Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  November Dinners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
I came on looking for this to give my report, then had a jolt. Martha e-mailed me and asked me to start this while she was gone. I almost forgot. Big Grin

Earlier this week I called the local locker plant (butcher shop) and ordered some beef. I also asked if the pork sausage they ground and made in-house had nitrates in the seasonings. The answer was 'no' so I ordered a couple of pounds. For supper tonight we had breakfast. Wink

Sausage, fried eggs, toasted English muffins. The sausage needs a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and should be perfect. DH and I are both happy.

We are going to babysit the grandsons next Thursday and Friday at their house while DIL is traveling for business and plan to take a pound of sausage with us. They've been feeding the kids chicken sausage...bland tasting and has the texture of rubber. But no nitrates!

Posts: 17085 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Tonight we were guests at a Pacific Rim dinner party. Oh, so many great tasting dishes - for a change I wasn't asked to bring anything (I'd hosted a large Brit lunch yesterday for 24.) Menu included sushi, veg. tempura w/ a great sauce, shrimp & mango bites loaded onto tasting spoons for hors d'oeuvres; Thai coconut chicken soup; bean thread noodles with vegetables, sesame broccoli for salads. Entree was sugar-glazed cod with cuke relish or Viet beef & pork kebabs, veg. curry & rice. Dessert was ANZAC biscuits, pavlovas and ginger Asian pears.

Posts: 2755 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hubby is making us lasagna and garlic bread today Smile

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Our Saturday Special Souffle with sausage and Wassail.

Posts: 2755 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fully intended to make chili mac this evening. Halfway through browning the ground beef I realized that I had no chili powder. I did have cumin though...a bit of oregano and some basil. I don't know what it was but when I stirred it into the homemade mac n cheese it turned out pretty good - DH told me it was.
That and seasoned green beans made for a decent supper.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Chicken breasts with caper cream sauce, buffet potatoes, oven roasted plum tomatoes with feta, and some leftover deviled eggs.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We had a very unhealthy lunch yesterday of chili dogs and fries at a local place so dinner went the other direction. DH made a salad and I made a big pot of Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup. A new recipe I found in Cooking Light. It was yummy! I had some left over WW corn muffins I made Friday night and DH ate a piece of garlic bread.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3529 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried Kathy_in_wlsv's "ghoulash" that was posted in Halloween dinner thread. Family gave it thumbs up. They want it again.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I served a salad bar/baked potato bar Friday night to a group of quilters.
It's always a hit.
I made a Starbuck's "Cranberry Bliss" knockoff recipe for dessert & it it was really good.

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've been away from home for the past week and a half. Part of that time we shared cooking duties, but since Tuesday I've been at a retreat where the hostess did the cooking. And, boy, can she cook!! Let's just say it was amazing. Now, back to home and I guess I'll have to start cooking again. Bummer.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had pizza after church. I had salad and one slice of pizza. DH had salad, four slices of pizza, and then dessert pizza.

Around 5 p.m. I ate a yogurt. About 5:30 DH ate some crackers. About 6:30 I got another yogurt...so did he. That was supper.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
My homemade eggplant parm and a baby kale salad w/vinaigrette.

Posts: 5296 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Chili with peanut butter sandwiches again.
Always good the second or third time, too.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Last night I made a beef stir fry from the WW cooking for two cook book. It was actually enough for 3.

I was in a panic last week when I couldn't find it. One of my favorite recipes from it is a baked hush puppy and I could not find a similar recipe on line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3529 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
NY Strips, potato, orange glazed baby carrots.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Hub has learned how to make an incredible veggie burger for me. Let's say our new dish...Hot/Cold! I used to get the Boca burgers....past tense after these.

Yesterday, I prepared His and Her's chili. His had beef, mine was vegetarian. I asked which he preferred....lol.....Mine. Cooking may have just gotten easier.

Posts: 5186 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Dinner party tonight with a group of friends who all serve as board members together. Everyone brought something to share from a previously decided menu:
Minestrone, ham balls, buffet potatoes, home frozen corn, green beans, grape salad, fruit pizza, brownies with ice cream for dessert.

