Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Off taste in my chocolate cake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off taste in my chocolate cake Sign In/Join 
posted
This is embarrassing! I made a chocolate cake from scratch today and baked part of it in an 8" square pan greased with butter and the rest in a disposable aluminum pan sprayed with a Pam knock off. Both had a slight "fishy" taste. I googled and found a site that blames canola oil (I used it instead of the vegetable oil called for and there is no telling how old it was) and also blames eggs (chickens fed with fish meal). Has anyone else had this happen?

Posts: 3392 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nope. That is odd!

Martha

Posts: 5793 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am a from scratch baker too and have never had that result. I question whether the eggs contributed to the fishy taste. This sure requires an investigation. Hmmm?

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Well...I did a quick search and found this thread related to your topic. Tho I have and use canola oil (can't remember if I used it while baking tho), I have yet to detect the fishy taste some have experienced. Read on...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/521998

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
A VERY informative article that is a MUST read for all cooks/bakers on cooking oils. Note the 'Under Fire' portion that states when heated regarding canola oil. http://www.cooksillustrated.co...view.asp?docid=23285

Thanks for raising this topic. I have learned a lot about oils.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Did you eat it or throw it out?

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
When I used canola, I couldn't stand the fishy smell and flavor it produced in fried foods. But I didn't stop using it until I discovered it was one of the first genetically modified foods. Don't remember it ever giving cake that flavor, but I guess it could be detected if someone's palate is sensitive enough.
Now I stick to "vegetable" oil.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Because of GMO crops, I use mostly Grape Seed oil or coconut oil in just about any thing or use, especially for baking. Grape seed has no extra flavor, and coconut ads just a light flavor that I find pleasant. Extra Virgin Olive or one of the nut oils like Walnut, Almond for salads.

Threw out all the Canola or corn oils.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tried another piece of the cake and I can't detect any after taste now! Which surprises me since we all know the power of suggestion...But this is a lesson learned. I checked the bottle and there is no expiration date on it (Louana Canola Oil, a local high quality product). I had even googled it before using it for baking. I just won't be using canola oil for anything anymore. Froo, I had to chuckle when I read the first link you posted. I went through all the thoughts the poster did--from was my baking pan clean to was my whole kitchen "contaminated" with the last salmon I baked!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3392 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
This is news to me. However, I did discover that I didn't like my Wesson Oil pie crust if I used canola instead of vegetable. DD said she uses canola for her crusts all the time w/o any issues . . . and she uses my recipe! Go figure!!

Posts: 5958 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I had that happen with baby back ribs once. They were Fishy! Seems that the piggies must have been fed fish meal. Right back to the butcher they went. Eww!

I use this recipe for greasing baking pans. Easy and keeps well in refrigerator.

1/2 Cup Crisco Shortening

1/2 Cup Cooking oil (I use vegetable oil)

1/2 Cup Flour

Mix all together until smooth. Store in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Excellent when a recipe calls for a greased and floured baking pan.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9427 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose, that is an excellent idea! Thank you for sharing it with us. Looking forward to using this soon.

Posts: 5138 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the testimonials proving I'm not NUTS!!! I do have a sensitive palate so it comforts me to know I wasn't imagining things (unless we're all sharing a mass delusion).Smile

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello sms29s66,
Thanks for bringing this topic up. Recently, I had been making a baked potato, onion, garlic dish. I thought it smelled like the fish oil I take. Yuk, I wouldn't eat them. Then last Saturday, I made them again, and again, there was an overwhelming fishy smell throughout the house. YUK. I had sprayed the pans with Pam. This also happened when I sprayed the racks for the smoker. It seems to smell when it gets really hot. Then I read this thread and guess what??? The Pam I use is made of canola oil. I may just go back to using olive oil to coat my pans and racks.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 993 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Coconut oil also works really well for coating pans and even dressing vegetables. I think the flavor is light and pleasant.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
canola oil

I often use canola oil in making chocolate cakes, but never had such problem! One thing that comes to mind is you must have used old oil; or perhaps the wrong leavening agent.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dena, the "damage" is done. No more canola oil for me in anything!!! Got along without it before I met it, gonna get along without it now! Apologies to Skeeter Davis....