Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Do you have a favorite cooking show?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a favorite cooking show? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Although I often watch, Giada, or Ina or Paula and sometimes Alton Brown, and in the olden days, Julia Child and Martha Stewart and some man (this before cable on PBS) Lately though my very favorite is Diners, drive ins (forget the rest of it)

Anyway the obvious love of their work shown by these cooks, the speed and the sureness of their movements, the amplitude of the ingredients and the obvious enjoyment of the food, make this my current favorite. Plus I am always surprised at the number of ingredients in the dishes and the low prices they often charge.

Posts: 12946 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ina and Martha are my favorites. Favorite pastry chef that doesn't have his own show, but has appeared on others is Nick Malgieri

Posts: 3230 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching Julia reruns...Julia's Kitchen and Julia with Jacque Pepin. I also enjoy America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. That's about all I have time to watch.

We are not on cable or satellite - just an antennae. I refuse to pay for programming we don't watch. It's not just ABC, NBC, and CBS any more. We get a total of 17 or so channels.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
When I remember, I watch Ina Garten, Ann Burrell and Giada DiLaurentis on Food Network. I am not a fan of The Iron Chef or the other food competition shows.

Overall, I prefer the shows on PBS: Michael Chiarello, Joanie Weir, Lidia Bastianich and Rick Bayless.

My classic faves were Julia Child and Julia with Jacques Pepin.

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
For years, I watched HGTV cooking shows--I guess I got burned out. Occasionally, I'll tune in to Ina Garten. My favorite show was Sara Moulton. Now I'm hooked on The Chew with Mario Battali, Daphne Oz, Chef Simon, and Clinton. It's a fun show, very entertaining, and they're always cooking up something delicious. I tape it during the day (1 pm in my area) and watch it at night sans commercials.

Posts: 6064 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I occasionally watch Pioneer Woman Sunday mornings on Food Network and enjoy Cook's Country on PBS. Have not yet watched Martha's Cooking School on PBS. Will catch it some day soon.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I record the new shows of Ina, Giada, and Ree Drummond. I haven't found many new recipes that I liked from Giada this season, so I've deleted many of the episodes without watching once I heard what she was going to make. I miss Claire Robinson with her Five Ingredient Fix. She had some good recipes that seemed much more complex than they actually were. I think overall that I use more recipes from Ina Garten than anyone else.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'm an Ina fan as well and also like Laura Calder on Cooking Channel.

Martha

Posts: 6225 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the patience to watch cooking shows but have found myself glued to the set for every episode of He*ll's Kitchen and Master Chef the last few Years ~ must be something about the competition and individual stories that I like plus all the helpful hints and ideas thrown in as well! Smile

Which is one of the reasons I have been encouraging Linderhof to apply to be a contestant on Master Chef ~ America's best home cook ~ for some time now although she has ignored any such suggestions! I know you will be reading this, Martha! You have all of the qualifications and a built-in fan club here on the forum so why not? Big Grin

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Julia Child, Julia with Jacques Pepin & he solo, Sara Moulton and Ina Garten. Test Kitchen is okay, too.
I watched Chopped ONCE and NEVER AGAIN - the contestant's hair was flopping all over her face and she cut herself and bled all over what she was prepping. YUK!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2819 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss Nathalie Dupree!!!!

Posts: 3496 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
I miss Nathalie Dupree!!!!

She lives in Charleston. Interesting note - she ran for the Senate in 2010.

For shows - I enjoy Triple D and I think Guy if fabulous but like all things related to Scripts - it is on waaayyyy too often.

Ina is one of my favorites but I hate her laugh. It sounds so fake. Early Paula Deen is enjoyable - the current Paula Deen is unbearable. Also, I don't know what it is but I really don't like that Pioneer woman.

I loved Gordon Ramsey's British show about revamping restaurants. It seemed to lose something when it moved across the pond. I don't care for the competition shows but I do like the original and American versions of Iron Chef.

I always learn something from Alton Brown on his shows. But my current favorite chef show is Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
You surprised me LOS. I didn't realize there was a fellow triple D fan on this board. It's full name is Diners, Drive-in and Dives. As you already know they find out about the places from emails sent in by fans of the places. The show doesn't scout them out on their own.

Everyone else, what channel is Alton Brown on?

Posts: 2654 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ricearoni
posted Hide Post
My favorites have changed over the years. Now I watch Create TV for Lidia Bastianich and Jacques Pepin cooking shows. Both are so self assured, they give me confidence to try new recipes.

