Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  need lemon something!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need lemon something!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sandy O !
posted
At least I think I do. I am in charge of finger desserts for 75 people at an evening reception on a boat. This affair will be in mid-August and probably be hot and steamy here in Michigan. I thought pecan tassies, brownies made in mini muffin tins and a lemon something...but I want it to be easy to handle and not messy (I want a lot don't I!) Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. These desserts will be in addition to the celebration cake.

Posts: 1259 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Limoncello shots or lemon Jell-O shots?
I hear you about the sticky mess!
Lemon tassies might be a possibility.

Here are some recipes from my Tassie publication:

Citrus Drops
Makes 96 tassie size or 48 gem size cakes
These Citrus Drops please children as well as adults, and can be absolutely addicting. Serve them at your next group function and watch them disappear.

18 ¼ ounce box lemon cake mix*
1 – 3.4 ounce package lemon instant pudding mix*
4 eggs
½ cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 pound / 3 1/3 cups powdered sugar
6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed*
3 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 325°.
Spray two 24-cup mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray. Place cake mix, instant pudding mix, eggs, water and sour cream in the bowl of heavy duty stand mixer or large bowl. Beat with the stand mixer or an electric hand mixer on medium, until well blended and smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake 10 – 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and place on cooling racks. Continue baking batches until all batter is used.
While the muffins bake, combine the powdered sugar with the lemonade concentrate and melted butter. Beat until smooth using a electric mixer. As the batches of muffins come out of the oven, dip them in the glaze by inserting a fork in the top of the muffin and dipping the bottom and sides in the glaze. Place on parchment lined baking sheets, top side down, until glaze is set. These can be prepared several days before serving. Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
• If preferred, use orange cake mix, orange cream pudding mix and frozen orange juice concentrate substituted for the lemon flavored items.

Lemon Tassies
Makes 24
Crust:
5 Tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks
1 cup flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 large egg yolk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
3 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Candied Lemon Peel (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly butter one 24-cup mini muffin pan.
Ina food processor combine the flour & butter. Pulse with knife until mixture is finely crumbed. Add sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, lemon zest and salt. Process until evenly incorporated and smooth; do not overprocess.
Divide dough into quarters, and ea into six equal pieces. Shape into balls and place each in muffin cup; press down with tamper to form shell. Bake until lightly browned all over and slightly darker at the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
In an electric mixer beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon zest & juice, and vanilla until completely smooth. Spoon ½ Tbsp filling into each shell.
Bake until filling is set and just begin-ning to color at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Garnish with candied lemon peel.
Store in airtight container, refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Candied Lemon Peel
2 lemons, well scrubbed
Boiling water
1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
½ cup cool water

Remove zest from lemons with a vegetable peeler, keeping pieces long. Remove white pith using a paring knife, and finely julienne using a very sharp knife. Place zest in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes; drain.
Bring sugar and the cool water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When sugar is completely dissolved, add lemon zest, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand overnight. Remove zest and drain on wire rack. Roll in sugar. Dry on wire rack. Store zest in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Lemon & Poppy Seed Tartlets for Purim
Makes 24 tartlets
For Jewish holiday of Purim, this tradition honors Queen Esther, who ate as a vegetarian when she moved into the king’s palace.

Tartlets Shells:
1 cup flour
½ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ Tbsp poppy seeds
½ cup cold butter, cut into bits
1 large egg yolk
2 Tbsp ice water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Filling:
1 ½ cups lemon curd
1 cup chilled heavy cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Poppy Seeds for garnish

In food processor, pulse together flour, powdered sugar, salt and popp seeds. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together yolk, water and lemon juice in a bowl, then add to processor and puse until pea-size lumps form and dough holds together when squeezed.
Press dough evenly into each mini muffin tin with tamper to form shell and lightly ***** bottoms with a fork. Chill 20 minutes.

Bake at 375° until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack and when cool carefully loosen edges with a thin knife and remove from pan.
To assemble tartlets fill each shell with lemon curd.
Beat together cream, powdered sugar and lemon juice with an electric mixer until it just hold stiff peaks. Transfer to star tipped pastry bag and pipe onto curd. Garnish with poppy seeds.

