Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What's Cooking in May?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Cooking in May? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lurah
posted
Tonight I prepared & delivered dinner that our daughter and her housemates requested. It felt just like May Day! I knocked on the door, they came running downstairs and took in the home cooked aromas of meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, Jiffy Corn Casserole as I ran back out to head to my evening function.
Did ask them to choose an eve next week when I will bring a special celebration dinner over.

They graduate in a few more days. I'm going to present each of them with a ring binder of the recipes I've prepared for them through the years. They'll each get our local Junior League cookbook, too.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah -- glad you started this thread for May! Between being gone yesterday, coming home only to be co-hostess for a dinner meeting and then, when finally home having my two newspaper columns to write, I hardly got to peek at this forum much less start something!

So thank you!!!!

My dinner last night was at the meeting -- our hostess had the clever idea of a May Day basket dinner -- little baskets with bottles of water, tea sandwiches (cucumber, pimiento cheese and chicken salad), chips, vegetables and my contribution -- a margurite daisy cookie in a cello bag. It was really a clever idea!

BTW, DH had leftover spaghetti and meatballs so he was well fed!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Not cooking tonight -- but I did cook this afternoon -- teaching a Cooking With Herb class. Made (or are making) -- a pea salad with dill; a pasta salad with cucumber, green and red pepper, onion and a sweet dressing with chives or sage (Haven't decided), herbed biscuits (with my herb flour which I keep by the stove and put all those little snippets of herbs in), a herb butter (probably chive) and basil ice cream with a bitter chocolate sauce for dessert.

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Very simple foods since I'm just getting back on feet again after broken leg.

Tonight, a beef stroganoff casserole. Used my beef bone broth in it for extra nourishment. Chunks of veggies in a homemade vinagrette made with raw honey and raw, unpasturieze apple cide vinger.

Love these threads.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Beef rump roasted with potatoes, carrots & onion, pan gravy and fresh strawberry pie.
My favorite dinner.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thermometer hit 90° F. today, so I harvested some of my Meyer lemons and mint and made lemon simple syrup and lemon juice to put together citron pressé. I know that's not cooking per se, but when it gets this hot, we don't usually cook.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make "meat" tomorrow night. Meat is sort of a sloppy joe/taco hamburger thing. Daughter loves it, son likes it, so we'll have the option of putting it on english muffins or tortilla chips and then whatever else to go along with it. I have canned peaches and some canned salsa, and fresh salad.

I have a couple of those already cooked chickens from the store in my freezer and I think I will make chicken salad with one of them.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I was gone to the city all day with a friend and had a big lunch at a Thai restaurant so was too full for dinner but did fix DH his favorite pasta -- OBG (olive oil, butter and garlic) and I brought home a fresh baguette to go along with! He was happy and I did have a slice of baguette with butter!

Martha

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
harvested some of my Meyer lemons and mint

Thought I would see you made a Mojito with that mint you mentioned! Smile My how I love those, especially in the summer. I think I'm going to grow the mint so I don't have to buy it in the grocery store. Why is it so expensive when it's so easy to grow? Frown

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:
quote:
harvested some of my Meyer lemons and mint

Thought I would see you made a Mojito with that mint you mentioned! Smile My how I love those, especially in the summer. I think I'm going to grow the mint so I don't have to buy it in the grocery store. Why is it so expensive when it's so easy to grow? Frown

LOL at the mojito comment. I agree that mint is super easy to grow. I love the smell when I'm watering it. Right now, I have English mint and chocolate mint, both great for summer drinks, salads and desserts.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I offered husband roast chicken with rice and buttermilk gravy, lasagna, or spaghetti with meat sauce. He chose lasagna. Suits me!

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Grilled kielbasa sausage w/ sauteed baby yellow potatoes and onions.

Chopped apple, raisin, walnut and celery salad; it's like Waldorf salad but with a white balsamic vinaigrette instead of mayo.

