Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Please share favorite breakfast recipes---
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please share favorite breakfast recipes--- Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Hi fellow foodies. I could use some tasty breakfast recipes for my files. Care to share some tried and trues, especially anything that can be prepped for guests the night before? TIA

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo --

There are the breakfast casseroles and there are hundreds out there -- with any combination you want. I often do one with just vegetables (squash, onions, peppers, asparagus) and then cook bacon or a really nice chicken sausage (from Costco) on the side.

But what I like most are frittatas. They're easy to do, feed the multitudes (depending on skillet and number of eggs) and can be adjusted to whatever you have in your fridge and pantry.

I probably like the frittatas better because I feel you can serve bread with them (since bread is not an ingredient) and usually they do not have meat in them but they could so it could be a one dish (and a pan of muffins) breakfast along with some fruit.

I just sort of "wing it" when I do a frittata --
but here is a good one from my favorite -- The Barefoot Contessa and it gives you a good idea of portions of eggs, etc.

POTATO BASIL FRITTATA

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
2 cups peeled and 1/2-inch diced boiling potatoes (4 potatoes)
8 extra-large eggs
15 ounces ricotta cheese
3/4 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Directions
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and fry them until cooked through, turning often, about 10 to 15 minutes. Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, then stir in the ricotta, Gruyere, melted butter, salt, pepper, and basil. Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and stir into the egg mixture.

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and place the pan in the center of the oven. Bake the frittata until it is browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour. It will be rounded and firm in the middle and a knife inserted in the frittata should come out clean.

Posts: 5453 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
We always have Paula Dean's French toast caserole Xmas morning and I prepare it the night before. I've done it with Challah bread and it's light and fluffy.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my favorite

Text FileBaked_Mexican_Eggs.txt (957 Bytes, 11 downloads)

Posts: 3252 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have 2 tried and true.

I can't find my grits and sausage recipe. When I get my hands on it (one of those elusive recipes I can never find when I want it) I will post it here for posterity and add it to my on line file.

This egg casserole is very versatile - change it up, just keep the egg base about the same. The original recipe called for it to bake up more firm - I usually put in more eggs than called for and keep it a softer texture. (You cshould be able to mix it up the night before or just prep everything and let everyone add their own toppings the morning of.)

Egg Casserole Your Way

Base:
12 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Black Pepper to taste
2 cups (1 pint) small curd cottage cheese

Personality:
½ cup cooked crumbled bacon
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
3 green onions, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 325º
Serves 6 - 8

Grease or spray 9X13 casserole.

In a large bowl combine the eggs, butter, flour, salt, and pepper until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until cooked through, serve immediately.

Make it yours by replacing the personality ingredients with any of the following, or create your own favorite:

A
1 cup chopped fresh spinach or frozen and thawed
¾ cup shredded Swiss Cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesean

B
2 – 3 chopped green Chilies
1 cup cooked and crumbled hot Italian sausage
1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese

C
1 sliced or chopped tomato
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

D
1 cup cooked and crumbled pork sausage
1 cup grated Fontina cheese
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Variation:
After creating the base, pour into ramekins and make individual casseroles using a combination of personality ingredients. Reduce baking time to about 20 minutes.

Posts: 3410 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Frittata
Quiche

I do a waffle breakfast casserole. You can probably substitute the waffles for any of the other recipes that call for bread. The rest of the stuff, eggs, milk, meat, cheese, seasonings, etc. would be about the same and however else you want to tweak the recipe. I generally get 6 or 8 waffles in the bottom layer...and another 6-8 for the top layer.

In the bottom of an oiled baking dish layer buttered waffles. If they don't "fit" one way, rotate the waffle a quarter turn. You might not have to cut any waffles to fit. But if you do, no biggie.

You can use your breakfast meat of choice. I prefer sausage, because the flavor doesn't wash out. Ham, bacon, sausage, etc. Just chop the ham or cook and crumble the bacon or sausage...one pound.

Layer that on top of the waffles.
Top with 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Butter the rest of your waffles and place on top of everything else.

Mix together
6 eggs
4 cups milk
salt
pepper
Whatever else you want - like Charmings suggestions above. Vary your seasonings too...add chopped onions. Your imagination is your only barrier. Wink

Pour this mixture over everything. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Next morning - bake at 425 for 30 minutes with the foil on. Then remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes to lightly brown the top waffles.

Serve with maple syrup.

(I take this along with the syrup to homes for funerals. Having experienced the funeral process several times myself, there's only so many doughnuts you can eat.)

Posts: 16578 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
For at home, by far my favorite is a strata of some kind. . . so yummy!