Posts: 425 | Registered: Mar 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I like many of the above too. Some I have not watched or heard of...as yet.

Glad to NOT see the one above, I cannot abide.
Emeril Lagasse (Gassy Merle)
Saw a great deal on some cookware once...but unfortunately it had his name on it. Would not take it home for free at that point. BAM! Wink

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ricearoni
posted Hide Post
Re: Lidia Bastianich - If you have the chance, I suggest having lunch or dinner in one of her restaurants. Not inexpensive, but oh the experience is worth it! The style presented, service, and the food are tops. The pasta(s) - oh my. DH's idea of heaven.

Posts: 425 | Registered: Mar 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Some of the names I was not familiar with either.

Diners, dives and drive-ins is one that so far I have not gotten annoyed at. I like Ina but she seems somehow (to me) lacking in self confidence. . . not with cooking but with the social aspect of the show. Plus once I got annoyed with her to the point of emailing her when she gave a lunch for the workmen that were renovating her barn. I thought her attitude to them was very condescending.

Also I do not like Paula Deen's double entendre . . . not that I am a prude but she can be coarse. I used to watch semi homemade and liked the recipes but not the decorating she did.

Posts: 12946 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it might be Paula Deen I am thinking of? But I also don't enjoy watching TV cooks lick their fingers as they taste while preparing a dish.
OK...many may actually do this...but I just do not want to see it! Smile

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed watching Nigella Lawson. I like listening to her descriptive phrases and adjectives relative to food and cooking. I don't get The Cooking Channel so rarely get to watch her except when my TV service has a free preview weekend.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Jacques Pepin and America's Test Kitchen. I've also watched many series of Ina Garten's show and enjoyed them very much. Also, Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals are good - and whatever the name of her current show is. I loved Alton Brown's shows - I learned lots from him. And I began watching Julia Child as a bridge - she was absolutely fascinating - and have been a fan ever since. Julia and Jacques together were fabulous.

Seaborne

Posts: 1205 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Correction: as a "bride" - NOT a bridge - duh! LOL

Seaborne

Posts: 1205 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I loved Emeril's 8pm show until he went off Food Network. Learned so much! Haven't watched any of his new shows, which are associated with premium TV subscription costs--which we don't have.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like DDD I cannot stand the
McNeeleys and Paula Deen with
their double meanings.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Dec 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember back in the mid 90s I think it might have been on WGN - around mid afternoon they had a series called Great Chefs Of....and there would be chefs from different cities or countries preparing different dishes. I liked that show.

Loved the early Paula Deen before she became a superstar. Now she is just too bawdy-and I am by no means a prude!

Like DDD but its on way too much. Also like Ree and tricia's shows.

Can't stand the competition shows. The Neelys are too sweetsy/cutesy . Can't stand sandra lee- I just want to tell her to put on a shirt that isn't cut down to her belly button and to get her long sleeves out of the food....Not a fan of Ina-she grates on my nerve(only have 1 left).

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1DomesticGoddess
posted Hide Post
I use to watch all those cooking shows on the Food Network Channel, as well as The Cooking Channel, but I only enjoyed watching Pioneer Woman and Trisha's Southern Kitchen. A few weeks ago we decided to cancell Direct TV, so now I only watch America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country, Lidia Bastianich and Mary Ann Esposito on Create TV. I LOVE Create TV. I don't really miss all those cooking shows on Food Network.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1DomesticGoddess,

Posts: 265 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Chef at Home with chef Michael Smith is my all time fav. He also has other shows not on regular schedule.

Pitchin' In with chef Lynn Crawford.

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri and You Gotta Eat Here with John Catucci (he's not a chef but it's a similar format to DDD except in Canada only). A long term goal is to eat in as many of the DDD and YGEH restaurants as possible as I travel altho that goal is greatly at odds of my other goal of only eating healthy food! LOL

Lately I've watched and enjoyed Jamie Oliver's Christmas show altho he's not usually my fav chef.

I used to watch Ina, Rachel, Emeril, and Nigella but no more. Have occasionally watched PW but dislike her attitude.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Don't watch as many as I used to, but when I am in the mood, I enjoy watching Ann Burrell, Melissa D'Arabian, Giada DiLaurentiis and Ina Garten on Food Network. On PBS, I like Rick Bayless, Lidia Bastianich and Chris Kimball.

Those whose shows I cannot stomach (pun intended) are Rachael Ray, Pioneer Woman and Sandra Lee.

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
There have been a lot of spammers resurrecting old posts. I guess they are desperate for something to do...Wink

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post