The grape salad was new to me and ohh so good!
Variety colored grapes glazed in cream cheese-sour cream mixture, sprinkled with brown sugar and finely chopped walnuts, served in tall petite sorbet glasses.

posted Hide Post
We are babysitting the grandsons in their home and I for one am thoroughly enjoying it. Their DM, poor dear, is in Naples Italy for a job seminar. Her sister stayed for four days. DH and I also have four days. We do take them to day care which allowed me to back oatmeal cookies, which we had for dessert tonight.

DH grilled a chicken. I made rice and gravy. The kids don't eat mashed potatoes(!!! I'm shocked too) and their aunt, not knowing, made some. I took half of the leftovers, added an egg, some flour and milk - and made "potato pancakes." The littlest liked them. The nearly 3-year old is not eating much of anything...well...except for cookies and milk. Wink His daddy let him. We also had salad.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Leftovers from a favorite diner the other night - meatloaf & garlic mashed potatoes for hubby and turkey wrap with aioli sauce & candied pecans, carrot cake for me.
And a midnight snack - a slice of pizza leftover from our favorite pizzeria.

posted Hide Post
Made this chicken for the first time last night:
•4 chicken breasts (I use boneless skinless)
•1 can evaporated milk
•1 cup flour
•1 1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•1/4 cup butter
•1 can Cream of Chicken soup
•1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 425

First, pour a little of the evaporated milk in a small dish...just enough to dip your chicken in. After you dip each piece of chicken in the milk, roll it in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Melt butter in 13x9 pan and cook the chicken in the melted butter for 30 minutes at 425.
Mix water, can of soup, and what's left in your can of evaporated milk together. Turn chicken over after 30 minutes of baking and pour soup mixture on top. Bake for 30 more minutes until nice and golden brown.

It only took 40 minutes for my chicken to cook through. It was really good but next time I'll add some spices. Food has tasted off lately, we've all been sick here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

posted Hide Post
I bought some pork sausage at the local meat market. They do their own grinding and seasoning. The seasoning mix does not have nitrates or MSG. DH and I liked it so I took a pound along when we stayed with the DGSs since their parents -at home- pay attention to organic/nitrates/etc.

It's good stuff!

posted Hide Post
DH cooked beef stew Tuesday! He started it in the slow cooker. Then sometime after lunch the electricity went off. After 30 minutes it dumped it into the Dutch oven and set it on a back burner on the lowest flame. Then LOL the electricity came back on.

It was/is delicious! We had it two nights in a row!!

posted Hide Post
Last night:
Chicken a la King
Steamed vegetables

For dessert:
I found the last loaf of fruitcake from last year in the freezer! Big Grin I thawed it, got it liquored up on rum, and it is still sooooo good!

posted Hide Post
Sherry, the sausage and the stew both look good!!! Still not feeling real good so, I just made some frozen mesquite chicken breast, and canned baked beans. I did make a loaf of bread in my new bread machine today and we also had that.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Lunch for 6 with friends, she fixed a delicious chicken tortellini soup with cream cheese in it, Asiago foccacia bread, warm pumpkin crumble dessert with ice cream and I took an Oriental slaw. Deli broasted chicken for supper.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sherry -- we're back. Got home last night.

Sigh, no more pastries and coffee on a balcony watching the town of Sorento come awake, no more pastries and coffee on the ship's balcony watching the ocean!

But I did go out and buy pastries (and flowers) this morning -- we had them with coffee (tea for me) and watched our needy garden!

Opera in KC which is always preceded by a big Sunday Lunch so dinner was minnestroni and popcorn while we watched the Chiefs/Broncos game.

I think I should spend the next month on bread and water rations after all the food the last month!

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Martha. I know it is so easy to get spoiled especially on a ship. Can't beat coffee on the balcony or a late night drink outside. Sigh! We were on a 5 nighter last week and I know how you must feel.

Dinner last night was meatloaf and gravy. I haven't made one in ages. I used refrigerated mashed potatoes, doctored them up with some garlic and sour cream, cheddar cheese and baked them, roasted broccoli and carrots heated rolls and dinner.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Martha!!

