Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  It's National PI Day -- What Kind Are You Having?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's National PI Day -- What Kind Are You Having? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I realize that it isn't THAT kind of pie! But to me pie is pi and a good reason to have a piece! So are you making a pie today and what kind?

We're having German Cherry Pie -- and it's good!

Martha

GERMAN CHERRY PIE

Drain and keep the juice from:

2 1/2 cups solid pitted cherries, fresh or frozen

Pour over the cherries:

6 T. sugar

Very acid cherries may require more sugar. Permit to stand for about 1/2 hour, until the sugar is dissolved. Stir gently several times. Drain and reserve juice.

Prepare:

1 1/2 cups flour
resift it with:
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
6 T. sugar
1/8 t. salt

Cut into these ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives (or the more modern food processor) until blended

1/2 c. butter

Add to the above:

1 beaten egg

Now, wade in with your hands and work the dough until it holds together but no longer (or you can use the food processor as I did!). Chill it. Pat it into a 9 inch ovenproof glass pie pan. Let it come to the upper edge of the pan. See that it is spread evenly. Crimp the dough around the edge with the tines of a fork.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Measure the sirup drained from the cherries. There should be 3/4 cup. Taste it. Add sugar if it seems to be too sour. Reserve 1/4 cup. Place the rest over low heat. Stir into the 1/4 cup until smooth:

4 t. cornstarch

When the rest of the juice is boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Stir and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is no longer cloudy. Add

1/4 t. almond extract

Place the cherries in the pie shell, pour the hot juice over them and bake from 50 to 60 minutes.

Posts: 6256 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
No pie at all for me today, but I'd sure like to have a piece of Linderhof's!!!

I've got pound cake left from snacks at guild yesterday.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6760 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Today is DH's birthday so we are having red velvet cake instead of pie!

But I do have the makings for a chocolate cream pie...been wanting one of those for awhile! With LOTS of Xcreamy cool whip! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5024 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post