Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  December Dinners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I always hate it when part of Thanksgiving weekend is in November and part in December -- it means December sort of sneaks up on you!

So what are your fixing for dinner this December?

Martha

Posts: 5412 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, hard to believe it is December already.

Tonight it will be spaghetti, salad and French or Italian bread. Forgot to check to see what bread that dh bought.

Hope there is enough sauce left to freeze for a later meal during this busy time of year. When possible, going to cook once and eat twice.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6175 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had "Thanksgiving" today. Even though we are guests at Thanksgiving dinner, we like our own Thanksgiving -- turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, roasted acorn squash and pumpkin pie. There are leftovers -- so most of dinners this week will be turkey based!

Martha

Posts: 5412 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take out pizza since we started our kitchen demo today Smile

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
We also went out for Thanksgiving dinner - so I roasted a while turkey breast on Friday - and we're still eating on that - and by the way, though I love making my own cranberry sauce "from scratch" when I have the family over - but instead, I just got a couple of cans of Ocean Spray canned whole berry cranberry sauce. It was delicious - and easy - and it was "on sale."

Seaborne

Posts: 981 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight I'm making creamy turkey rice soup with PB & jelly sandwiches.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We had lunch today at our local Chinese restaurant and took home leftover crispy sesame chicken. I will stir it with thinly sliced carrots, celery, scallions, fresh green beans and red bell pepper.

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:

Wow that was brave considering what a busy time of year this is. We started ours in Oct. and still not quite finished yet, just a few more tweaks to go. Good luck to you!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Late lunch (a slice of quiche after everyone had left this afternoon) so late dinner as well -- since I have a meeting from 7 to 8, will just have a turkey sandwich (with mayo and the last of the cranberry sauce)after I get home. DH is getting leftover turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes.

Marrtha

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
DH informed me he didn't want much for supper. I asked...he had Mexican food for lunch. I had a yogurt and a handful of almonds since I ran errands during my lunch break. Sigh...wish he'd get on the same "page" with me. Light lunch...decent supper.

I'll spread leftovers and he can pick what he wants.

Edited to update: I spread out the pork tenderloin, dressing, sweet potatoes, and purple hull peas. DH stood in the kitchen and looked...his eyes traveled over to the counter beside the stove...and he said, "I'll eat that last waffle." eyeroll That's all he had...one toasted homemade waffle, butter, syrup, and a glass of milk. (He will not help me with the weekly menu and grocery list...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:

Wow that was brave considering what a busy time of year this is. We started ours in Oct. and still not quite finished yet, just a few more tweaks to go. Good luck to you!

After we removed the countertop and I looked at all the mess, I told DH that maybe this wasn't the best time, lol

Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
broccoli and cheese soup. and dessert was the last of homemade cinnamon rolls my DIL made for Thanksgiving.

Posts: 655 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We've been to our vacation home on West Coast and enjoyed preparing some new recipes I took along - they turned out to be so easy, I should have been using them all along.

Chicken quiche in lemon pastry crust

Apricot Chicken Breasts with almonds

my choice for chili recipe - not the same old family one

I took a different Zuppa Toscana recipe & it was pretty good

Made the salmon cakes from ATK again so everyone could taste, served as our 1st course for T-day dinner.

The family was extremely diappointed I didn't do their favorite wild rice soup. Do you posters along the Pacific coast have wild rice available anywhere? I had absolutely no luck finding any. It was in all types of blends but none just pure wild rice. I'd decided not to pack my usual cooking basket this trip, and I thoroughly enjoyed not having that stress ahead of time.

Of course the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but my goodness the difference in brands, packaging and what's offered at the grocery markets was baffling!

Missed my niche corn-fed dairy non-homogenized milk the most! I forgot how horrible grass fed herds milk really is.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was my birthday, and DH took me out for dinner with friends. We had champagne and cake and in between a wonderful dinner - enough brought home for lunch today!

Yum!

Martha

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had FUN!

Posts: 5056 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm off work today. I took my last vacation day to go help with the granddaughter while her parents both worked and participated in their town's holiday lighting on the courthouse square. Well...the ice moved in there. We got rain but the temp did not drop below 34. I already had my sub called in so left things as they were.

