Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Best use of Lazy Susan space -UPDATED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best use of Lazy Susan space -UPDATED Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Hemmed and Hawed but decided it was more "cooking" than "organizing" so...

What's the best use of the lazy susan space? Small appliances or baking goods? My kitchen is not as organized as I need it to be, both the LS and the pantry space (where small appliances are now) are equal in distance from cooking area. Baking goods are currently in under counter cupboard and plastic ware and mixing bowls are in the LS (chaos!). Under counter cupboards all have pull outs FWIW.

Any thoughts? Pictures attached - below is the pantry space. Pull out on left of fridge is all food storage. Regular cabinet to the right is deep storage on shelves.

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the LS corner. Also deep storage - two tier "Super Susan" under the counter. Corner cupboard above is deep and is used for liquor cabinet.

posted Hide Post
Since I have a large pantry, I elected to use our lazy susan (how did Susan get stuck by being called lazy?) as a storage for our small appliances on its revolving shelves. Mine has piano hinge doors so its very accessible.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, but you lost me with LS . . . left side, lower shelf? (It took me a while to figure out that LOL didn't stand for Little Old Lady!) Smile

I have a pantry alongside of my refrigerator and I hate it. Outside dimensions are 29"w x 84"H x 24"D, with a 2-inch wood strip running vertically down the center of the entire pantry and a 2-inch wood strip splitting the top half of the cabinet from the bottom half. I believe the purpose of these strips is to keep the dust out but would hate to remove them and have whole the pantry collapse. (I don't mind the horizontal strip but the vertical strip limits my storing capabilities.) There are 2 doors on the top section of the pantry and 2 doors on the lower half (most tract homes have this type of pantry).

I use several Rubbermaid lazy susans and storage bins and one 3-step can arranger. I keep a small flashlight on the shelf to help light up the rear of the shelves so I can identify their contents. Frown

DH is pretty handy and has built me pull-out drawers for the cabinets beneath my kitchen counter. What a back-saver! However, neither one of us is clever enough to figure out how to improve on the 6-shelf pantry. I envy my friends and relatives who have walk-in pantries!

I really think we could remove the vertical wood strip from each half of the cabinet. He could make me new matching doors that have the extended piece of wood on one door so that there is no gap in the middle. Hmmmmm, I'm going to have to mention this to him when he gets home. He's always looking for a new woodworking project. Smile

And what's FWIW??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I still don't know what LS is.
I have a walk-in pantry! Shelves on 3 sides & is 6' deep by 4' wide. The back shelves are deep & that is where most of my small appliances go. The other shelves on both sides have canned/packaged goods....meal prep on one side, baking on the other side.

DUH! It finally dawned on me! Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry! I got tired of typing out Lazy Susan and went with "LS". Sorry! Wink

For what it's worth = FWIW

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Decide how hard it is to access vs. other cabinets. I use the most difficult spaces to access for the least used items in the kitchen. The easiest to access for the most frequently used items.

My kitchen is small, so putting spices by stove or whatever is moot.

It's all about accessibility for me.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
oic! Smile tu

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I use my similar LS cabinet for bowls, casseroles, Pyrex loaf pans. Many are heavy so this makes sense to me tho I have to remember to close the door lest ingredients fall into the bowls, etc. Prior to the bowls, etc. I used it as a spice cabinet, but is was difficult to view or access the spice bottles and challenging to clean. I find larger items suit this awkward space best.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
If your super Susan can hold the weight of heavier items like appliances, then it might be best used for that.
I've noted in others' kitchens that sometimes the LS was a pretty lightweight version, and many times broken because of it.

My kitchen is organized by sections: cleaning area between the refrig & sink with all things stored there I might use - towels, paring knives, strainers, greens spinner and so on; a mixing section with my Kitchenaid mixer pop-up shelf, mixing bowls and measuring utensils, staple ingredients, spices, sifter, bakeware, etc.; cooking area around the stove with seasonings, oils, pans, utensils; and the tableware area where I store all tabletop items such as dishes, flatware, serving bowls, etc.

I seldom use canned or boxed mixes so I don't have a true "pantry."

Small frequently used appliances in appliance garage, others in the kitchen library.

My lazy susan is home to all my pots and pans.

Had the hassle of working for several weeks in a friend's kitchen. The cabinets were built in on-site (before it was her house) and horridly placed. It sure made me appreciate my own kitchen organization once I returned home.

Posts: 2815 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Miss Lazy Susan called me up one day and asked me very nicely to please use the words "turntable" or "carousel" for those revolving two-tiered corner cabinets. Smile

I have one and it is very practical for my pots and pans (most of them, anyway) as well as mixing bowls and colanders. In fact, they can be used for just about anything, because they hold a lot. Canned goods, small appliances, etc. They are great if you are short on pantry space.

What I REALLY need in my small kitchen are those heavy-duty pull-out drawers inside my base cabinets for more pots, pans, baking sheets, etc.

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm midway with moving pots, pans, and small appliances into the LS. There's just too much "mixed use" in the large side cabinet and I'm tired of moving sodas to get the crock pot or electric fry pan, this really does affect cooking routines as it's exhausting to dig out a tool or appliance when needed. We really put a lot of thought into the layout of the kitchen when we ripped out the old, so I really want order in there.

Lousy with the start of a cold today, so sitting on the little stool and sorting is a good use of my time!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I don't have a carousel in my kitchen, but DD here has one. She has larger items on it that aren't used frequently. However, they are quickly available if needed.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6739 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to move the liquor cabinet. That is in a very large corner cupboard and I could better utilize the space for baking goods. DH will need to help with that as it is all up high.

I'll share pics when done, but for now at least I can find pots and pans.

posted Hide Post
Coming back to say I'm done! What started out as "Oh, I'll just move or tweak a few things" turned into a major rearrangement. DH moved the liquor to an underused cabinet, so all baking goods moved to the former liquor cabinet. That freed up the pull outs under the counter for all Tupperware items. Pots and pans went to the Lazy Susan with small (frequently used) appliances. All baking dishes were moved, fridge built ins were rearranged, and the utensils were spread out into two drawers.

I did 90% of this work today. WHEW! And even had room for my favorite cookbooks, which I am now going to be able to find and use. NO MORE DIGGING Smile

Off to a good start kitchen-wise for the new year!