything "foreign"! LOL!

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I at one time did shred the cabbage but since I am the only one at home now that likes it I just buy the packaged chopped cabbage with the red cabbage, green and carrot. Rinse and refrigerate. I mix 3/4 c of mayo, 2 heaping tablespoons of sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons of apple or cider vinegar. Mix well, then I take I/2 can of pineapple chunks and drain taste mayo mixture to be sure it has a sweet tang then pour mixture over cabbage that has been rinsed and dried. add pineapple. I do not add the mix and pineapple until an hour before serving. You can also use the pineapple juice into the mayo to get a nice taste but not too much.

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try them both but will start with Martha's first recipe first, in honor of my Dad's German grandparents!

Martha that seems like a lot of liquid. Is it necessary to drain the cole slaw before serving or is it absorbed.

My mom always used a box grater for shredding so that is what I will do!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
No, there is dressing in the bottom of the bowl although some is absorbed by the cabbage. I've never measured and I always serve it with either tongs or a slotted spoon.

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
I always serve it with either tongs or a slotted spoon.

O.K. got them both!

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Like so many other things, coleslaw is something I rarely eat when we go out. At a work pot-luck lunch, someone made a really good coleslaw. To this day I do not know why I got a spoon of it, but once the raisins were flicked out it was GOOD!

I do not like fruit in my coleslaw. When I make it, I do not put anything sweet in it...not even sugar. I'm one of those people who saves the sweet for dessert and whoever heard of having coleslaw for dessert?! Wink

I'm with Linderhof...cabbage, onion and carrots sometimes...but not all the time.

I do have a "Mexican" coleslaw recipe that I really like.

4 cups Cabbage, shredded
Carrots shredded
Red Cabbage shredded
1/8 cup Cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup Whole Kernel Corn, drained
2 tablespoons chopped Jalepenos
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Green Chiles, chopped
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Sour Cream
dash of Chili Powder

Just stir everything together.

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My coleslaw is resting in the refrig. Big mistake to use the box grater when I have a cuisinart! My mom would have used that if she had had one!

Going to try all these recipes but Kyis, gotta leave the corn out! Never like it mixed with anything else!

I bet my Texas friend would love that!

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Martha, which vinegar do you use? Distilled, cider? I, too, haven't cared for any of the slaws I've made over the years. I've tasted some good ones that had apple chunks and chopped walnuts, which I thought were excellent. I think they also used store-bought dressing, but I'm not sure which brand.

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LoS - Aren't we all odd about certain things. Not that YOU are odd about not mixing corn in anything but... Wink

I'm that way with raisins. I can eat them out of the box or in cookies. I used golden raisins in my homemade fruitcake. But I cannot stand them in anything else. I do not want them plumped...I do not like the taste or the texture. I know...I'm odd...DH reminds me of that often. Smile

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
LOS, I'm definitely not a purist and never use a recipe for coleslaw (except the refrigerator one) so have possibly never made the same one twice!

My usual non-refrig coleslaw has finely sliced cabbage, onion (white, yellow, red, or green), shredded carrots, and chopped apple. Dressing is EVOO, apple cider vinegar, Hellmans' Mayo, pepper, and stevia as sweetener. I prefer a sweet and sour dressing on coleslaw. I often add one or more of the following: celery, peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green) fresh orange segments, raisins, dried cranberries or cherries, pecans, or almost any other salad ingredient. I also occasionally put minced garlic or various herbs in the dressing. My coleslaws are never boring but then they also are often a good part of my meal as I'm *almost* a vegetarian!

I used to make that refrigerator coleslaw often when our kids lived at home. The recipe I used made a 1 gallon ice-cream bucket full and while some recipes claim it will last for weeks mine never lasted even one week as we all liked it and it was so convenient to have ready to serve in the frig. Before serving every time I tossed it as the dressing settles to the bottom of the container.

Have fun modifying coleslaw recipes to your taste and hope you find one you like.

KeepYouInStitches - you are not odd at all, you are just *you* and you actually taste things differently. I think we all do.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12594 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I've made Linderhof's German cole slaw and can attest to it's great flavor.
I'm not much on making coleslaw at home but have for occasions and events.
My favorite way to serve cole slaw is a trio salad plate (a local cafeteria offers.) Spoonful of cole slaw, with slices of hard-cooked egg and cooked & rechilled frozen green peas each served alongside the slaw. That to me is a great combo salad.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I get lots of requests for my slaw. I chop it very fine in the food processor. I like cabbage and carrots, and if I have some, a little red cabbage. It makes it pretty.