We had spaghetti with meat sauce and a spring green salad with Italian dressing. I cannot believe that I forgot to make bread! I generally make my own marinara sauce (none in the freezer right now), but still keep Ragu on hand. I was browning the meat with onion and garlic and opened the pantry for the Ragu. NONE. Not one single jar. I looked over at the stove and looked back in the pantry. I spotted a quart jar of Italian tomatoes that my niece canned. I got it and a can of tomato paste. It worked. DH commented on how good it was. Big Grin Whew! He's getting so picky about his eating that I'm about ready to trade him in. NOT!!! I'm not even going to try to "train" another. Wink

I also made a chocolate cream pie for a catering event the friends of the library has tonight for another civic group. I use DMs recipe and thought about her the whole time...and thanked her for teaching me how to cook good food!

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We're having veggie beef soup tonight. There'll be a ton of it left, so I guess I need to go peddling some of it to the friends! DH isn't fond of soup after its been frozen and, truthfully, since it has potatoes in it, he does have a point.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6224 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DH has a 78th birthday on Monday. We celebrated with steaks a Texas Roadhouse today. I need to whip up some apricot fried pies after church tomorrow.

He is feeling caged in because of our weather. It was clear but freezing today. Me? Give me a cup of hot cocoa and a good book and I'm okay!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The last of the turkey made into individual pot pies! My second favorite thing to do with Thanksgiving turkey (Thanksgiving night sandwiches being the first!)

Rum cream pie for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Creamy Potato Soup with ham, foccacia bread and pickles.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Martha! You don't look a day over 30! Smile

DH, DD, and I are going to try that $14.99 steak & lobster dinner at Sizzler's tonight. Our Sizzler has been under new ownership for over a year now and I said I would never go back. LOL

Posts: 5887 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lori --

I understand! Hopefully, it's good. We had Sizzler's in our area -- but they seem to be all gone!

Made ham and beans for 100 for church lunch today after the Hanging of the Greens ceremony -- parishioners brought cornbread and desserts (oh, and I did bring a butterscotch meringue pie as well)

So dinner was easy -- a HUGE baked potato that we shared and leftover BBQ ribs from Thur night and the kale and brussells sprouts slaw.

Martha

posted Hide Post
After church and pizza, I had DH stop at the grocery store. He did not ask for what but he did stop. After we got home, I put some dried apricots on to cook for fried pies. When they started smelling Wink I heard DH's office chair move quick! I met DH at the stove. He just grinned. After they cooked and cooled, I made peanut butter cookies. Then started on the dough for the pies. The dough recipe made 7 "hand" pies - I baked them instead of frying.

Then...I made cheesy potato broccoli soup.

posted Hide Post
You guys are way more ambitious than me. We had leftover soup today, but I wanted to say that all this talk about pot pies prompted me to make one with the last of the roast turkey a few nights ago. It turned out great. Don't know why I don't do that more often.

Posts: 6224 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
FFG -- I ADORE pot pies! And make them every chance I get!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It's cold here but we did go out to a Dallas Brass concert after dinner -- so we had Plaza III steak soup and warm from the oven beer bread. Clementines from the fruit bowl on the sideboard was dessert!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lurah - wild rice is native to Minnesota - not out here in the West. The best places to find it is probably at Whole Foods, or the PCC, or maybe even Trader Joe's. But I think that even QFC may carry it - or Bob's products - which are individually packaged specialty food items.

Seaborne

Posts: 981 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Fred Meyer may have it in their bulk food section. (Oregon and WA State - but I don't know about CA.)

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Seaborne - I checked at about 5 stores and shops all over out there without luck.
I know it's native to Minnesota, but was surprised it's not widely sold outside the Midwest.
It's amazing how happy we each are with our local stores offerings. I sure am glad I don't have to shop Safeway, Fred Meyer and a few choice other stores on a regular basis. Let's just say I was not overly impressed! And my Goodness the prices!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
My night to dine alone so I fixed a Waldorf Salad and had cinnamon toast.

posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was Baked Ham, Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli Casserole and Corn.

Posts: 77 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wild rice can always be purchased online.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...ps%2Ck%3Awild%20rice

Last night we had roasted chicken thighs and oriental vegetables. I don't do many quick fix things, but the frozen Birdseye steamed vegetables were on sale awhile back. I bought four bags. They are ...okay... but not great.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, garlic bread and Christmas cookies for dessert.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lurah: Well, I shop Safeway and Fred Meyer on a regular basis all the time - and I also shop QFC. But I don't cook exotic meals - and simply wouldn't think of cooking wild rice "alone." It's way too expensive anyway. But I do buy rice mixes that have wild rice as one of the ingredients. West Coast prices are commensurate with the income level out here - certainly, above average. We've just passed a minimum wage initiative for airport workers which raises the $9.19 state-wide minimum wage to $15.00 for airport workers - and probably, we'll be having a state-wide initiative soon. We also have high state sales tax - but no state income tax. But we value our high quality of life out here - and we are among the most "literate" of the states - usually tying with Massachusetts for that honor. And we believe in paying union wages so that every working person can make a "living" wage.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Veal piccata, Seeds of change rice, and fresh green beans sautéed. Christmas cookies for dessert!

