Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Charity During Holidays?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charity During Holidays? Sign In/Join 
posted
Do you participate in charity during the holidays? Which ones?

First, I bought items for children in the hospital for a group project.

Then, I put together two shoe boxes for the Sa mari tan's purse group. I spent more on that than I realized and I said that I wasn't going to do anything else.

Today, I bought shoes for a seven year old girl in Appalachia for another group project.

I figure that shoes for a child in poverty is a significant and very needed item.

I usually always do the Sa maritan's purse but I did more than usual this year.

I heard the words in L u k e read about Lazarus today. The r I c h man wasn't named but every one else had a name. Oh Well!

Posts: 840 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Isn't that what the original intent of the celebration should be about.

At work each department collectively sponsors a needy family &/or decorates and donates a tree for the Festival which is auctioned off for charity of the winning bidder's choice. Lots of the trees don't home with the purchaser, they donate them to the hospital, group homes, youth shelters, etc. So that project gives a few times over.

We have shoe box projects at church and a mitten tree for school kids, prison ministry project that makes sure incarcerated parents' kids receive a gift at home, carol at the homes of our homebound members and church neighborhood elderly, have a big basket under the nativity set in the foyer to collect non-perishable items for the food bank.

This year I am collecting & shipping 'tweenage chapter books to my nephew in the Peace Corp so his African HS Portuguese-speaking students studying English can read in their spare time.

Through the years there's been a myriad of other great charity projects, all heartwarming.

I developed a grocery bag full of foodstuff items to accompany the frozen turkey to the needy family that would fulfill a Thanksgiving Day dinner menu.

Posts: 2844 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lurah,

Can you give your de nomination? I was curious when I read your post about the meal you were planning. Small c hurches are fun when they are active.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
There is a tidal wave of things going on in our c h urch and community, so much, that we would be wiped out financially if we worked in all of them. I am in awe when I see ladies easily drop $100 and $200 bills casually into the coffers for those charities. B l e s s Them is my thought.

I used to work at Human Services in an adjacent county. A worker there who was a former recipient of state benefits put together a Christmas charity for Recipient children. I was interested in donating until I saw the items and knew the price tags. They listed $2oo and $300 items, like computer game systems and other non essentials. Don't mention how expensive the games are that one has to buy for them after that. I can't remember exactly but I believe the organizer said that groups would get together pooling money to buy the one $3oo item.

Other workers there were wary of such choices. Is wary the word? Disappointed, disgruntled, witnessing entitlement, Oh, there was such a mix of emotions.

I found other charities to help during those years. I steered clear although I was initially interested.

I volunteer weekly at a charity that I love during the year.

posted Hide Post
We participate in a give a Christmas tree at church. It used to have items listed but recently there are lots of requests for gift cards. We don't choose those--instead I opt for listed items. My daughter belongs to a parish where they hand out gloves in the cold months at the weekly dinner for the homeless. We also donate to the annual toy drive.

In recent years we have given more to charities that help animals such as Best Friends and our local animal shelters.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16 paws,

Me thinks it helps the giver as much as the receiver.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
One thing I do is help out for a day at a local charity that brings Christmas gifts to needy families on Christmas eve. The families must apply for the service, and they can only receive it once, ever. When I go, I take about 15 teenagers who are from my church. We pitch in with others and do the wrapping and bundling of the gifts, getting them ready to be delivered by Santa. It is super fun, and something I look forward to every year.

I also always donate to the food bank in our area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have kids at home and find it hard trying to do for them at holiday times, however I like to teach my kids how to give too so we make cards and put flavored tea bags (coupons are great for these)inside for our local meals on wheels. I also do shoeboxes for OCC which again coupons work great to save money on this stuff plus I make stuff to go into the boxes so they don't cost much at all and somebody sponsors the shipping. If I watch what I'm doing I can do a box for less then 2 bucks or about that. and in the Spring I donate a few cans of food to the mailman for their drive. My motto is don't matter how much or how little you give it's the thought be hide it that counts. that's what I tell my kids.

x

Posts: 1240 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
My husband has been in the military for his entire career, so most of our charities are military related. Living and volunteering on the AFB, I know there is much need.

My first donation is to the USO for phone home cards, then Toys for Tots, various adopt a family, and deployed (parents are deployed) children's Christmas party gifts.

Then there is the Airmen's (& women's) cookie drive. We bake hundreds of dozens of cookies for the Airmen's dorms and for anyone working over the holidays.

It's nice to hear what everyone does for the holiday's. Thank you for posting this.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
Lurah,

Can you give your de nomination? I was curious when I read your post about the meal you were planning. Small c hurches are fun when they are active.

When the dept. at work sponsored families, it was through an agency that provided us the family names, info, details, clothing sizes, children's ages. The secretary at work in our dept. decided we'd deliver some things before Thanksgiving including a frozen turkey and Christmas tree with decorations for the family to use to decorate it. The gift packages and big toy items came closer to Christmas.
I made a pretty standard turkey dinner menu and then shopped for the foodstuff items to accomplish that - potatoes, gravy mix, turkey roasting bag, canned pumpkin, evap milk, frozen pie shells, dinner rolls, stuffing cubes or mix, eggs, green bean casserole items and all the associated staple items flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spices, salt, etc. Literally everything they would need to make a nice dinner simply (I looked at the recipes on the labels), sent a inexpensive turkey roaster, and so on.

Or are you referring to another church dinner from another thread?

We are members of a Protestant denomination prevalent on both coasts and upper Midwest states with the exception of Minnesota & the Dakotas.

Posts: 2844 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sierramistplz, Cocok and Annon,

Those are cool contributions. Thanks, When our kids were younger we didn't give as much. We did give money to several charities though. The paycheck covered less things back then.