I dont have a written recipe, but the onion and sugar are a must and they are what make it good.

Cabbage
Carrots
Onion
Black pepper
Sugar
Mayo

There is a little seafood place we like that makes a very good vinegar based slaw, that is pretty much the same as mine but they use vinegar in place of mayo.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lori -- I use both -- whichever is handiest! The apple cider would have a bit more flavor but the white is fine. I wouldn't go out and buy whichever you don't have to make the coleslaw. I don't use my red wine vinegar nor a balsamic vinegar (who wants brown coleslaw!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
stevia as sweetener.

You know that is probably why my coleslaw was never that good! I did not know sweetening was an integral ingredient.

BTW I did sneak a tablespoon ea for us for dinner last night and it was yummy (linderhof's first recipe) I am going to try them all as I really love coleslaw and cabbage was the basic industry of my town back in its farming days!

Thank you all!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Thanks LOS

Martha

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
We still use our Great Grandmom's recipe.

Shredded cabbage
shredded carrot - amt as wanted
celery seed

Dressing:

Mayo thinned with evaporated milk (to a heavy cream consistency) and sugar added to taste.

Toss with above ingredients and let sit in frig till time to eat.

Posts: 257 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I went to post this recipe and it just disappeared. Here it is again. Great Grandmom's recipe.

Shredded Cabbage
Carrot shredded - amt to taste
Celery seed

Dressing"

Mayo thinned with evaporated milk to a creamy consistency add sugar to taste - stir til dissolved and toss with above ingredients. Let sit in frig until ready to use.

Posts: 257 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like my Mom's Bee. I just did not realize about the sweentening!

I really love celery seed in things!

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I've posted my pineapple cole slaw recipe before - but it's not exact. I start with a bag (or two - depending on how many servings desired) of shredded cole slaw mix - with shredded carrots, then I add several chopped green onions and sliced / chopped green pepper, as desired. Then, I mix ingredients in a bowl - and first sprinkle some olive oil and seasoned rice vinegar and S/P over and lightly toss - then I add drained pineapple tidbits - again as desired - I might use a whole small can - a large one if using two packages of mix - then I add one or two cartons of lemon yogurt, thinned with the pineapple juice and I add 2 or 3 TBs of honey - toss the whole thing - and chill in fridge.

Seaborne

Posts: 977 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Martha, I plan to make your grandma's recipe tomorrow, but thought I'd better double-check the directions for your cooked coleslaw dressing. Shouldn't the dressing be cooled before pouring it over the shredded cabbage?

Posts: 5882 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nope -- pour it over hot! And use a vegetable/canola oil -- this isn't the time for olive!

Martha

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks!

posted Hide Post
Is it me, or have others noticed an off taste in the packaged slaw? I sense an odor when I open it and then an off taste. I prefer shredding my own because of that. Btw, I prefer non mayonnaise slaw. I love the sour slaw served at the chicken restaurants in southeast Kansas!

Posts: 647 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I always rinse my packaged cole slaw before using it - if desired, some vinegar can be added to the rinse water to help "freshen" it.

Seaborne

Posts: 977 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
cole slaw

Here is a recipe. Good luck!

Ingredients:

Cabbage, either green or purple or both
Carrot
Green onion
Mayonnaise
Yellow mustard
Pepper
Rice vinegar or white vinegar
Sugar
Salt and pepper

Method:

1 Thinly slice the cabbage until you have approximately 4 cups of sliced cabbage. Julienne a half of a carrot. Thinly slice a couple green onions.

2 For the mayo dressing version, add 3 Tbsp mayo, 1/2 teaspoon of yellow mustard and mix in with the cabbage, carrot, and onions. Add pepper to taste.

3 For the non-mayo version, add a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.

Posts: 77 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
bet -- similar tomy grandmother's slaw only without the sugar I think! And it seems to have some garlic in it as well. And they pour the same dressing over their potatoes. Both are really good with fried chicken!!!

Our favorite is Gebhardt's rather than either of the chicken sisters!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Bet, I have noticed an off taste and no longer buy the bags. So it is not just you!

Posts: 6725 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I have boughten bags but usually just shred my own. Wonderful cabbage has been at our Farmer's Market!

Martha

posted Hide Post
My aunt had a good one with. cabbage, sugar, salt, vinegar, few onions. few green pepper slices and carrots. Mayo certainly. Good Luck.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post