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaborne:
Lurah: Well, I shop Safeway and Fred Meyer on a regular basis all the time - and I also shop QFC. But I don't cook exotic meals - and simply wouldn't think of cooking wild rice "alone." It's way too expensive anyway. But I do buy rice mixes that have wild rice as one of the ingredients. West Coast prices are commensurate with the income level out here - certainly, above average. We've just passed a minimum wage initiative for airport workers which raises the $9.19 state-wide minimum wage to $15.00 for airport workers - and probably, we'll be having a state-wide initiative soon. We also have high state sales tax - but no state income tax. But we value our high quality of life out here - and we are among the most "literate" of the states - usually tying with Massachusetts for that honor. And we believe in paying union wages so that every working person can make a "living" wage.

I only needed wild rice, not a blended one.
Was I suppose to try to pick 2/3 of a cup of wild rice from 3 - $10. bags of a blend? I wanted to make a family favorite Byerly's Wild Rice Soup.

I don't think I've ever seen so many homeless folks in my life as I do in cities of Washington state and Oregon. I've been approached at my closed car window at stop lights for handouts. Are you also proud of this?

I know what above average living and wages are and my community doesn't suffer from way overpriced groceries, but then we are considered the bread basket of the US.

IMHO too many items at Safeway were touted as "organic." Well, I don't BUY that line of BS. Once you understand how the food chain truly works, there is no need to think anything can be 100% organic.

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Last night we had Swedish meatballs and baked sweet potatoes, raw veggie bites and lemon curd & raspberry tartlets.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Not getting into a fight here - sorry to offend you. I won't cast aspersions on your home town - if you don't on mine. I was born in Seattle - of a blue collar family - and we shopped at Safeway from the time I was a child - and I still do now. I've lived in the East - and in the Mountain region of the West - my son lived in Florida and I've traveled 14,000 miles all around this country. Each region is proud of its own.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had breakfast for dinner tonight -- sausage patties, fried eggs and fried potatoes and rye toast.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I went to two holiday parties yesterday: had a wonderful smorgasbord for lunch - and a fabulous dinner buffet: wild - caught salmon, shrimp, sausages, cheese, marinated vegetables, fruit, dips, crackers, fig jam, pesto spread & a dessert buffet with usual cookies but to-die-for truffles - and wonderful chocolate martinis.

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Chicken casserole with a Romaine & Mandarin salad and raspberry cheesecake slivers for dessert.

posted Hide Post
Well, I'm going to try my hand at Chinese beef and broccoli tonight. Need to use up the broccoli. Don't have any oyster sauce, so I substituted. I'll let you know after the fact whether it worked or not!

Well, it turned out okay but definitely didn't have that hint of sweetness that the oyster sauce would have provided. Instead of the oyster sauce, I added teriyaki sauce, a drop or two of liquid smoke and some black cherry balsamic vinegar. Got to get the oyster sauce, I think, before repeating it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I made split pea soup, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits and we will have cookies for dessert -- currant gingerbread and coffee while we watch a Christmas movie.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I found bulk wild rice at Fred Meyer for $10.99 / pound today and bought a cup's worth - for a rice casserole I'm making for Xmas Eve.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborne -- I love wild rice -- DD now lives in the land of wild rice! I have a great casserole that calls for it as well.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Martha: This casserole recipe that I found has both wild and long grain white rice - and get this: marinated dried cherries in port - and I just happen to have a bottle of port I've never opened. (Cranberry juice can also be used.) And it has leeks, celery - forget what else - but also almonds tops it. So it sounds festive and "healthy." (Instead of scalloped potatoes.)

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborne -- that does sound good -- could you post the recipe. Sounds really good!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was filets (cooked inside -- too icy out back), baked potatoes with butter and sour cream and roasted Brussels sprouts and Christmas cookies for dessert!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will when I find the recipe and after I get all my kifle packaged up - you'll have it by early tomorrow.

Seaborne

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
This eve we had hors d'oeuvres for supper, something I like to do every once in awhile.
Cheeseball and crackers, relishes, little smokies and tiny bites of Christmas bars ( Peppermint Layer Brownies, Red Velvet Brownies and Cranberry Bliss Bars) for dessert.

Until further notice, I can't use my oven, a cabinet door won't close, something fell behind a base cabinet blind corner swing out susan. I'm in a real pickle here!