Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Fresh Apricot Season
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh Apricot Season Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
Fresh apricots seem to be the forgotten fruit. Don't see many recipes calling for them. Could it be a matter of availability? Maybe that they're more complicated to stash in the freezer? The ones in my local grocery stores are pricey... $3 a pound, usually. But I found baskets of them at the farmer's market containing 3+ pounds for only $3 a basket. Bought two to make two batches of jam and had some left over. Searching around the net, I couldn't find anything interesting, so I got inventive.

I chopped some up and simmered them in simple syrup for about a half hour. Strained, it makes a fantastic flavored syrup for iced tea. Would be good on pancakes and waffles, too, if I'd made enough of it.

Still had a few left, so I decided to make my favorite peach cobbler using the apricots instead. OMGosh... It's better than the peach version! This is an old-timey recipe that you might already have in your arsenal. If not and you're interested, here it is:

Peach Treat

2 c. sliced peaches
1 c. sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°. Put butter in a deep casserole dish and set it in the preheating oven to melt.

Meanwhile, whisk the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and extracts into a batter. Pour batter into the melted butter; do not stir. Place the peaches into the center of the dish, avoiding placing any too close to the edge. Batter will rise around the fruit and to the top during baking, surrounding the peaches with crust.

Bake for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.

Apricot Treat

Substitute peaches with 2 cups of sliced ripe fresh apricots that have been tossed with about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of sugar (or sugar to taste); let sit for about 15 minutes, until the sugar melts and the apricots release some juice. Proceed as above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4541 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I have never made a cobbler before because I prefer pies. I love the ease of not having to peel apricots. Peach pies are our favorite but it's a lot more work because you have to remove the skin.

Is it about 20 cots to get 2 cups?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6002 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I bought THREE fresh apricots for DH. I have to slap my hands every time I walk by them. If he lets them ruin.........

Posts: 17124 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I adore apricots but they don't grow here -- I do buy them in the store and they are pricey -- but there is nothing like a really ripe apricot (sigh)! I envy you who can get them at Farmer's markets!

BTW, I do make an apricot liqueur every year -- but I use the dried ones (and the bonus is that dried -- you can dip in chocolate and give as Christmas gifts -- little boozy chocolate apricots!)

Martha

Posts: 5985 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
Is it about 20 cots to get 2 cups?

I didn't count, but it would depend on their size. I think I used perhaps 12, maybe 14. It doesn't have to be precise.

Posts: 4541 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I adore apricots--you are very lucky to have them at the farmer's market, they are quite expensive here at the grocery store.

Posts: 3203 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Apricots are one of my favorite fruits. I like them in any kind of pie, crisp, or cobbler. I also like then grilled, or just cooked a bit in a pan with a little sugar and then eaten with vanilla ice cream. In my opinion they are much better cooked than raw.

Posts: 7195 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
nettiejay, I'm making your Peach Treat cobbler (it's in the oven right now).

I have a question about your apricot comment:
quote:
Substitute peaches with 2 cups of sliced ripe fresh apricots that have been tossed with about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of sugar (or sugar to taste); let sit for about 15 minutes, until the sugar melts and the apricots release some juice. Proceed as above.

Just wanted clarification about the cup of sugar called for in the original Peach Treat recipe. I'm assuming that you still add that 1 cup in addition to the 1/4 c that gets mixed in with the 'cots, right?

Posts: 6002 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion.

The 1 cup of sugar listed in the ingredients for the peach variation goes into the batter. When I'm using peaches, my preference is not to add additional sugar to the fruit. Peaches are almost always sweet enough, and adding more sugar to them makes the cobbler too sweet for my family's taste.

But apricots are generally more tart than peaches, and it's my preference to lightly sweeten them before adding them to the baking dish.

Now, if your peaches are not as sweet as you'd like, or if you like sweeter baked goods in general, by all means coat them with some sugar to taste before adding them to the baking dish.

How'd it turn out? Hope you liked it as much as we do.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
OMG, nettiejay. It's simply delicious!!!!!!!! I will definitely make it again. I love the way the crust crisped up around the outer edges of the topping.

I used my 3-qt. Corning dutch oven, which measures about 7 inches square and 4 inches high (way higher than was needed). I had a lot of home grown peaches from my friend's tree, so I filled the 2-cup Pyrex measurer completely to the top of the cup. So I maybe had about 2 1/4 c peaches.

I could probably get 9 good-sized square servings or 12 small squares. If I were to make it for company, I think I'd whip up some whipping cream and top each slice with a dollop.

BTW, I did include the 1/2 ts. almond extract. Thanks again for sharing! Smile

Do you refrigerate this cobbler? I'm leaving it on my counter tonight, like I always do with a Peach Pie (something happens to the pie crust after it's been in the fridge). If there's any left after the second day, then I refrigerate it.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I do the same as you... Refrigerate if there's any left on the third day. But around here, there never is. Wink

That caramel-ly crust near the edges... I KNOW... right?!?

I like it with good vanilla ice cream. If it has cooled off before I want to serve it, I warm it slightly in the microwave before scooping the ice cream alongside. Oh my.
I also sometimes just pour a little unwhipped heavy cream on top.

I've seen this recipe all over the net, but in fact it predates the internet by decades. I found it in a cookbook copyrighted in 1968, and I think it's probably much older than that. In my recipe, it's called "treat", not "cobbler" like many others. IMO, it really isn't like cobbler, which I consider more biscuit-like than this.

The main thing I like about this recipe is that, since I freeze local peaches for use all year, I have the ingredients in the house at all times. I love "pantry" recipes like that.

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
It is well named, Treat rather than Cobbler! Yum.

nettiejay, how do you process your peaches for freezing? I have too many left so I should do that, but do I need to go shopping for pectin or something? I froze a batch of apricots two years ago and they turned dark. Had to throw them out.

I guess I should peel and slice the peaches before freezing. Hmmm, I'd better go do a google search. I love it when I come across how-to videos!

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I peel the peaches by dipping them into boiling water for 1 minute, removing them and plunging them into a bowl of ice and water. (I read somewhere that it works as well to just put the whole peaches into the freezer for about an hour to loosen the skins, but I never tried that.) Once peeled, I remove the pit and slice them. To keep them from browning, I have good luck using a mixture of Fruit Fresh (or other brand of) ascorbic acid and sugar. Check the label directions for mixing the sugar and fruit preserver. I can't remember the ratio off the top of my head right now.

I measure 4 cups of peach slices, adding about half of them to a 1-quart zippered freezer bag, then sprinkling with 2 tbs. of the sugar/preserver mix; repeat with another 2 cups of fruit and 2 tbs. of sugar mixture. I think it helps distribute the preserver better by filling the bag in two stages this way. Zip them shut, excluding as much air as possible. Lay them on a cookie sheet to keep the bags flatter as they freeze; once frozen, stack them how they'll fit best in the freezer.

Fruit Fresh would have helped your apricots keep their color during freezing, too... Although, I think I would make a Fruit Fresh and sugar syrup - instead of dry sugar - for those.