Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  BBQ Sauce Recipe for nance425
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBQ Sauce Recipe for nance425 Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
(I didn't want to take over the original BBQ sauce question thread...)

The story behind the sauce: Husband's dad was a farmer and a rancher. Every so often (when one of his sons brought their entire Texas A&M group - 5th Group - home with him), his dad would literally kill the "fatted calf" and have it cooked for all the young men and dates that had been arranged. Wink The man who did the cooking never divulged his recipe but gave the Mrs. a list of ingredients. After the cook's death, husband's family worked on the recipe...I did the same after marrying into the family. Each sibling had a different idea of how they remembered it tasting. Wink

Funny story: Husband's ex was a teacher. One day she took leftover BBQ to work. As it heated in the microwave, someone stuck their head in the door of the teacher's lounge and drooled...said it smelled like her Uncle Joe's BBQ. Ex quickly determined it was the same man. The woman was shocked because Uncle Joe took the recipe to the grave with him. I hope Ex shared the recipe with Uncle Joe's family.

Here it is:
Joe Cooper's Barbeque Sauce

1 1/2 cup Vinegar
2 cups catsup
1 cup Tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Salt
4 tablespoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Red pepper
4 tablespoons Paprika
4 tablespoons Chili Powder
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 large Onions, chopped
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Tabasco Hot Sauce
1 cup Sugar
4 tablespoons Brown sugar
juice of 3 Lemons

All stove-top: Combine all ingredients. Simmer until onions are done. If you want to use this for a "sopping" sauce during the last few minutes of cooking, add 1 cup of oil.

Slow-cooker: Saute onions in a bit of the oil until translucent. Add with everything else in the slow-cooker. Cook on low at least 4 hours.

Note: you can easily halve this. I generally double it so that I can jar it. It generally disappears when the 'kids' leave after a visit. Check your seasonings and make adjustments to suit you and your family. For instance, you may not want to put in a whole tablespoon of Tabasco. Or you might like another hot sauce. You can use your non-HFCS catsup. Etc.

Edited to add: I can't help but plug Penzey's spices. They are inexpensive when compared to grocery store spices and are the freshest I've ever purchased! www.penzeys.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16497 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I may have to try this -- I've started making more and buying less. I have a good recipe but this sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Martha

Posts: 5410 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
thanks so much, Sherry. When I get thru all my bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce bottles, I'll have plenty to store your recipe in. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I edited the recipe. Cook on low in the slow cooker (I left out low).

Posts: 16497 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post