Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner in July Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's July 1 -- we had some interesting dinners in June (and found some new recipes as well) . . . so what is for dinner in July?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Martha

Posts: 5902 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I had a very busy day and a late meeting -- so dinner was $1 tacos (Monday is Taco Monday) at our local Mex restaurant! But we did have leftover marble French yogurt cake (for I did have company for tea and made a fresh cake for them).

Martha

Posts: 5902 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was supposed to 107* here today ~ "only" got to 106* Razz so definately NOT cooking ~ at least not for long and not going outside to grill either!

Marinated some sirloin steaks and broiled them in the oven along with halved fresh tomatoes topped with garlic powder and fresh shredded Italian Five Cheese ~ store-bought package containing mozzarella, provolone, romano, asiago and parmesan cheeses. Served with the most beautiful slices of avocado (for some reason the avocadoes have been great the last month or so with perfect green color, huge and no strings or black spots - must be a good time of the year for them although I don't really remember June ever being a particular "avocado" month - anyone else been noticing this?) and store-bought Sour Dough Bread.

Notice the theme? Used the broiler seven minutes tops ~ 3 1/2 minutes each side as we like medium rare ~ no way am I heating up the house for cooking when it's supposed to be near 109* tomarrow! Stay cool everyone and for those of you in the East, stay dry! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Oh IR, how awful. I feel for people out west and in the heat areas. I'm keeping cool thoughts going your way.

We had fish and shrimp. I marinated some Mahi-Mahi and shrimp in lemon, garlic and olive oil. I added some peppers and onions before cooking the shrimp and then cooked the fish.

Potatoes and sautéed kale. Sliced tomatoes on the side with garlic bread.

Good, quick and yummy!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3511 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
IR -- how awful -- do you also have a heat index that shows hotter than the temp? We suffered through over 100 degrees with a heat index of 3 or 4 degrees above the actual temp for most of last summer -- you barely want to eat much less cook . . . but your menu sounds delicious!

Martha

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Chuck eye steaks on grill. Today, with fresh cukes, sliced, salt and peppered, then tossed with sour cream. (not the traditional cuke salad)

Ice tea.

Posts: 4474 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Tonight, nothing elaborate. Just my favorite summer meal: Chinese cold and spicy sesame/peanut noodles with shredded chicken. I make the sesame peanut sauce from scratch, but I cheat by using rotisserie chicken from the deli. I add julienned red pepper, sliced cucumbers and shredded carrots. Plus fresh cilantro.

Posts: 5287 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
It's always warm here so I don't really cook according to the weather, I really like braising and other long cooking methods so I do it when the desire strikes. However, today I made a roasted Rock Cornish Hen, roasted broccoli, made some Rice Pilaf, and a Cucumber salad with Ken's Steak House Italian Dressing and Marinade (that stuff is so good, sometimes I just want to put a straw in the bottle and drink it), and a lot of fresh cracked pepper over it.

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a grilled pork chop, fresh corn on the cob, and my grandmother's coleslaw. The church ladies came to learn how to make lavender bottles and I served lemon herbal tea and lavender cutout cookies.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
DH suggested meatloaf last night but I got a late start to dinner today so I made Steak Diane, parsley buttered new potatoes, broccoli with Hollandaise.

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Even though we should be eating summer meals, we didn't tonight. Pork chops cooked in mushroom gravy, rice and peas. We did have a summertime dessert though.....fresh, cold watermelon. It hit the spot!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Last night we had wine and herb poached salmon; a summer salad of orzo with pine nuts, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, lemon and feta cheese; a wedge salad to start and homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert (with mint shortbreads!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Last night we had wine and herb poached salmon; a summer salad of orzo with pine nuts, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, lemon and feta cheese; a wedge salad to start and homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert (with mint shortbreads!)

Martha

Oh Linderhof, that's my perfect dinner! I love salmon, especially Scottish Salmon, poached, it's so buttery. I have 3 boys and they all love to fish (I do too as well as my girls and husband), every time they go deep sea fishing on the boat I tell them to catch me a Salmon!! Well, we live in Florida and we all know that's not going to happen! but it has made for a standing joke for many years. They do catch some awesome Pompano though, and that fish is like eating butter in its fish form!