When eating out I like eggs benedict.

Also a great favorite with my grandkids was this Sandra Lee breakfast pizza.

Ingredients
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
2 (8-inch) pizza crusts (recommended: Boboli)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded jack cheese blend (recommended: Colby)
4 fully cooked sausage patties, crumbled (recommended: Jimmy Dean)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1 medium tomato, diced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Directions
Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking.

In a medium pan over medium heat, scramble eggs in butter; set aside.

Lay out pizza crusts and brush each with oil. Top with eggs, cheese, crumbled sausage, Parmesan, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.

Slide onto hot oiled grill and cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and begins to bubble.

Serve hot, cut into wedges.

INDOOR: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pizza as directed. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to bubble.

Actually though we often had this for supper.

Posts: 12227 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Wow! These sound yummy. Thank you! I am open to more recipes if anyone else cares to contribute.

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Breakfast Casserole

1 package (1lb. 4 oz) Simply Potatoes Shredded
Hash Browns (in refrigerator case at store)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with
jalapeno pepper (pepperjack cheese)
1 1/2 cups cubed ham, canadian bacon, or bacon
or mix
2 cups shredded Swiss Cheese
6 eggs
1 cup milk, 1/2 & 1/2, or cream
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x9
casserole dish with Pam cooking spray. Put
potatoes on bottom. Pack slightly, but not
toooo much. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.

Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.

Top semi-cooked potatoes with pepperjack
cheese, ham, and swiss cheese.

Beat eggs and milk together, then pour over the
whole thing.

Put back in oven for an additional 25 minutes,
or until done.

If you use a deep souffle type baking dish, it will take much longer.

Serves roughly 6.

Posts: 4410 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Migas (a Mex. egg concoction) I make this when I get corn tacos with my meal at a Mex. restaurant.
2 corn tortillas (cut into pcs. like triangle chips that come in a bag)
1 beaten egg
1 small tomato, chunked
some chopped red onion
1 jalapeno if you have it, chopped
Or some canned Oretega chopped chiles if available
Some grated cheddar cheese
A couple of spoonsful of salsa (homemade is best)

Saute the chips in some oil in a nonstick pan. Add the chopped onion (and jalapeno if you are using it). Add the egg, stirring til almost cooked, then add your tomatoes and stir a minute or so; lastly, add in the cheese and stir til melted. At this point, you can stir in some salt and pepper if you'd like, and mix that in before you plate.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it's really easy and oh so tasty. I love it when I have leftover corn tortillas. DH doesn't like this dish at all. He's very picky!

My absolute favorite breakfast is the German Pancake aka Davidayre Pancake. I used to request this every Mother's Day. The kids used to hate all the work involved. I'm sure you can find it online. If not, I can type it for you. The pancake puffs up in an iron skillet in the oven and then you fill it with the apples that you have just cooked on the stovetop. Don't know the calorie count but it's got quite a bit of sugar and butter.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I've been served this in two different versions and also prepared it for Easter breakfast at church for 128 guests.
Please note the recipe similarity except for the veggies and meat, otherwise it is a variation of Nick Jonas's recipe from a Parade magazine a couple of years ago.

Chiles-Cheese Egg Casserole
1 Tablespoon butter
12 eggs
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 – 4 ounce cans diced green chiles, drained
1 quart (4 cups) cottage cheese
1 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 ½ ounces fresh spinach, cut in chiffonnade
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
Place pan in oven until butter is melted. Remove pan and set aside.
Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl. Beat in flour & baking powder.
Add cream cheese & beat until smooth.
Stir in chiles, cottage cheese & shredded cheese. Mix well.
Fold in spinach chiffonnade.
Pour egg mixture into prepared baking pan. Drizzle 2 T. butter over top.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until casserole is set. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving squares.

Cook’s Tips:
Assemble this dish in advance and refrigerate it overnight before baking, if desired..
You may also reheat it, covered, in a 325°F oven until hot.
Spice things up with a dab of green chile enchilada sauce or your favorite salsa.
A tossed green salad is a great accompaniment for this casserole at lunch.

Broccoli-Ham-Cheese Egg Casserole

1 Tablespoon butter
12 eggs
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces cream cheese, softened

8 ounces chopped broccoli florets, steamed
1 quart (4 cups) cottage cheese
1 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 ounces shaved honey ham, finely diced
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
Place pan in oven until butter is melted. Remove pan and set aside.
Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl. Beat in flour & baking powder.
Add cream cheese & beat until smooth.
Stir in broccoli, cottage cheese, shredded cheese and ham.
Mix well.
Pour egg mixture into prepared baking pan. Drizzle 2 T. butter over top.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until casserole is set. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving squares.

