Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner in July Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nance -- you need to try Christopher Elbow Chocolates -- he's a Kansas City chocoltier -- they're OMG good! google and you can see his website. I'm off now to look for Abdallah Chocolates.

The chocolate dipped fruit was a gift to Daughter Sarah -- she shared Smile

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunday dinner was roast beef with carrots and new potatoes, fresh tomatoes (right out of the garden), fresh green beans, Asian slaw, and crusty Italian bread. Oh and we had watermelon chunks for dessert.

Posts: 647 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
DH didn't want me to mess with anything too heavy, but we wound up having veggie quesadillas.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6207 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We grilled margarita pizza, had a salad and ended with cantaloup -- too much ice cream while we were gone (LOL) although I am interested in a cantaloup sorbet and I may make that with the rest of the cantaloup tomorrow!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
We visited one of the "kids" this weekend. I nearly panicked when I saw bratwurst/sausage and buns and that was it! Lots of people after a long hot day. Easy fix.

I sliced one in half, found spinach in the refrigerator along with some avocado salad. Whew! Kept the calorie count low enough that a couple of glasses of champagne were possible. Big Grin I know...LOL...champagne and hot dogs! What a combo!

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It was cool enough to eat in the garden -- pasta with pesto and grated Parm cheese, a HUGE salad with lots of veggies and an oil and vinegar dressing, and cantaloupe for dessert.

Martha

Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
We cheated tonight and had Papa Murphys Pizza. Tomorrow night will be grilled pork chops, home made potato salad and corn on the cob. I made a banana pudding cake yesterday, so that will be dessert.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Last night was quick and easy with hamburger steaks, corn on the cob, broccoli and cantaloupe.

Tonight will be a WW fish recipe I came across years ago. It has tomatoes, celery, garlic and onions. Pour the sauce over fish and bake until the fish is done. I serve it with rice. I also reserve some of the sauce and add shelled shrimp. Both ways are good.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
One of our favorite (and simple) summer dinners -- grilled hamburgers (actually ground sirloin), nice thick slices of fresh garden tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt and a good grind of pepper and local corn on the cob. No dessert! We're out of cantaloupe!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Spinach ravioli
Mushroom white wine sauce
Acorn squash

Then I brushed and flossed my teeth so I would not be tempted to eat anything else.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can hold the position for 10 seconds. Go to resting position for 10 minutes (LOL not). Rest to the count of 10. Then repeat. I can do TWO of those.

Sherry, you are making progress. You tried them!!!! And you can do 2 of them!!!!
It will get easier...think about all of the muscles you are strengthening while doing them. (arms, back, stomach, legs) You go, girl! Keep us posted on your progress. Nine lbs is great....

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nance425
THREE planks.
Ten pounds. I think I'm losing 1/8 ounce per day...maybe 1/4 ounce but I doubt it. Young women! Lose that weight NOW...when you get older it "ain't" no picnic to get rid of it!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A red letter day here -- our first bacon and tomato of the season (we've never eaten BLT's -- only BT's!)

It was soooo good! I could have eaten TWO!

But we refrained.

And that was all we had . . . no sides and no dessert.

We savored each bite!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Both nights I've cooked this week it darkens up and thunderstorms while we dine! Tonight we enjoyed the first taste of ham we had processed!
It was indescribably delicious! Acorn squash that was very good - no idea where it came from this time of the season, fresh baking powder biscuits and local 'peaches & cream' corn on the cob.

I made Nance425's Frozen Strawberry Yoghurt pie with pretzel & gram crax crust that she posted previously and enjoyed that for dessert.

Nance425 or others who've tried this - how long did you let it set out of the freezer before cutting it? DH was in a hurry, and 15 minutes was too quick.

I can't eat frozen desserts or ice cream very successfully, so my piece thawed for an hour before I ate it. The pretzel/gram crust made it worth the effort to eat it however!

I did cut sugar by half in both crust and filling; prebaked crust for 15 minutes to prevent loose crumbs from flying all over. I used real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip and 1/3 fat cream cheese (I bought it by mistake) and strawberry flavored Greek yoghurts. I only had to go to the gas station for a 4 ounce bag of pretzels. I think that was pretty good pantry stash.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BLT!!! That looks delicious!!!

