Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Muffins vs. Cupcakes - Use of paper liners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muffins vs. Cupcakes - Use of paper liners Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
I've never baked a lot of muffins, cupcakes only occasionally.
Muffin recipes never call for the use of paper cases like those for cupcakes. Why is that?
I'm asking because I just finished a batch of muffins that had to be pried loose from the pans. Doesn't do much for the finished appearance.
grrrrrrr Mad

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used the paper liners for both though I don't make many cupcakes.

Interesting question.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always used the paper liners for both though I don't make many cupcakes.

Ditto

Posts: 12140 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you butter and flour your muffin tin before adding the batter?

Posts: 1723 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I always use lines, just cause I hate washing the pan. Makes cleanning so much easier. I did know liners weren't called forin one or the other.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always use liners as well -- even for mini muffins/cupcakes. It's a lot easier to clean up!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I do use liners for cupcakes, but never for muffins. I grease muffin tins, the new Pam Baking spray works beautifully, even for tiny embossed muffin plaques!

Why the difference to use liners or not? Because I like the crunchy texture a muffin is supposed to have on its edges. Another reason is that too much of the muffin clings to the paper when you peel it away.

Cupcake texture is different and they would dry out without the paper liners before all are served.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Yes, Gracie... I did grease and flour the cups. The recipe called for Pam with flour combo spray. Didn't think my DIY shortening/flour coating would be so different as to make or break the result.

I seem to remember from childhood, my mom using papers for muffins and that they didn't easily peel off, wasting some muffin. But at least it was guaranteed to come out of the pan in one piece.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I've never used liners for my muffin recipe. I use Crisco to grease the pans, no flour. They come out perfectly every time.

Posts: 5881 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I rarely make cupcakes but make corn muffins almost weekly and never use liners. I also use heavy duty muffin tins that I just spray with whatever oil I have in the pantry. Works every time. Sometimes I have one that wants to stick but it is usually because the top has spread across the top of the muffin tin.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I have never used liners for muffins. Nettiejay, since you greased the tins the problem could have been that you didn't let the muffins sit in the muffin tin for a few minutes after you removed them from the hot oven. They are much easier to remove if you do.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Another trick to remove muffins from the tin is to tap the bottom of the tin a couple of times. I'm used to handling hot kitchen items so you might want to you use something, (such as a spoon), and give a the bottom of the tin a couple of good raps. If the muffins aren't frosted or have a topping you can lay a dry kitchen towel on top the muffins and gently flip over. I never have the tin that far above the counter when I do that so the muffins aren't damaged.

If that doesn't work then next time lay the kitchen towel on top of the muffins and invert the pan while the muffins cool. I always use cooling racks so I haven't tried this particular trick.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use them for both muffins and cupcakes.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Yes, for cupcakes. No - never - for muffins - and they always come out. Just use a steak knife with a thin blade and loosen top and edges before inverting. (I slightly ease them out and have them on edge before taking out all the way on to racks for final cooling.

Seaborne

Posts: 976 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post