Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Don't You Hate To Break Something?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't You Hate To Break Something? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
Sunday as I was getting something out of a cabinet, I snagged the French press, down on the floor it fell and broke the carafe!

Rats!

Amazon.com to the rescue. I got a new carafe yesterday and today DH will have his morning coffee (and I will probably join him, however, I usually drink tea)again!

It is nice to be able to "fix" something rather than toss the holder because the carafe is broken and just buy a new one. And cheaper too!

Martha

Posts: 5843 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hate breaking things too, especially glass which seems to go everywhere when broken on tile. Aside from missing the item, especially if it can't be replaced (you're lucky you found a quick replacement!), I really dislike the clean up. The other day I took a container of home made spaghetti sauce out of the fridge and dropped it... 1 quart of sauce everywhere, cabinets, floor, some even flew into the pantry!

Posts: 951 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I collect coffee mugs from my travels, and recently I broke my Cafe du Monde mug. I COULD order a new one. I'd prefer to travel back to NOLA to get it, just to make sure it's the real deal and not a bootleg imitation.....

http://shop.cafedumonde.com/mp...ailFooter.htm&rno=24

Big Grin

It's only 10 hours one way. I might just do that, too, next time The Husband goes to visit his Grands....

Posts: 4459 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Indexlady -- I think you NEED to travel back to NOLA to get a replacement!!!!

Martha

Posts: 5843 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Talk about glass -- when we had our windows broken by hail in April, I was amazed at how, after I had picked up ALL the glass, that I would find pieces here and there that I missed for a week or so after! It was amazing where it went!

Those having carpet and broken windows were told that they would have to get new carpet -- you could not get the glass out!!!

But this was an easy clean up -- 4 pieces I think!

Martha

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just to share?
After breaking a couple french presses, I now have a Thermos brand Nissan, stainless steel, double walled french press.(actually a couple of them) They not only don't break and travel well but keep the coffee warm for quite a while.

Posts: 9604 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
The most recent such break (a utilitarian thing) was several years ago when the insert of my slow cooker fell from the dish drainer.

Small decorative things break occasionally but the worse such fall was when DH accidently knocked a Chinese bowl off the table it was displayed on. I had bought this at a flea market in Manhattan and I think it was quite good. He is a master re-gluing but of course it will never be the same.

Posts: 12538 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Road trip to NOLA!!!

Anything dropped on a tile floor just shatters and goes everywhere! Last thing I remember dropping was a newly opened jar of home-pickled okra. Glass went everywhere...not to mention vinegar and okra. Frown

Shortly after DH and I married I dropped one of the crock canisters he used for flour and sugar...think it was the flour crock. I went outside where he was and asked if he was emotionally attached to his Marshall Pottery flour crock. Whew! He answered, No.

Posts: 16989 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I have to say it's rare to break something at my house. But thank goodness for Replacements.com in case I do for any of my tableware, etc.
At Christmas I took my Pillivuyt ramekins to our vacation home. I'd packed the vehicle. Unbeknownst to me my son unloaded and repacked it and did a poor job. One ramekin was broken. The family knows they will never do this to me again!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I seem to go in streaks.

I won't have anything break for ages then suddenly its like my fingers are reversed, and I drop stuff all the time. Glass is bad enough but Correlle just sort of explodes when it lands.

I haven't broken anything recently though.. yayy

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I just broke a small jar of olive oil that I had in our RV. Whole jar of oil all over the floor. And half of the floor is carpet.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3512 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Road trip to NOLA!!!

Anything dropped on a tile floor just shatters and goes everywhere! Last thing I remember dropping was a newly opened jar of home-pickled okra. Glass went everywhere...not to mention vinegar and okra. Frown

Shortly after DH and I married I dropped one of the crock canisters he used for flour and sugar...think it was the flour crock. I went outside where he was and asked if he was emotionally attached to his Marshall Pottery flour crock. Whew! He answered, No.

Not everything - Plugged the vacuum in the other day and the cord knocked a favorite mug off the counter and didn't break chip or crack when it hit the tile floor.

I think we should all go to NOLA and get our own Cafe du Monde coffee cups.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3484 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we should all go to NOLA and get our own Cafe du Monde coffee cups.

Big Grin

Posts: 4459 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Bummer on the olive oil!!!!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....I think there is one of those Cafe du Monde mugs in my cupboards somewhere. We've got so many that its hard to keep track. Really need to get rid of some of them. I do know that there's a box of them packed up somewhere because there's not enough room.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6548 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree -- bummer on the olive oil!

Martha