Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  home from road trip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

home from road trip Sign In/Join 
posted
We was gone 8 days, went 1385 miles and spent 900 dollars. and that was for food,1 motel, campsites, gas for a truck pulling a pop up camper, extra food on the way, sightseeing, wood for fires, park fees, washer/dryer fees which had to do about 4 xtra lg loads and tolls. We went from NY (by Buffalo)to MD and back. We went to a zoo, swam in the ocean, went another part of ocean to see boats, went to my cuz house, went to Amish county, drove around to look at covered bridges, went to look for elk in elk country then on the was home stopped for dinner. We drove thur a lot of little towns and saw some neat decors. With 2 teens and 2 adults we had a good time. We stayed in PA, DE,and MD.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! What did you decide for foods while camping?

Posts: 4466 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
food was
hobo pies
soups
tin foil dinners(sausage/veggies)
hot dogs
egg muffins (Thank you for the recipe)
sandwiches
trash (pot,spam,corn mix
fruits
puddings
stopped for fresh fruits and veggies

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Y'all did good money-wise!

Best was having a good time!!!!

Posts: 17033 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you travelled through some beautiful country, especially Amish territory and all the covered bridges, etc. Although the countryside is gorgeous in the areas you visited, getting off the interstates some of the time is so scenic and relaxing.
I'd say you did very will with keeping your budget under wraps for basically 4 adults - that averages out to about $25. a day per person! If your teens are boys, they eat pretty hearty, don't they?
The road trips and beach & ski camping vacations we took as a family and with relatives are fond memories for our kids and yours will be talking about it for the rest of their lives, too.

Posts: 2743 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Smile Sounds like a great trip, I love Amish country!

Posts: 3605 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I too love Amish country! I can't comment on the money because we have not done such a trip.

I hope you had a wonderful, memorable time and took lots of pictures!

One of our best times though was once in coming back from Syracuse we took a secondary road. It was very interesting and gave a much different idea than zooming by on the throughway!

We saw small museums, non-chain restaurants etc.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
So good to hear you had a great trip! You did very well with your budget too!

Glad you tried the egg muffins!

I had never heard of hobo pies so had to google. Looks kinda like a toasted cheese sandwich but much better. I had no idea there was such a thing as a hobo pie maker. Always something new to learn.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post