Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What's Cooking in May?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Cooking in May? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR -- how did you like the steelhead? We had it last week.

Martha

Posts: 5407 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomarrow will be roast beef dinner with gravy/potatoes and bisquits ~ it's about 20 degrees cooler here than it was a day or so ago so time for one last "cold" weather dinner.

Planning on rib-eye steaks, marinated mushrooms and baked potatoes for the extended weekend. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
SR -- how did you like the steelhead? We had it last week.

Martha

Martha, we love the Steelhead trout, first time I made it I thought it was Salmon... I just went up to the counter in the store and pointed to what I wanted. Brought it home and cooked it and was thinking, it LOOKS like Salmon, but tastes a little different so I checked the label and it was Steelhead. Did you like it?

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight I'm making Korean Bulgogi. Traditionally it's made with beef but I happen to have a pork tenderloin on hand so I started marinating yesterday in a zip-lock baggie. We like it, it's a Korean BBQ, very tasty but also very easy!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonight I'm making Korean Bulgogi.

That sounds interesting. Could you post the instructions on how to make it?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
SR --yes, we love it. It does taste different than salmon although it looks like it -- like younger thiner salmon. We get ours at Costco and I've noticed that they've also got it in the frozen section individually frozen (they have the same with salmon).

And what is Korean Bulgogi? THAT I've never heard of!

Martha

Posts: 5407 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:

And what is Korean Bulgogi? THAT I've never heard of!

Martha

Here's the recipe:

It's traditionally wrapped in lettuce leaves, but you can serve it over rice. For added spice, serve Asian chile-garlic sauce on the side.

1.5 lbs. rib-eye steak, pork tenderloin, or chicken breast
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 T hot chile sesame oil
2 T dark-brown sugar
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 T finely grated fresh peeled ginger
2 med. red onions, halved and cut lengthwise into 1 inch wedges
1 green pepper, seed and ribs removed, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
4 t. vegetable oil
Broccoli separated into small pieces
1/2 small can water chestnut, rinsed and sliced
1 head Boston lettuce separated into leaves

Marinade
Mix together the second, third, forth, and fifth ingredients, divide in half, and put 1/2 of the marinade in a zip-lock bag.

Slice meat diagonally against the grain into 1/8 inch thick pieces and place in bag with marinade, refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Remove meat from bag and dry with paper towels.
Heat 2 t. vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, broccoli, and water chestnuts cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel.

Heat remaining 2 t. vege oil over high heat. Cook half the meat, turning often, about 2 minutes, transfer to plate and cook the second 1/2. Return all ingredients to the pan along with the juices and add the second half of marinade stir to heat through about 1 more minute.

Enjoy!

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
SR, wow!

TFS your Bulgogi recipe. Haven't had it since I lived in NY and DC. I love it. And, this looks pretty easy to prepare.

The Chinese have a similar version of this dish, which I once had in LA: it featured squab and it was delish.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aychi, it's real easy. If you try it, let me know if you like it or not Wink

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If you find a Korean restaurant, you must try it! The Kimchi is fantastic!

Posts: 16490 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
This is somthing DH would love!!! I will probably make it this weekend!

Martha

posted Hide Post
KYIS, I love Kimchi, that's another recipe I'd like to try. My brother was stationed in Korea for a few years and he came home and introduced us to Kimchi, boy oh boy is that delicious! I think it needs to be fermented for a while. I'm going to look it up on YouTube. I've ordered it off Amazon but it's not the same, it has a citric acid flavor.

Linderhof, if you make it please let us know if you and your husband liked it!

posted Hide Post
There is a freezer process for making Kimchee quickly.

My BIL and SIL were in S Korea for BILs job (before I married into the family). I love hearing the stories. No cheese! They drained yogurt overnight and used it for cheese.

We found a Korean restaurant when we lived on the Gulf coast. It became one of my favorite restaurants. There's another close to where I now live, but husband isn't as fond of it as I am so we haven't eaten there but a time or two.

Posts: 16490 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I am a kimchee lover also but would not want to try making it at home.

Funny story: we used to frequent a Korean-owned sandwich shop years ago and one day DH asked the owner if he made kimchee to sell in the shop. He looked aghast at DH and said, "Oh, no, I never make it; it is too stinky."

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:

Funny story: we used to frequent a Korean-owned sandwich shop years ago and one day DH asked the owner if he made kimchee to sell in the shop. He looked aghast at DH and said, "Oh, no, I never make it; it is too stinky."

Aychi, it is very stinky!! My brother used to ferment it in the basement... my poor mother had to go down there to do the laundry! During that time it was the fastest loads of laundry's she's ever done! We had a Korean Restaurant that made Kimchi Soup, oh boy that was he@venly!!

posted Hide Post
I've heard that there's a freezer method to make kimchi, but have not located it.

Here's a quick recipe:
http://www.easykoreanfood.com/Kimchi-Recipe.html

Here's another:
http://norecipes.com/blog/kimc...sthash.lSuvkXBG.dpbs

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
After a few evenings of dinner out, I cooked tonight -- "Margarita" pasta (pasta, cherry tomatoes and clippings from my just planted basil plus Parm cheese), homemade bread, and Wilted lettuce salad with my garden lettuce, radishes, onions and bacon. No dessert although I made a rhubarb pie for tomorrow.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We generally have a high tea Saturday noon, today was an egg dish we learned in freshman home ec class.
For supper tonight homemade potato soup - rather chilly, rainy day here. Soup weather in May, who'd ever have thought for Memorial Day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It's Memorial Day Weekend -- time for grilling! Husband smoked ribs (the proper KC way) and we had baked beans also cooked long and low in the smoker . . and corn on the cob (not local) and we'll have rhubarb pie for dessert!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Simple supper tonight in preparation for tomorrow's grilled steaks. I baked a loaf of artisan bread, sliced it straight from the oven. We had hot ham (real ham not sandwich meat ham) and Swiss cheese sandwiches with mixed salad greens. Mini Kosher pickles, sweet gherkins and CHEETOS!! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
Planning on rib-eye steaks, marinated mushrooms and baked potatoes for the extended weekend. Cool