Posts: 968 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the holiday meal at the family farm with fresh flavored brats, old fashioned franks, baked beans, potato salad, deviled eggs, panzanella salad, watermelon and homemade layer German's Chocolate Cake for dessert.

Posts: 2749 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm dieting. Frown If I eat any more salad, my ears are going to grow long and my nose is going to start twitching. I'll be real cute though. Smile

Yesterday we went out for lunch. I had fried shrimp, half the coleslaw, half the pinto beans. No fries. After I got home I checked the calories. 6-8 breaded and fried shrimp = 545 calories! I ate 12. They weren't big...the calorie counter did not mention count/per pound. But the breading was on 12...not 6-8.

I've lost weight before...but I prefer to eat what I want when I want. My goal is that when I get to the ripe old age of 80 - I am going to eat what I want when I want. Period. So I better know what's going on then! I think I need to tell the kids now that when I turn 80 to bring chocolate when they come to visit - in case I don't remember to tell them then. Wink

Posts: 17048 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martha for the Orzo salad suggestion. I have everything but the pine nuts (I have a jar in the freezer but it's been there for a couple of years! Eek )

Sherry - I know how you feel. I am really going to have to make some serious changes. But I don't fry, I don't do large portions, but I do snack. Frown

For the 4th DS and her husband were over. We kept it simple because we wanted to enjoy some cool ones in the pool. Wink

She prepped and precooked the pork ribs and brought the potato salad. I fixed green beans with seasoning meat, marinated pork chops, sliced tomatoes and peach short cake. Before dinner I put the ribs on the grill to dry out and sauced them up and cooked the chops on the grill.

I called her at the last minute and asked her to get rolls if she was stopping at the grocery. She wasn't but she had a package of Whitehouse Rolls in the freezer she would bring. Being a good Richmonder, I also had a bag in the freezer to go with the country ham I had to go with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3511 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I have a fitness pal app on my iphone -- it tells you calories of almost EVERYTHING! I often check it before I order when I'm out. Sometimes it is surprising -- what you think is good for you . . . or low cal . . .

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
No clue about dinner tonight but tomorrow is our annual - Breakfast at Wimbledon.

DH asked for eggs instead of his usual request for waffles and he asked for - sausage gravy. I have been cooking for about 40 years and I have yet to make sausage gravy. I had to review it with DS when she was over to make sure I had the right idea.

So the menu right now is strawberries and fruit salad (probably a fresh ambrosia) scrambled eggs, potato casserole, bacon, sausage gravy, biscuits,and sliced tomatoes.

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- sounds good! And you haven't made sausage gravy? Ever! Wow!

Martha

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you haven't made sausage gravy? Ever! Wow!

Martha

My ex was from southern Virginia. He used to ask me for sausage gravy. What? I tried but never got it right. I didn't eat it. He ate it but never complimented me on it -- sometimes silence speaks volumes!

KYIS -- your post was so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MyLife - Glad to give you a laugh. Wink

I like sausage, gravy, and biscuits. Pour gravy over the sausage. Butter the biscuits and eat them with jelly/jam/preserves.
However, do NOT put scrambled up sausage in my gravy. I don't know what the deal is with me...but I don't like it that way. I'm funny like that. Smile

Supper tonight:
I made a loaf of bread and a pot of BBQ sauce. I also made homemade chocolate-cinnamon ice cream which is now in the freezer "ripening."
Ribs are on the grill as I type. Vegetables - eggplant and zucchini - will go on the grill before dinner.

I ate a light breakfast and a light lunch. I have to be careful at supper - but I am going to enjoy every single bite! Big Grin

Posts: 17048 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Saturday brunch DH requested Cheddar Cheese souffle, fresh bacon, bakery made dark dough cinnamon raisin toast with dark sweet cherry jam. Yum.
Especially the thick slices of toast!
I think I'll have one before bed tonight.

posted Hide Post
KYIS--I thought your post was funny, too!