Lemon Curd
Makes 3 cups
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp finely grated
fresh lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp butter, cut into Tbsp size pieces

Whisk together zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and pinch of salt in a 2 qt heavy saucepan. Add butter all at once and cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, unil curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubbles appear on surface, about 10 minutes. Immediately pour curd through a fine sieve into a bowl, then chill, covered. Keeps 1 week.

Lemon Curd-Raspberry Tartlets
Makes 24 gem size tarts
Pastry:
1¼ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup cold butter
2 beaten egg yolks
1 Tbsp ice water

Lemon Curd:
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon finely zested lemon peel
¾ cup water
2 beaten egg yolks
¼ cup lemon juice
2 Tablespoons butter

Garnish:
24 raspberries
Fresh mint sprigs, optional

Prep dough in a food processor. Wrap in Saran and chill for 30 to 60 minutes. Shape into 24 - ¾ inch balls. Tamp into 1¾ inch gem muffin tins to form shells.
Bake in preheated 450° oven 5 – 8 minutes or till edges are light brown. Completely cool shells in pan on rack, then remove from pans.
In a small saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and lemon peel. Stir in water, Cook & stir this thickened and bubbly. Temper mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Cook & stir over medium heat till mixture boils. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the lemon curd into each shell. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Just before serving, place a raspberry & mint sprig on each tart.

Not sure if you want to go to this much work, but another suggestion would be to use Athens mini phyllo shells, fill with lemon curd or thick lemon pudding, garnish with a berry and mint sprig.

I've done all of these, of course the poppy seed ones for Purim are my favorites.
The Citrus Drops I made in orange flavor and turned out great for a cake mix concoction.
Lemon Tassies aren't too messy.

Note about pans: I have a huge collection of mini or small muffin tins. The gem size I refer to here are 1-3/4 inch across the top opening and deeper than minis. I have never seen these for sale recently, but have collected them from Mom's kitchen and flea markets, etc. For me a perfect inbetween size
from mini muffins to cupcake pans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
How would you feel about lemon brownies? I made them once. DH nixed a repeat performance only because his idea of "brownie" demands chocolate. I thought they were nice.

Lemon Brownies

6 oz. white almond bark or white chocolate morsels [I used morsels.]
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Rind from the fresh lemon, about 1 tbs.
Few drops of yellow food color (optional)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 1/2 tbs. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional [I used shaved almonds.]
Glaze or frosting of choice, or powdered sugar for topping

In a double boiler, over lowest heat, carefully melt almond bark or morsels and butter.

Whisk in the lemon juice and rind, and optional food color; whisk in the sugar, eggs, and extracts.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt; add to the egg mixture using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Don't overmix... Just stir till flour incorporates evenly. Add the optional nuts.

Spread into a 9" x 13" pan, well-greased on the bottom only.*

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool completely.

For chocolate glaze, melt about 1/2 cup semi-sweet morsels with a tablespoon of butter. Drizzle on top of baked bars before cutting; spread melted chocolate over the surface.

For a powdered sugar glaze, I don't use a recipe.... These amounts are approximate: A cup of sifted powdered sugar, 1/2-1 teaspoon of powdered, unsweetened lemon drink mix, and water added teaspoon by teaspoon till a drizzling consistency is reached.

*My note: The brownies stuck to the pan using this method. Next time, I'll use the "sling" method, where foil or parchment paper is used to line the pan with an overlap on the two long sides, so that the foil and brownies can be lifted out of the pan after baking. If using foil vs. parchment, I will also grease and flour the foil beneath the batter to ensure they don't stick.

Posts: 4342 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I like Lemon Bars. A google search will provide you with a lot of recipes.

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think the lemon tassies would be nice or you could just make tart shells in mini muffin tins and fill with lemon curd (either store bought or homemade) and a dollop of whipped cream. I would worry about lemon bars getting "soft" in the heat!

Martha

Posts: 5406 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post