We had BBQ for grandson's birthday lunch yesterday. Everyone visited inside and out. Late in the day I lost DH...found him parked in front of the television all by his lonesome watching the last NASCAR race of the season. About the time I thought we would be leaving, stepson checked on the smoked venison sausages that an in-law brought him...summer sausage, brats, and breakfast sausage...they had thawed so he lit the grill. While it was heating, we devoured the stalk of summer sausage! The we hit the brats and breakfast sausage. After we got home, I had a container of yogurt...

posted Hide Post
We had turkey meatloaf, green beans and baked potatoes last night. Cherry crisp for dessert. Yummy, all of it.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sigh -- no bread and water today. It's DH's birthday and we're having people over -- for chili and cake! A casual dinner but he'll have cards and cake and he adores chili!

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Stuffed baked potatoes and Oriental slaw.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Griled wild caught King Salmon on Friday - made Chili on Sunday and finished it up today - with corn bread.

Seaborne

Posts: 1137 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Martha! Have enjoyed your food posts!

Tonight, made Unstuffed Shells Casserole. Halved the amount of pasta, doubled the meat. Turned out decent.

It's made to put into 2 8x8 tossable aluminum pans. Bake one now, freeze one for later. OR freeze both for later.

Not sure how that will work out, but it's to be thawed in refer, then baked just like it was fresh.

Posts: 4489 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
When you make a vat of chili . . . we're having leftovers for dinner. But there IS lemon meringue pie to go with it -- I had company for lunch and there are two pieces left!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Homemade lasagna. YUM!!

I made some for a friends of the library catering event. So I made a double batch. The one big pan for the catering and three small pans for us. I froze two pans and cooked one for supper. I dished up both plates and DH looked at his. I told him he could get refills. LOL But by the time he got through witth his meal, he did not want more.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Busy day today. Beef tips in a gravy with vegetables served over frozen noodles. Leftover ice cream for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Taught an elegant dessert cooking class tonight -- made white chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache cake and cranberry trifle. Dinner when I got home -- chili dogs!

Martha

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Tonight, we're having a buttery chicken, greens, rice, Indian spiced butternut squash. The other day, I tried this new squash recipe on three different people. I was told it was delicious. I was also told by one individual that he has NEVER liked butternut squash but this....he liked.

Today's the day to have something other than Thanksgiving dinner.

Posts: 5186 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfast for supper tonight (eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast) Even though bacon taste best (to me at least) fried in strips, I just chop it all into about 1/2" pieces and fry it all at once. Takes no time to do it that way.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have some left over kielbasa and greens soup left over and will have that with corn muffins.

Last night we had carry out from our favorite bbq place. Enough left over for lunch one day.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Must be the night for kielbasa! We had that, lima beans, and fresh spinach sautéed with garlic until it was just wilted. I REALLY like the spinach...DH just tolerates it once every 2-3 months or so.

posted Hide Post
Trish - maybe you need to post that butternut squash recipe!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It is cold today here so I fixed a big pot of ham and beans (which is what we call bean soup). I used chicken stock for the base and it was so much better.

Martha

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Its cool and very breezy outside, but I'm making chicken tortilla soup. Its quick enough and that's what I'm looking for tonight. We can have either leftover cornbread or tortilla chips with it, and sprinkled with cheese.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
FFG--that's one of my favorites and one I don't fix often enough! Thanks for reminding me.

We had leftovers -- bean soup and cornbread.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Pork tenderloin - jelly-rolled, seasoned, a good squirt of basil paste and some shredded cheese inside, smeared with peppercorn dressing and rolled in seasoned bread crumbs. Baked.

Sweet potatoes - just baked and buttered.
Purple hull peas from the freezer - already cooked, just reheated.
Dressing - We did not have dressing for Thanksgiving and when I pulled the pea container out I found a pint container of dressing. Big Grin All I had to do was pick the boiled eggs out - frozen egg whites have a tendency to bounce like rubber.

Nothing green - I noticed. But it was GOOD!

posted Hide Post
Last night was home made turkey noodle soup. Tonight it was pizza with 2 of the grandsons.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Salmon, parslied potatoes and creamed peas. About as far from turkey as you can get!

Martha