Hi Lurah, I've helped box up donations for poor family's holiday meals much like you describe. Yes, I was referring to your other thread. I ate some turkey rolls which were prepared a lot like the Ham roll recipe that was given to you on that thread. It was yummy. I should have asked the man who made them for the recipe. Gouda is good with turkey.

Thanks everyone.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
DH was telling me this morning about the growing trend for ath eists to form Chu rchs. In a secular area like ours (2nd highest ath eistic city in the country) that is a good idea for the continuing enlargement of charitable giving that chur ches traditionally do.

Another idea for giving is homes for boys and girls, what we used to know as orphanages. I belonged to an on-line book club and the originator of that club had spent years in such a place. He said you would not know how much it meant for a simple gift like a puzzle or something like that for a child, who was homeless.

Posts: 13078 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lady of shallot,

Cool, there was an orphanage, two counties over from me that I haven't hear much about lately. I remember drives for donations to it in my church. It is currently run by a different de nomination if it still operates. Maybe it has closed down. Currently, I know a lot of people in my chu rch and surrounding c h u r c he s who adopt orphan's from overseas. In China, the baby girls who are unwanted are tossed on the scrap piles. It's good to see so many folks with that much dedication and call to help a child. I know one adoptive family. Their oriental child has autism. They are so dedicated to helping the child and they went through a lot to get her.

Can you tell what city you are from LOS?

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Well I live in a suburb of Portland Maine. It is Maine's largest city, but still quite small (only about 64,000 but sometimes they include all the surrounding towns and cities)

I know of people here who have adopted Chinese girls. And on the TLC channel there is the couple who are dwarfs (can't think of the exact nature of their conditions) who adopted such a boy from China. He has to be one of the cutest and smartest kids I have ever seen!

Posts: 13078 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I give and volunteer all year, because the need is there 12 months a year.

My service club works with the local r-ape crisis center, battered women's shelter, local soup kitchen, and pregnant teen organization. We live in a poor area with some very rich people who are blind to the needs in our county. So there are few services that are not attached to churches and proselytizing. They have now come up with the worst - if an organization wants to receive grant money from the city they must track their clients and show they are asking compensation from the poor, working poor and homeless.

16 Paws - as for asking for gift cards, over the years I've seen what some people buy for their families and all too often, I can understand why they would prefer a gift card. I recall one year when our office adopted a family and the list was not extensive but one little boy wanted a remote controlled car. The person responsible for the car bought some little cheap thing that maybe cost $5.

Plus younger and younger kids are more interested in gaming and music.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charming: We live in a poor area with some very rich people who are blind to the needs in our county. So there are few services that are not attached to churches [QOUTE]

I live in an affluent area. There are tons of well off people here involved in charity. Above the affluent level there are some gad zil millionaires who give a tremendous amount of dollars ,even millions to community charity and well being. Of course there are well off and average income people who volunteer in their kids activities. They usually have a self motivated agenda but one can see it when looking into their smug and self centered eyes. Still there are many many good affluent people who use their resources for others. Sounds like you need a new rich resident to change the routine or social more.
Free will is a good thing. We all need free will for charity.

posted Hide Post
I don't mind people asking for gift cards since many of them just need basics that they would prefer to get with a gift card. What I meant was I like to actually go out and find the toy a child has requested and wrap it for the Christmas drive. I know that many members of the congregation cannot go out and do a lot so they prefer to give money for the gift cards.

With the recent cuts in the food stamp program, my local shelters have been overwhelmed with requests for food, etc. This year so many need so much. I really am sick of hearing about the need to shop on Thanksgiving since many retailers are opening then. In my opinion, we need to really think about what is happening to our economy and our citizens. The number of people who need help has grown and we need to do more to help. I am just fed up with hearing about extravagant gifts, vacations, homes, etc.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel so sorry for the employees of those stores who have to work in the wee hours of black Friday morning. If people wouldn't shop the retailers wouldn't open.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I make care packages for friends of Dson and Ddaughter that are stationed overseas in the mil*itary.

One young man wanted pudding cups so 48 were packed and shipped to him to share. Another wanted Doritos so he received those in his packs.

Here are the ones I did one year for the holidays for DD's friend. We sent 50 goodie bags so he could give out one to each member. They also get special personal care items to make their days just a little better.

pic

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
I make care packages for friends of Dson and Ddaughter that are stationed overseas in the mil*itary.

One young man wanted pudding cups so 48 were packed and shipped to him to share. Another wanted Doritos so he received those in his packs.

Here are the ones I did one year for the holidays for DD's friend. We sent 50 goodie bags so he could give out one to each member. They also get special personal care items to make their days just a little better.

I think that's awesome. Those are so pretty and festive! I sent a letter of encouragement once as part of a group project but that's all. It would be fun to send a little something more next time. Years and years ago when I was a little brownie scout our troop sent the military copies of the colored funny papers put together with something else that I don't remember now.

posted Hide Post
I always drop a few toys in the Toys for Tots boxes, keep a wad of $1.00 bills in purse to drop one in every time I pass a Red Kettle. Myself and 10 of my friends back home all thru the year buy sample sized toiletries, combs, brushes,etc, the sealed hotel samples from our travels, and quarterly donate them to a woman's shelter where the women come in with nothing but what they're wearing. When working, we always adopted a family to sponsor for Christmas. My big concern these days is that the big push of charity is during the holidays when the need is really year around for so many.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to share the idea for the abused women's shelter if you don't mind. I know what I'm going to do with the hotel soaps that we have on hand now. Thanks for the post and the ideas Mama's spoon.