Cook’s Tips:
Assemble this dish in advance and refrigerate it overnight before baking, if desired..
You may also reheat it, covered, in a 325°F oven until hot.
Spice things up with a dab of green chile enchilada sauce or your favorite salsa.
A tossed green salad is a great accompaniment for this casserole at lunch.

Posts: 2649 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Here's our fav:
1# bulk sausage, browned
grated cheddar
8 eggs, beaten
1 package Tater Tots

Cover the bottom of 2 glass pie pans with the cooked crumbled sausage. Sprinkle cheese over the top, pour the eggs over the cheese. Gently place the Tater Tots over the top. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes or until set.
You can also add canned green chilies, black olives, chopped tomatoes, or salsa.

Posts: 6630 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
My new favorite is French toast made with croissants. The only problem is you have to skim the croissant over the egg mixture rather than dipping it. If you dip it, it gets soggy and not appetizing.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the topic. It made me find my Grits recipe and type it into my recipe file. Since I can no longer locate the booklet it was in, I have had to rely on a dog eared sheet from a note pad where I wrote it while on the phone with my sister. Big Grin

Grits and Sausage Casserole (Southern Living Cooking School)
1 LB Pork Sausage
4 Cups Milk
4 Cups Water
½ Cup Butter
½ tsp Salt
1 ½ Cups Uncooked Quick Grits
2.64 oz Package Gravy Mix (I use Pioneer Peppered Gravy Mix)
8 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 Eggs, Beaten

Directions:
Cook and drain Sausage.

Combine milk, water, butter, salt and bring to a boil. Whisk in grits. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly 5-6 minutes or until thickened. (I cook longer adding liquid as needed until grits are very tender.)

Add gravy mix, remove from heat add sausage and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.

Let mixture stand for 10 minutes to cool, then stir in eggs.

Pour into a 13 X 9 baking dish.

Bake at 400° 30 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Make this the night before and add a few minutes to the baking time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3410 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Charming, is the sausage cooked or raw when you put it in? I'd think cooked, but......

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6235 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
That was step 1 - cook and drain sausage. I probably needed and extra line or something between the ingredients and the directions.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had the potato basil frittata for Sunday brunch today. It's the recipe I posted when Froo asked for suggestions.

Martha

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linderhof,

Posts: 5453 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The rest of brunch --

little sausages, sweet cherry muffins and coffee.

And more sweet cherries to nibble on as a centerpiece!

Martha

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, no fair posting those mouth watering pics with no recipes. Wink Please share.

Thanks everyone for your recipes. They sound relish.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I agree froo. Those lil muffins look so yummy.

I'll save Martha the time and post the frittata that I saved from a while back.
All you have to do is the muffins, Martha. Smile

POTATO BASIL FRITTATA - linderhof

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
2 cups peeled and 1/2-inch diced boiling potatoes (4 potatoes)
8 extra-large eggs
15 ounces ricotta cheese
3/4 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium-low heat.
Add the potatoes and fry them until cooked through, turning often, about 10 to 15 minutes. Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, then stir in the ricotta, Gruyere, melted butter, salt, pepper, and basil.
Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and stir into the egg mixture.

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and place the pan in the center of the oven.
Bake the frittata until it is browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
It will be rounded and firm in the middle and a knife inserted in the frittata should come out clean.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Here is the muffin recipe. Those big sweet cherries were on sale so I got two pounds. I've never baked with them until last year and they go so well in baked goods I found. Loved the ricotta in this recipe!

Thanks Nance for posting --

CHERRY RICOTTA MUFFINS

Cherry Ricotta Muffins:
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cup cherries (fresh or frozen), pitted and sliced (If you use frozen cherries do not defrost before using). When fresh cherries are out of season use dried cherries.

Cherry Ricotta Muffins: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin pans with paper liners or spray with a non stick vegetable spray.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cooled melted butter, mixing well. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined and then fold in the chopped cherries. Do not over mix this mixture or the muffins will be tough when baked.  
Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups using two spoons or an ice cream scoop.
Place in the oven and bake about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (The baking time will be a little longer is using frozen cherries.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 regular-sized muffins.

NOTE: I cut back on the vanilla and used almond extract as well (almonds and cherries) and I also sprinkled sugar on the muffins and sprinkled sliced almond on top of each muffin before baking.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for taking the time topmost those amazing recipes. They are definite keepers.

Again, thanks to ALL for the additional recipes.