Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pumpkin Pie From Scratch Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I did a first this weekend. Made a pumpkin pie from scratch. That means from a pumpkin not a can!

I was about to throw away the pumpkins I had for decoration in October and November when I thought, hey, why not see if you can use them!

So I halved and seeded them, baked them at 350 until they were soft and then scooped out the pulp.

With the pulp from one pumpkin, I made a pie. Not from the Libby recipe (which I had always used) but another that called for milk and cream (rather than canned milk) and brown and white sugar and spices.

OMG -- it was really really good and different from the canned one but I did like it better!

It was fresher!

Next year, I'm going to decorate with lots of little pie pumpkins that I can use!

Martha

Posts: 6198 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm - good for you. But even Martha Stewart recommends using the Libby's canned pumpkin. She says that she only buys two canned items: Pumpkin and canned milk.
But I have been making Libby's pumpkin recipe for over 40 years - with excellent results. I tweak the recipe a bit - by adding one more egg, using Carnation 2% condensed milk, adding vanilla, and increasing/varying the spices. Of course, whole milk or heavy cream can certainly be used in place of the canned milk as well. It's always good to read the recipes and then "tweak" them to one's desire.

Seaborne

Posts: 1200 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I used to do that too...process pumpkin 'meat'... some for now and some to freeze for later. Then I had an epiphany Wink pumpkin pie is okay, but sweet potato pie is better. LOL

I saw a 'chef' on television say that canned pumpkin puree is really Hubbard squash. But I checked Libby's online and their pumpkin is a variety of pumpkin...not squash. Perhaps some of the store brands, etc. are squash of some sort.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If it says "pumpkin" on the label it has to be PUMPKIN! Although I had heard that as well -- that most canned pumpkin was squash! All pumpkins are squash but not all squash are pumpkins!

And sweet potato pie is GOOD!

Martha

Posts: 6198 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
My Cousin made Paula Deen's recipe for sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving - with a meringue topping - and she made a butter press-in crust - just delicious.

Seaborne

Posts: 1200 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Someone on another board posted the USDA regs on "pumpkin"...they are allowed to add other squashes to the pumpkin.

However, back in the day, when I still lived in Ill., we occasionally would pass by pumpkin fields that had signs...Future Libby's Pumpkin.
And their cans read "100%" pumpkin!
And a couple years back, there was a small scare that there would be a canned pumpkin shortage due the pumpkin fields coming under heavy drought! Their crop wasn't as big as normal that year...and the tv news was showing only PUMPKIN fields, not squash fields.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I forgot...I used to grow & make my own pumpkin puree' from pie pumpkins. They are a bit sweeter than the ones most folks use for decorations.
And I even did some with honey has sweetener instead of sugar...I'll pass on that, not near as good.
I have adjusted my spices UP from the Libby's recipe....YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Libby's uses Dickinson pumpkins:
http://www.verybestbaking.com/...PurePumpkin15oz.aspx

I saw more in depth information yesterday...http://libbyspumpkinpie.com/libbys-pumpkin-pie-story/

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made pumpkin pie from scratch for several years. I know that Martha and Cooks Illustrated say that there isn't any difference but I beg to differ. Pie pumpkins are sweeter than pumpkin from a can. I use the Cooks Illustrated recipe which also uses some sweet potatoes. I bake the pumpkins in the oven and steam the sweet potatoes. I puree both in my food processor. The result is extremely smooth. The pie is lighter in color than that from a can. I have had some problems with pie crust from Cooks Illustrated and I am looking for a replacement. This type of pie takes more effort but I really do notice a difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Posts: 3224 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I too like real pie from pumpkins if I have the time. I prefer Anita Pritchard's filling recipe which calls for brown sugar and cream, used with Penzey's pumpkin pie spice that I measure over the bowl in case I get a bit more, that's okay!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Like I said before, I like mine "spicey"...

1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t ground cloves

My spice mixture turns my pies darker than those you can buy frozen or premade.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
Like I said before, I like mine "spicey"...
My spice mixture turns my pies darker than those you can buy froze or premade.

Ditto that for me as well!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post