Dinner tonight could not have been better in a 5-star restaurant ~ DH grilled the steaks (rib-eye with bone-in) which was a bit tricky as they actually looked like part of a prime rib but came out as requested ~ medium rare! The marinated mushrooms and bakers (Idaho Russets - of course) were fluffy and delicious with toppings of choice finished up with hot homemade bread. Yummy

Think we will live on the left-overs for the next day or so. I hope everyone has a wonderful memorial day remembering those who gave all AND any family members who are no longer here....

posted Hide Post
Oh, IR, you're makking my mouth water. I can't remember the last time I had a really good steak.

Last night I made the taco/sloppy joe meat and jazzed up a pasta salad with extra spices, olive oil, bacon bits, and pepperoni. Both were simply delicious. Kind of amazed myself.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
IR -- we rarely order steaks out because either I (inside) or DH (outside) can prepare pretty darn goods ones at a fraction of the cost of going out!

Your meals sounds fantastic!

Martha

posted Hide Post
DH-grilled ribeye steaks - I agree as good as or better than most restaurants!

Corn
Hearts of palm and avocado salad
Mixed green salad
homemade bread

Funny: DS walked through and saw the corn. Do you know that corn does not have much food value and he's trying to lose weight. My jaw dropped and I replied but it has fiber. In the next breath, he asked me if I would put some cream cheese on the corn. LOL

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Memorial Day and we had leftovers!!! Ribs and beans and I made a French potato salad to go along with the leftovers. Oh, and homemade dill pickles and the last of the rhubarb pie.

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:

Last night I made the taco/sloppy joe meat and jazzed up a pasta salad with extra spices, olive oil, bacon bits, and pepperoni. Both were simply delicious. Kind of amazed myself.

Good for you, CCM, see... we are going to make you a great cook yet! First step is surprising yourself that, yes, you can do it! Smile

Second step is to just keep trying ~ not everything will be a success, but that's how all of us learned.... Cool

I agree with several of you ~ I never order steaks in a restaurant because we can do them so much better but did I say, never? That doesn't count filet migon or Beef Wellington, does it???? Big Grin

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Made a rendition of about 3 different recipes and came up with a pan hamburger steak with a merlot-cream-shallot sauce; baked potatoes and one of my favorite leafy green lettuce salads with avocado & pear with sweet Italian dressing.
Strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spaghetti and meatballs from a grocery store/deli in a little "Italian" town 20 miles south of us. They're homemade meatballs and spaghetti sauce is awesome! And for a busy day it was an easy meal -- just heat and eat! Of course, I made a chivey buttery hot garlic bread and a salad of broccoli and cauliflower from the Farmer's Market as well as a green onion with a poppyseed dressing. No dessert -- we're trying to be good! (But I have a gallon of strawberries to pick up tomorrow so . . . can anyone say "strawberry shortcake"?)

Martha

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
For weeks and weeks, I've been craving homemade tacos and tonight, I finally got around to fixing them. Ground beef tacos, Mex. rice., and homemade pinto beans. Our store had a new brand of corn tortillas this week, Tia Rosa. The reason I bought it was because it was the only package I could find with 12 tortillas. I was impressed.

I.R., do you use a meat thermometer, use the timing method, or the "thumb test" to get the steak done the way you want it? DH is the BBQer and he likes everything well done (his chicken is like cardboard). I never get my preferred med. rare steaks. I can't complain because I don't really want to take on the chore of BBQing, there's enough for me to do in the kitchen; besides, I probably wouldn't do a much better job myself!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made spaghetti (angel hair pasta) with meatballs tonight, too. Used the canned Hunts sauce and jazzed it up a little. Had a salad, fresh strawberries, and canned mandarin oranges.

Going to make hamburgers tomorrow night.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:

I.R., do you use a meat thermometer, use the timing method, or the "thumb test" to get the steak done the way you want it? DH is the BBQer and he likes everything well done (his chicken is like cardboard). I never get my preferred med. rare steaks. I can't complain because I don't really want to take on the chore of BBQing, there's enough for me to do in the kitchen; besides, I probably wouldn't do a much better job myself!

I hear you, CA Lori, because my DH is in charge of the grill and no way am I going to change that! I have enough work inside the house and the kitchen (my Mom didn't raise any dumb daughters!) so I keep my mouth shut when he brings it in "not quite done" although he likes it that way so I serve the dinner with the main entree the way he has prepared (I put mine into the oven and broil it a bit more) but I have to say, that it works for us ~ he grills and has fun ~ I add the finishing touches...

To answer your question, I really don't use any of those tests ~ I, instead, use simply an "eye-ball" test; I know that sounds strange but I can almost see how cooked any meat is, just by looking at it! Cool

But that doesn't help you, CA Lori, when your dh brings in over-cooked meat - no way to un-do what has been "done" and I do mean "well-done." Here's my best suggestion in that case, let him keep grilling "his own steaks" and do what I have done on occasion ~ mostly with pork ribs. I've told dh that I really prefer baking country style ribs but want him to grill his own - it works for us....

Might work with you as well, CA Lori, just tell your dh that he should grill his steak and you'll broil yours in the oven. Depending on thickness, 3 minutes topside and then 2 minutes after flipping should get you a perfect "medium rare." Yummy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,