I bought groceries yesterday. Before checking out, I went back over to the deli and bought 3 fried chicken thighs and a container of fried okra. I was salivating! I got into the okra before checking out...MOF I had to snap the lid back on before the checker started. He grinned at me. He was cute. Wink And young...

I got home and DS was there helping DH with his computer. DH says, "We need to take Jonathan out for Chinese since he came over to help me."
I says, "Well, we have a problem." Then took the box of chicken and container of okra out of the bag. Since I had already eaten my fair share of the okra, I took out the remainder of the acorn squash and heated it up.

I savored every bite of that chicken after peeling the skin and fat off. Still...it settled heavy... Frown

We owe DS a good dinner. Wink

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
only had to go to the gas station for a 4 ounce bag of pretzels

Lurah, that's pretty funny. Never would have thought about buying the pretzels in a small portion at the gas station. Smile
glad you tried it and reported back. I'm going to save your tips. They were good ones.
(I was going to bake the crust too, but freezing it seemed to work out. I may try baking it next time.)
I'm with you, 15 minutes wasn't enuf time to soften for me either. I waited about 30 min or so. I'm sure on a really hot day and eating on the deck, the frozen pie would hit the spot though. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lunch:
Grilled ham & cheese
Fresh tomato
Potato chips
Dill pickle chunks from niece
Bread & Butter pickles from niece
DH had the full-meal-deal. I had half a sandwich, and 14 grams (half serving) of potato chips.

Supper:
Broiled chicken quarters (I will be eating a thigh)
Baked potato
Salad with fresh tomatoes. Big Grin

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We always dine out Sunday noontime, and supper is slim pickings. We picked up more fresh corn from the roadside stand and I made one-sided hamburgers to go with it. Some applesauce, fresh veggie relishes and Nance425's Frozen Strawberry Yoghurt Pie for dessert.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
My husband asked for meatloaf - which I seldom make. So, while he washed my car, I got busy. I ground top sirloin and lean pork - chopped onion - mixed together with some ground turkey - added chili sauce, oatmeal, an egg, seasonings and shaped into two loeaves - froze one for later use. Then, made a pot of baked beans, using canned pinto, kidney and chili beans. Put in a potato in the oven and have corn on the cob. It cooled down quite a bit out here today - though we've had a whole month with no measurable rain whatsoever - but our temperatures have been in the high 70's and into the 80's. Today, it was definitely high 60's, low 70's.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, asked dh if he'd rather had sirloin steaks w/h baked potatoes tonight or beef stroganoff with noodles. Long pause and he said, whichever you want. Been married long enough to know a non-answer when I hear one so said - which one? He answered, stroganoff....

So, three hours later, that's what we had over egg noodles (yes, store bought) with broiled tomatoes and grilled garlic bread. Light dessert of bing cherries - does it get any better? Yummy

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sausage links and multi grain bread french toast with a dash of cinnamon and cloves and real maple syrup. It smelled so good in here right afterward I made the food.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
A couple of things going on at our house.
1. I really need to make a grocery run.
2. I played around and we ended up having dinner at 8:30 last night.

I had some orange juice I had to use in the refrigerator so I made a marinade with ginger, garlic powder (out of garlic), orange juice and soy sauce and poured over bone in chicken breasts. Added herbs to the left over marinade and cooked it down to make a sauce for the grilled chicken.

No green veggies in the house (and they are required at dinner) I made a spinach casserole from frozen spinach with that I served gnocchi I had in the freezer. No bread or rolls so I made some drop pepper and chive biscuits.

The chicken was really good.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had pizza for lunch. Well, if you can call one slice having pizza. 320 calories per slice...so just one with a big salad.
I knew we would be going after church so I had no bread for breakfast...just milk and yogurt then ate a banana before leaving for church.

I figured my calories and knew if I had a green salad with chicken and just red wine vinegar to dress it that I would have a some calories left over. So...I made a batch of homemade vanilla ice cream with the KitchenAid mixer. Big Grin Spooned it into a couple of containers and popped one in the chest freezer for a faster "ripening." After supper, I had 1/2 cup while watching television. Let me tell you...you savor every teeny spoonful with you are just getting 1/2 cup!

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Charming - that marinade sounds very good. I have done that too - reserving and then cooking down for a sauce. (The meatloaf I fixed was delicious. And we ate "inside" - the first night in probably two weeks - by the time we ate at 8:30 PM - we would have had to wear coats as it had cooled down so much. But it was a perfect day for an oven meal.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Made celery root slaw to go with nothing special supper tonight.