Vanilla ice cream with fresh macerated strawberries.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Tonight its "yummy honey chicken kabobs" from pinterest, and fresh green beans. I've never made the recipe so we'll see.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey Annon, just loaded up on chicken yesterday and we shoveled the rest of our 15" of snow off the deck, ready for the grill. Those kabobs sound good. Can you post the recipe?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sunday lunch was a roasted chicken with lemon, garlic and tarragon, the gravy to pour over, fresh roasted asparagus with butter and a sprinkle of sea salt and a wilted lettuce salad. Our First "Farmer's Market" meal of 2013!

Martha

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Happy to share!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast

halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
skewers

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.

***I made some changes. I didn't marinate the chicken, but I used chicken breasts and legs and dunked them in the marinade, put them on a cookie sheet ( with sides) covered in foil and baked them. When they were almost done, I turned the pieces over and rubbed them around in the sauce left on the cookie sheet. This made them very pretty and tasty. I also eliminated the onions and red peppers since I wasn't skewering them.

I've made a similar recipe that had pineapple juice, soy sauce, etc, and after they marinated the recommended time we found the taste was much too strong.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I only made kabobs once with sirloin steak, and the meat was a little tough and the veggies weren't cooked. It was not one of my best grilling experiences. I will try these with chicken. Maybe the key is to make separate skewers of meat and veggies.

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
*** note****

The cookie sheets were covered in foil, NOT the chicken. Sorry.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Gotcha! Smile

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had grilled chicken breasts, steamed butternut squash and a salad for dinner tonight. DH had strawberries for dessert.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broiled teriyaki pork chops, baked Idaho russets with the fixings (butter, sour cream and bacon bits) and some sliced peaches ~ unfortunately, they were canned but still good (no sugar) but can't wait for real peaches mid-summer! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Haven't been cooking as I have been on vacation, but it is so hot around here right now, I am having a hankering for a taco salad, so that will be coming up soon.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Another herbal Farmer's Market meal. Leftover Sunday chicken made into a Shepherd's Pie (made herbal because I used my herbal flour to thicken the sauce for the pie), Swiss chard sauteed with bacon and finished with a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar . . . and strawberry mint ice cream for dessert (served along with a slice of angel cake from one of the Farmer's Market vendors -- cost of the cake -- $4!)

I love Farmers Market time! We eat well!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Roast chicken
Rice
Buttermilk gravy
Steamed vegetables (frozen Green Giant with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
Chocolate pudding cake

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Red chicken Thai curry, rice and strawberry mint ice cream for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Scrumptious turkey burgers, steamed sugar snap peas and salad. I think I finally got the hang of the turkey so they don't wind up like hockey pucks!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Grilled chicken thighs with corn on the cob, roasted tomato halves drizzled with a reduction of balsamic vinegar... soon we'll be growing feathers!!!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was ground sirloin hamburgers on toasted buns with onion, homemade pickle and mayonnaise, homemade French fries and meringue chantilly with roasted berries and cassis whipped cream. (the egg whites were left over from making ice cream with yolks only!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
Tonight I made Ina Garten's Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, I added sauteed mushrooms and leftover shredded chicken. Roasting the tomato halves gave this a wonderful dimension of heartiness. If I were going to make this again, and I will, I will roast more tomatoes than the recipe calls for, and blend it rather than pass it through a food mill.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made little homemade pizzas using english muffins, pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I thought they were delicious but the kids didn't like them. I saw Paula Dean do something like this awhile back. Had fresh cnatelope, strawberries, and bananas.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
Made little homemade pizzas using english muffins, pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I thought they were delicious but the kids didn't like them. I saw Paula Dean do something like this awhile back. Had fresh cnatelope, strawberries, and bananas.

My Mom made these during lent when we were kids, minus the pepperoni, we loved them!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I made a pasta dish with onions, sliced mushrooms, garlic and marscapone with bow tie pasta and a wilted lettuce salad. The last of the strawberry mint ice cream for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Beef tenderloin shish kabobs with onion, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes; rice pilaf.
We eat out waaayyy too much.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
An easy dinner -- sloppy joes, rosemary oven fries and oil and vinegar coleslaw

Martha

posted Hide Post
I do not fry much any more...but tonight I did!