I pan friend some chicken drumsticks the other night so that took care of dinner for two nights. They were actually pretty good. Made baked potatoes the first night and some packaged pasta mix (olive oil and garlic pasta roni, or something like that) tonight. Had salad and fresh fruit with it.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Watching the tennis final now and breakfast came out really good. The gravy was good. I will need a little more practice. I think a stronger flavored sausage would have been better. I wanted to get the store made from a local grocer but traffic here on Saturdays stopped me from going further than the chain grocery on the corner. Eek

The potato casserole was the best I've made - changed up a few thngs and the fruit salad - variation on a recipe for Michigan Fruit salad. I used brown sugar instead of honey.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
This evening I'm going to make Bacalao Fritters and Ceviche with Grouper we caught this morning,a 33 pounder, he's going to be dinner for a few nights!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
That sounds really good. I kind of wish we were water people, but then again I like to get it fresh from the fish market.

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- a 33 pound grouper -- I"m jealous!

We had pork (lots of those on the prairie -- LOL!), as in chops which husband grilled as well as fresh corn (from the grocery -- alas, not from a farmer -- not time for farmer fresh corn yet!) and my grandmother's red cabbage (for cabbage goes so well with pork and that IS at the Farmer's market!)

Oh, and blueberry ice cream for dessert (for we have those at the Farmer's market as well as blackberries!)

Martha

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
alas, not from a farmer -- not time for farmer fresh corn yet!)

Martha

We've had corn here for a week yesterday -- NE Ohio. I'm curious why we would have corn before you.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
That is curious -- our corn time is late July and into August.

Driving through Iowa the last week of June, I noticed that their corn fields weren't developed yet either!

(Of course, I know that's field corn . . . but)

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had grilled hamburgers, pepper slaw (with poblanos so it had some heat), and more corn on the cob. A real summer meal!

Martha

Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Tonight is spaghetti with garlic bread and watermelon for dessert. Sunday hubby grilled hamburgers and we had potato salad and pork and beans. I wish he was here to grill tonight!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It is HOT on the prairie and I did my errands at Farmmer's Market time so I was at the grocery store and was hot and sweaty.

Lettuce beckoned as did Santa Claus melon and watermelon -- COOL foods!

The steak we were going to have for dinner was put back in the fridge and we had a big Mexican salad (with corn and black beans) and icy cold melon for dessert.

MUCH better than a hot old steak!

Martha

Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
In California we've had fresh corn for the past few weeks - and just a few days more.

In this heat (100+ for weeks now) we never heat up the oven. It's all grilling & salads, all the time!

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is curious -- our corn time is late July and into August.

Driving through Iowa the last week of June, I noticed that their corn fields weren't developed yet either!

(Of course, I know that's field corn . . . but)

Martha

We've had a catch-up rainy spring and many farmers had a month delay getting crops in, but no complaints as the 2012 drought issues are overwith. We generally have local sweet corn for July 4th, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Steaks on the grill, corn on the cob, and a salad of arugula with roasted baby beets and blue cheese and walnuts with a vinaigrette.

We were too full for dessert!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Husband wasn't very hungry so we shared one of those country ribs from Saturday (only one left now).
I sliced it and slathered with BBQ sauce to heat in the microwave.
Someone at work gave me fresh ripe tomatoes...that's all husband wanted with his. I sliced us one tomato each. Big Grin
I put mine on top of mixed green salad with some kalamata olives and one lone tablespoon of homemade peppercorn salad dressing.
Finished off with watermelon.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry --

we ate out last night -- and had ribs -- brought LOTS home. Dinner tonight was those leftover ribs, sweet potato fries (homemade), coleslaw and honey vanilla fromage blanc with berries and raspberry sauce. I've been wanting to make that dessert "forever" and finally found some fromage blanc. It was quite good.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The last of the ribs for dinner tonight, with grilled Italian onions and new potatoes (from the Farmer's market) and corn salad. That was the LAST of the ribs . . . but for the $35 we paid Thurs night -- we got THREE meals for two out of them so they were definitely a bargain!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Fresh line caught wild King Salmon - with corn on the cob and spinach salad - bacon, Craisins - cheese, etc... (We got the salmon at Costco.)

