Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pioneer Woman Sign In/Join 
Picture of joyluck
posted
Just noticed she has a show on the Food Network. I don't watch a lot of TV so this show could have been on for years.

I'm still watching so haven't formed much of an opinion yet but wonder how long this show has been on and what you think of it?

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the show. She lives a life very different from mine, which is part of the appeal. I think the show has been on two or three seasons. She has two cookbooks which are much like the show. Her food isn't diet food, but everything I've made has been well received. She's sort of famous for her make-ahead mashed potatoes that are chock full of calories and fat. I don't like mashed potatoes, but I've made her recipe the last two Christmases and people scrape the bowl to get the last of them.

She also has a blog. It has been reported that she made a million dollars from her blog alone in 2011. I say, "Go, Ree!"

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for nutrition or originality, this isn't your kind of show.
She's the new Paula Deen, the Butter Queen.

That make-ahead mashed potatoes recipe has been around for at least 30 years, and she makes a chocolate sheet cake that's the same as the classic Texas Sheet Cake, ingredient for ingredient. Yet she raves on trying to make it seem as if she invented it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I've never seen her show (although I've been aware of it), and I don't have any of her cookbooks.

I HAVE read her blog for years and thoroughly enjoy it. I also love her humor.

Her cooking style is closer to mine than other blogs I see on the Internet. Nettiejay might be right, in that I find Ree's recipes mirror more of the foods I grew up with and enjoy--not newfangled stuff.

And, I love reading the ranch stuff. Particulary about Abigail.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like her how. One of few "cooking" shows that actually tells you how to COOK something. Here recipes might not be considered super healthy... but we're talking about people who work on a ranch!?!

Posts: 5575 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I think this show is new to Food Network Canada. I did follow her blog years ago when she was writing her story chapter by chapter of when she and Marlboro Man first met.

Doesn't really bother me that her recipes are not overly healthy. Neither are most on Food Network but they are interesting to watch and I often get ideas of things to cook. I often change recipes to make them healthier.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Don't care for PW's "little rancher lady" shtick. Watched her show once and was underwhelmed.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
Shtick or not, I like her down to earth recipies. BTW don;t they all have some shtick going?

Posts: 5418 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maryim:
Shtick or not, I like her down to earth recipies. BTW don;t they all have some shtick going?

I put PW in the same league as Sandra Lee.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I have made a lot of her recipes. We really like them....Yum

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen her show, but I love her blog & have used her recipes in the past.

Posts: 6621 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post