Fried pork chops
Steamed asparagus
Fruit salad for dessert

I know - not much. I wanted to add mashed potatoes and gravy but DH told me before I started supper that he wasn't very hungry.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I do love fried pork chops! We had steelhead trout, asparagus risoto and roasted cherry tomatoes.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Creamed dried beef on toast. One of my childhood favorites. I use a nice dried beef the local niche dairy offers from their beef carcass butcherings.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a goat cheese and olive appetizer with freshly baked flatbreads, Housin chicken, white and wild rice and steamed broccoli. No dessert -- appetizer instead!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Tacos for the weekend! Ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, black olives, fresh onions, sour cream and salsa ~ it will be "make your own" before the green flag drops at Charlotte, NC for the All-Star Nascar Race under the lights! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
An afternoon of yardwork with DH so we grilled burgers and finished up potato salad, relish tray, Mesquite Bush's beans for the 1st time, root beer floats.

posted Hide Post
I bought a crock pot that was large enough to fit in a chicken so I did that earlier today. Onions on the bottom, chicken with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, lemom juice, and garlic, then topped it with a can of cream of chicken soup mixed with a little honey mustard and a dash of red wine.

It wasn't bad at all--the chicken tasted like chicken--and the "juice" wasn't bad, as dh commented. But for the time, effort, and expense, it's still less expensive to buy one of those ready made chickens from the store.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We had a high tea for lunch today - cheese souffle, bacon, English muffins with a lovely apricot jam and of course tea.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Roasted a chicken in the oven in a roasting pan with small Yukon gold potatoes roasted alongside - seasoned with S/P, garlic, soy sauce and lemon juice.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I fixed an asian orange chicken with rice. Used my ginger sherry and orange marmalade in the sauce.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sunday Lunch was the pork loin with the apple rosemary jelly glaze, broiled whole new carrots and roasted purple asparagus. I made a sauce for the loin out of creme fraiche and a spoonful of jelly, salt and pepper. It was really good. THEN, I put the rest of the loin in the crockpot with chicken stock and bbq sauce and the remainder of the bottle of Hoison sauce and cooked it slowly all afternoon -- supper was a pulled pork sandwich!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Leftover roast chicken, potatoes, and mixed veggies with beans and broccoli.

Seaborne

Posts: 975 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We spent the weekend with stepD and her family. Sunday I was in the kitchen with her prepping food for her birthday party that evening.

Her mother arrived and we stood at the kitchen counter/sink preparing several items. One wasn't coming together very good. I told wife-out-law that it was her fault, she was dipping the chicken legs in the milk and she should've used an egg wash or buttermilk. She said she was going to blame me because I wouldn't get in trouble. StepD, who is at the stove directly behind us says, "I can hear you!" LOL Of course that is exactly what we intended - otherwise it would not have been fun. Big Grin

Oven Baked Chicken rolled in lime-pepper crushed potato chips! This was delicious even if the all the crushed chips did not stick. (Have you looked at the different varieties of potato chips available now?! WOWSER!!!) (I also taught chef stepD how to crush potato chips. She had a zipper plastic bag beside the bag of chips. I just opened one end of the bag about an inch and mashed the air out. Then crushed the chips with the rolling pin she handed me. Saved a plastic bag. Big Grin I taught a chef something!!)

We also assembled a Hearts of Palm Salad. OH MY GOODNESS! I copied this down from Food & Wine magazine and brought it home. Found it this morning online.
http://www.foodandwine.com/rec...lm-and-avocado-salad

(THANK YOU GRACIE!)

We bumped the ingredients up a bit to make a larger salad. Used little red grape tomatoes so we didn't have to slice. You can add so many things to this! Artichoke hearts, slivers of red or yellow bell pepper, FETA!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
Happy to help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I had a strawberry spinach salad with homemade poppyseed dressing; KC strip steak and Farmer's market asparagus.

KYIS -- that salad sounds amazing . . . and I didn't think about using flavor ones -- how clever!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Tonight was a pan seared Steelhead Trout with a mango salsa, and a broccoli cole slaw.