Seaborne

Posts: 1121 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pan seared a T-Bone steak and finished it off in the oven... with the juices and fond left on the bottom of the pan, deglazed with beef stock, reduced, added a little Dijon mustard, small amount of horseradish preparation, whisked everything together, added some sauteed mushrooms, added a splash of cream and finished with a tab of butter. Along with that, roasted together very small potatoes, carrots and onions.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had grilled thin pork chops, baked sweet potato and steamed green beans (from the farmers' market). Yum.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Few nights ago DH requested steak. I was fixing twice baked potatoes and the first of the local fresh corn on the cob. He came right back in with the steaks, declaring the gas tank was empty....so I had to do a quick switch. Made my favorite indoor steak recipe in a cast iron skillet from 60 minute meals cookbook. After browning rib eyes well, then a shallot, red wine vinegar and cream sauce is made with the fond. Yum.
We enjoyed the final local strawberries a few days ago.
I need to get to the Farmer's Market soon.
We've had alot of dining out with a variety of functions, etc. Seems we have few opportunities to eat at home which I really miss.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Hubby grills our for us a lot...and he has been doing lots of other cooking as I just haven't been feeling that great. Nothing serious, but pulled a muscle by vacuuming...had to go to p/therapy for a few weeks. I'm much better, but still have a ways to go.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
It would probably do me a world of good if DH had to do the cooking. I'd lose weight for sure, 'cause he can't cook worth a flip!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
It would probably do me a world of good if DH had to do the cooking. I'd lose weight for sure, 'cause he can't cook worth a flip!!

LOL - Soon after we first met - DH and I would take turns cooking and the other washing up. After a few hot dog nights and one too many sloppy joes - I volunteered to cook if he did hte dishes. I has worked for almost 30 years.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Ugh...I realized I have a container in the refrigerator with one lone rib left. I'll have to toss it. I HATE wasting food.

NINE pounds down. This has been a slooooowwww process. Someone suggested doing "Plank" instead of situps. I looked at the video and laughed. Riiiight! Tried them last night. I can hold the position for 10 seconds. Go to resting position for 10 minutes (LOL not). Rest to the count of 10. Then repeat. I can do TWO of those. Smile

After lunch today, husband called and said we had been invited to his brother's for brother's birthday supper. Later sister-in-law called and asked if I had horseradish. I had the chance to ask what was on the menu: shrimp cocktail, steaks, baked potatoes, Caesar salad, Texas sheet cake. I asked her to not bake a potato for me.

The shrimp cocktail was boiled shrimp you dipped yourself in cocktail sauce.
I ate four shrimp, half my steak, a double helping of salad, and a piece of cake that was 1" x 2". I sniffed it first then savored every teeny bite...thought about doing a When Harry Met Sally diner scene, but at the first moan brother-in-law told his wife to package up two slices of cake and send us home. LOL

Later we took a stroll in the garden and I brought home a few tomatoes and a couple of peppers SIL planted for bell peppers only after they were too squat and small she looked at the labels again - Mexican bell peppers. She said they had a bit of heat. Something new for all of us.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Grilled shrimp with Emeril's seasoning over cream cheese & bacon grits with blackberry gastrique sauce.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're still at our DDs and SILs -- enjoying the new grand!

So I'm spoiling them --

dinner last night

Wedge salad with Farmer's market tomatoes, blue cheese, bacon and garden basil with vinaigrette (DD loves blue cheese and hasn't had any for 9 months!)

Lasagna with garlic bread

Gift chocolate dipped fruit for dessert

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Well, you're already there... Congratulations!!! Where did you find the "gift chocolates?"

I love iceberg lettuce wedges ever since I had one in S. Dakota a few years back. (even though I'm not a fan of blue cheese, I loved the dressing they put over it and the crunch of the iceberg!)

p.s. You must find and sample Abdallah Chocolates (made in MN)

http://www.abdallahcandies.com...d-chocolates-C46.cfm

comments:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/abdall...and-gifts-burnsville

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I also like wedge salad. So simple and so refreshing.

Last night I cooked Salmon Cakes (I'd made up the cakes a couple of weeks ago when I found some salmon on sale and froze them.) With them I made broccoli slaw, potato wedges and ...

At Long Last I tried out my new ....

POPOVER Pan!!!

OMG - the Parmesan popover blew every thing else out of the water. For once I timed the meal to coincide with the bread being ready.

DH has been asking for a peach desert. I combined 2 recipes and made a peach crisp with a creamy custard. Came out pretty tasty. DH will eat on it all week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info