Have any of you worked with celery root or celeriac before? I don't think I had a very good piece of produce to begin with! It seemed extremely woody througout the bulb.

The dressing I made for the slaw had good flavor from creme fraiche, chili powder, horseradish, Dijon, capers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
Sausage links and multi grain bread french toast with a dash of cinnamon and cloves and real maple syrup. It smelled so good in here right afterward I made the food.

CCM, That sounds so good! I love breakfast foods as dinner (pancakes, waffles, ect.) but that is the one area in which dh and I don't agree so I only get them when he's gone for the nite.... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I'm looking back at July and realized I barely "really" cooked anything. it was too hot. DH was happy with a baked potato a couple of times as dinner. that's it, just a big spud.
the kids are living on baloney sandwiches or pb or just cold cereal and milk and fruit.

today was cool and cloudy and I made chili.. it was DS's birthday (the big 30) and he and his GF stopped by and we just all sat in the cool of the house and visited, I made a nice batch of chili for lunch, but supper was just couple of hot dogs and chips.

I've promised DH homemade fried chicken for his birthday at the end of August, but other than that I have no idea what we're eating next month.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Well, after a series of meals out, we ate at home (and had company to boot-- unexpected company!) -- made steelhead trout which I sautéed with a sprinkle of bouquet garni, salt and pepper. New potatoes and peas in a cream sauce (Mother always served salmon, new potatoes and peas -- sometimes creamed and sometimes parsley potatoes and peas with a pour of cream). Blackberry cobbler for dessert -- alas, no ice cream! (and still warm rom the oven!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
DH saw a different recipe for chicken salad on Facebook using avocado, cilantro,onion...that's about it. I had intended to make chicken salad and serve it in avocado halves so instead I did this.

NOTHING to write home about. As I was stirring and tasting, I added some jalapeno and some cumin. Finally decided that it was what it was.

We had that and sliced tomato. After figuring my calories and finding I had consumed just over 800...surprised me...I had some homemade vanilla ice cream. Smile Then I brushed and flossed...

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
My favorite chicken salad is very simple - diced poached or roasted chicken breast with finely diced celery. The dressing is mayo, softened cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and powdered buttermilk ranch dressing. You can use whole fat, fat free or reduced fat for the dressing ingredients. Mix well then add to the chicken and celery.

posted Hide Post
My chicken salad is generally roasted chicken (I think it has more flavor) (OH a friend uses grilled chicken and THAT IS GOOD!)...
mayonnaise
just a bit of mustard
sweet pickle relish
chopped apple
chopped celery or celery seed
boiled egg
salt and pepper

THAT would have been delicious served in an avocado half!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A friend and I had lunch at the little Italian grocery in the town 20 miles south of us (an Italian town) and I bought cheese stuffed shells (6 shells for $3). We had those for dinner with marinara sauce and mozarella cheese and a salad of romaine, fresh tomatoes and basil with a garlicky dressing.

Martha

posted Hide Post
I made a grilled ham and cheese with tomato and honey mustard and mayo for lunch. For dinner I made some chicken breasts with cream of chicken soup and for the first time ever, fried zucchini. It actually was tasty though I burned it on the one side. I used shake and bake for the coating then just put in some olive oil and fried it.

My intention with the chicken breasts was to make chicken salad so I may do that tomorrow. I have lettuce and onions and mayo.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
My chicken salad is generally roasted chicken (I think it has more flavor) (OH a friend uses grilled chicken and THAT IS GOOD!)...
mayonnaise
just a bit of mustard
sweet pickle relish
chopped apple
chopped celery or celery seed
boiled egg
salt and pepper

THAT would have been delicious served in an avocado half!

That's pretty much how I make tuna salad and how my mother made both chicken and tuna salad except onion instead of apple. Sad to say, I grew up not liking chicken salad until I realized that although I liked those things in tuna salad - I did not like it in chicken.

Then in the 1980's I discovered chicken salad made from white meat with just mayo, celery and mayo. Then my step daughter had the WW recipe using fat free stuff that is now the basis for my chicken salad.

posted Hide Post
Tuna salad at my house has dill pickles instead of sweet, chopped onion, no apples.

I make ham salad like tuna salad.