Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Substitute Sign In/Join 
posted
Was going to make a casserole tonight but am out of tomato sauce it calls for. The recipe already uses tomato soup and cream of mushroom soup.

I figure my choices are (other than not making it) another can of tomato soup or diced tomatoes, boiled to reduce with a little cornstarch to thicken. Or is there a better idea? What would you do?

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
What's in the rest of the casserole? For casseroles, I sub all the time -- tomato soup, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes -- a tomato is tomato.

But it would help to know what the rest of the casserole is like for I'm not sure I would reduce the diced tomatoes and thicken with cornstarch.

But that's me!

I would use the diced tomatoes or another can of tomato soup. The diced ones drained really well.

Martha

Posts: 6204 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The casserole is hamburger and sausage, a ton of vegetables ( carrots, onions and whatever else is in the frig) the soups, tomato sauce, chili powder, cinnamon, cloves and a lot of pasta. It is not a runny dish which is why I did not think of using the diced tomatoes just out of the can. But maybe it would not make much difference.

The reason I am making it now is to use up some pasta that I had to make for the dogs bland diet yesterday when he wasn't well and I made way too much. Thought of this while I was in the grocery store and remembered almost all the recipe.Smile. It is mostly stuff I have on hand anyway. Except.....

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yeah, definitely the diced tomatoes drained really well would work. I would put them on to drain while I browned the sausage and hamburger.

Martha

Posts: 6204 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I'm always looking for a tried-and-true easy recipe, so would you like to share the recipe?

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
If you have a regular jarred marinara sauce that might work. Is the concern more of a flavor or a liquid issue? If it is flavor I would use the tomatoes. If it is liquid, then maybe a little extra chicken or veg broth would do.

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA Lori, of course I will share. Found the recipe in a magazine at the doctors office years ago. It makes a LOT. I freeze 4 or more dinners after we eat plus a few lunches. It reheats nicely in the micro.

- 1 lb hamburger & 1 lb sausage (I use a spiced type from our local grocery), browned and drained.
- 6 cups chopped vegetables (carrots, onions & whatever), Add and sauté till just tender.
- 1 can each tomato and cream of mushroom soup, Undiluted.
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp each cinnamon and cloves
Salt, Stir in and heat through till flavors mix.
- 12 oz. pasta, thin type broken into 1" pieces (I use fettuccine), cooked and drained. Add and heat thoroughly.

Thanks everyone. I will use the diced tomatoes, drained, instead of the tomato sauce.

posted Hide Post
Ketchup has a high sugar content if that helps

Posts: 810 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Thanks metwo, does it have a name?

Posts: 6061 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I recall. I was likely writing on the back of a receipt and didn't have space to write it down. Smile

I ended up using a diluted, spiced tomato paste. Since the grocery store is 30 miles away we buy milk and bread at the local gas station and I was surprised they also has the tomato paste.