Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Need BD treats for Friday???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need BD treats for Friday??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
DH and staff bring in their own birthday treats on their day. Looking for new ideas. Can be cake, cookies, snacks, etc. Some stop and buy bagels. I think I can do better than that. Smile
I just don't know what I'm in the mood to make.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, nance, do you have a cake mix, one egg and some confectioner's (powdered) sugar on hand and able to buy a tub of Cool Whip ~ the large size about 2 and a half cups or so?

If so, here's an idea from Joanne Fluke's fun series of novels:

Combine cake mix, Cool Whip and a beaten egg in large bowl. Drop by teaspoon into the powdered sugar and roll to coat.

Place on greased cookie sheet, 12 to a pan, and bake at 350* for 10 minutes or so. I used a lemon and a red velvet cake mix for my experiment ~ not rocket science but it sure was fun and EVERYONE loved them ~ something different and, have to say, pretty "pretty" as well! Cool

ETA: Each box of cake mix makes about 20-30 cookies depending on size ~ try a lemon, red velvet and a chocolate cake mix ~ very inexpensive with a lot of flair and taste ~ sure beats buying bagels.... Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16574 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Because so many eat boughten treats anything homemade is always a winner. A good one is "doughnut muffins" -- and if you make them minis there's more butter/sugar/cinnamon ratio to dough! That makes them even better!

Martha

DOUGHNUT MUFFINS

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup milk
topping
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons Cinnamon-Sugar Plus

1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.

2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.

3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.

4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.

5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.

6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.

7) Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.

8) Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them. While they're cooling, melt the butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave).

9) Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the butter, then sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar. Or simply dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar.

10) Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature.

Yield: 12

Posts: 5443 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Don't these sound yummy?

http://www.marthastewart.com/3...h-cream-cheese-icing

Or, how about a nice platter with sliced or cubed fresh fruit: pineapple, strawberries, melon, etc. And, a yogurt honey dip on the side?

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES! I vote for the donut muffins. I am going to try this - mark it on my list for this weekend. Smile

Posts: 16574 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Idaho resident: Yep, I have all of those ingredients. Sounds interesting.

Martha: will the donut muffins keep until tomorrow if I make them today?

Achi: I keep asking him about carrot cake and he doesn't respond. But I like the carrot cake cupcake idea. It's up to me since I'm the baker, so it really doesn't matter. Smile I like the fruit platter idea, but we are snowed in. (got dumped on last night) so I can't get out for the fruit)
How do you make the yogurt dip? That sounds yummy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The last time I made them was for church treats. Made them on Sat night and they were fine Sunday morning. I do think that they are better baked, dipped, cooled and eaten but they were fine on Sunday and I didn't bring any home! (made 50 of them -- and 50 of the glazed doughnut muffins!)

Martha

Posts: 5443 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Well, we just made a batch and sampled them. Not bad. Smile We're going to make another batch and call it a day.

Thanks so much Lurah.

p.s. Noticed the carrot cupcakes required orange juice, so couldn't make those. (not an OJ fan, so none in the house)

IR: gonna try making your suggestion tonight, after the cool whip defrosts. Does the recipe have a name?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Did you mean Martha? I assume you made the doughnut muffins?

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Did you mean Martha? I assume you made the doughnut muffins?

Martha

oh, yep, meant you Martha. Made the donut muffins. Here are the finished products. I also made breadmaker oatmeal bread for us, just because. Smile

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
SNOW you say!!!!! Geez, we've got our A/C on here with temps in the high 80's!

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
NANCE -- they look perfect!

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:

IR: gonna try making your suggestion tonight, after the cool whip defrosts. Does the recipe have a name?

nance, As I said, I found the recipe in one of Joanne Fluke's novels about Hannah, the bakery owner who often finds herself involved in a mystery in her small town located, in all places, Minnesota! Talk about a small world! And I saw where you got 13 inches of snow!!!

Anyway, the precise ingredients are: one cake mix (approximately 18 ounces), one large beaten egg, 2 cups Cool Whip and powdered sugar in a separate bowl. Mix cake mix, beaten egg and Cool Whip in a large bowl ~ I just do it by hand since it's easy ~ no need to have to clean up beaters.

Roll a tablespoon or so of dough in the powdered sugar ~ bake the cookies on a nonstick or greased cookie sheet at 350* for 10 minutes. And, yes, they are called "Whippersnappers." Enjoy! Yummy

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Yep, we got lots! Anyone want some? Snow days always provide baking time. Smile

Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm late to the party, but how about those little cheesecakes that are made with the nilla wafers and topped with cherry pie filling?

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Jo-CT: Oh, that would have been a great idea. Except I don't have the lil wafers and we were snowed in. Saving it for another time.

I've never made them, but see the recipe all the time. Our K wafers are on sale and on the list. Now I know what to make with them instead of just eating them. (I could eat the whole box.) Smile
Thanks for posting and reminding me of those.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:

How do you make the yogurt dip? That sounds yummy.

Super easy. Take a large container of Greek style yogurt, plain or vanilla, and add honey to it!! Garnish with mint. Alternate: sour cream with granulated light brown sugar...awesome with sliced strawberries.

Posts: 5169 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Aychi: About how much honey/brown sugar?

posted Hide Post
TTT!
It's National Doughnut Day and I thought we need to review Martha's Doughnut Muffins!

I haven't made them yet...but I plan on it!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gosh, had I known, I would have made them for breakfast -- as it was I made biscuits -- not the same, not the same!

Martha

posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about for breakfast in the morning myself! Wink

posted Hide Post
I made the doughnut muffins today.

DELICIOUS! I ate one warm and after eating the cinnamon sugar off the top, dipped it in the dab of leftover butter and cinnamon sugar again. Big Grin That's permissible when there aren't any little ones in the house to clean your bowls for you. Wink

ETA: Son said they tasted like snicker doodles with nutmeg added.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
tell your son I thought the same thing... Smile

posted Hide Post