Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  OT - Weight Loss Issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT - Weight Loss Issues Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
Weight has been a struggle my entire life. I have been off and on WW since shortly after high school. I know it works - but I am just out of patience!

I am at my heaviest ever! I'm not so grossly overweight but by the charts I'm considered obese. I can get around and don't need assistance (I still ride my bike and walk etc) but I'm not comfortable where I am and I know I cannot do this alone. I'm thinking about the extreme - lap band surgery.

Anyone go the surgical route? How has it worked for you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Charming, have you looked into the pros and cons of the surgery? Also, I believe, you have to have a certain BMI along with a host of other concerns, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, etc. Don't forget, this is a surgery and as in all surgeries it carries its risks.

I know as we get older, especially us women, it is harder to lose weight, our bodies are designed to hold on to fat to produce healthy babies, our hormones at a certain age can play against us. Also, hereditary and genes play an enormous role in how we develop.

I'm not saying lap band is a bad thing, I know people who have done it, and lost a lot of weight. Best thing to do is meet with your Dr. and ask his/her opinion regarding what will be best for you. And, I say get more than one opinion, preferably, three. And in ending, it doesn't matter who did it and what their outcome was, you are a unique individual so this has to be something custom designed for you. Hope that helps a little!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have never had it done ( fortunately no need).... But I have known many who have and they gained the weight back!

My friend's mother had it done , and she had to lose 50 pounds prior to the surgery. I figure that she should have just kept losing that way.

Please do not take this as unkind, but losing weight and keeping it off means a life style change. That means watching everything that goes into your mouth and staying active. You have to tell yourself that there will be no more doughnuts, no more pie, etc. It will be hard at first but after a while it gets easier. Look forward to a piece of your birthday cake, but do not have anyone else's birthday cake. You can do it !!!!

Best of luck .

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Since I hit that "special phase" we face, I've gained a bunch of weight and it is SO hard to lose. But I refuse to have surgery. I've known too many people who did and within two years weighed more than ever and had numerous complications.

Sure wish there was an easy way, but it boils down to calories in vs. calories burned.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer that those scales of weigh & height are too old and need to be redone.They are from the 1940-1950's.Yes we are heavier now,more than the past.BUt also we people are bigger boned and muscle weighs more too.

My Dr. papers even says I'm obese.NO I am not.I am short and overweight but not obese.I am healthy,firm bodied and look good. Smile I am happy with myself and so is DH.BY the old scale system I should weigh 110 at my 5'2".Yes I weighed that in my teens and looked like I starving.I like how I looked best at 150_170lbs.

You are perfect the way you are.Unless you start to have health issues,then take care of that issue and get healthier.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Jackie, I've watched the weight on the charts get lower and lower for what is considered obese for the past few years. My set point is probably about 20 pounds above what is considered high normal for my height and bone structure.

I actually changed physicians this year for 2 reasons one of which was her utter lack of understanding of people with weight issues. I liked her a lot, but she had no clue!

For the record, I probably know more about food and nutrition than the average physician. I've been through more nutrition, health and fitness classes than many health care professionals.

As I posted earlier, I've always been heavy. But I seriously began gaining weight after I quit smoking. Not just the 5 - 10 they say to expect but 20+. Then 10 years ago I broke my leg and shortly after that damaged my knee severely limiting my ability to participate in my usual activities. With that and some depression the pounds piled on. (This is background for those of you who thought it was necessary to give this 60 year old advice on food and weight loss.)

Over the past year I have gotten the weight gain under control. The issue now is losing.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have a niece who had the surgery. She was a young adult onset diabetic and it was critical that she lose.

She did start to regain. then this past winter she needed surgery to correct something that was wrong with the first. This time they did a further damage, she ended up in ICU for almost a month and nearly died.

She is fine now and a size 6. So I guess its a case of choose your poison!

What Grapefruit and others say is absolutely correct. But we all are not emotionally the same and some have more ability to do the hard thing than others of us. Not putting people like me or you down, it is just the reality.

Posts: 12148 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Firstly, many congratulations on quitting smoking! I've both quit smoking and lost weight and the first was more difficult for me. I have no experience with lap band surgery but as a former health professional I've seen way too many surgical events which didn't have good outcomes and would never personally have cosmetic or any unnecessary surgery.

I know you said you know more about food and nutrition than the average physician but IMO most physicians know very little about either. I also don't like Weight Watchers as so many people on their program continue to lose and gain and it becomes a yo-yo experience.

About 10 years ago I was in a Motor Vehicle Incident (police here no longer call them Accidents) and had a long recovery when I could not move normally but of course my appetite was not affected so I gained about 20 pounds. At the same time I was menopausal so continued to gain even after I recovered. Four years later I was 50 pounds overweight and my BP was elevated so I knew I needed to get serious. By limiting calories and increasing my exercise I lost 20 pounds but couldn't get lower.

That was 6 years ago and several members of my family were seriously affected by cancer which scared me so I began researching and found that diet is thought to play a part in that disease. So I began to eat more healthy and now eat organically and mostly vegetarian. Believe me it's not possible to gain weight with such an eating plan. I'm now lower than my goal weight which is still within normal limits. It's not difficult to live this way and I still travel and eat out with relatives and friends and eat anything I want when I do. I went out for dinner last night and even had a very rich dessert. However at home I eat very sensibly and use no sugar *at all* but don't feel deprived as use stevia which is a healthy sugar substitute. I also avoid most dairy products using only butter and cheese but no milk or yogurt on the advice of my naturopath.

I recently read about a study where they showed that those who used sugar free diet drinks gained more than those who drank sugared drinks. IMO both should be avoided if one wants to either lose weight or be healthy. Besides tea and coffee black or with stevia I drink water with fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice to flavor.

I highly recommend making only very healthy food choices and avoiding the scale for a few weeks. I believe it's necessary to avoid thinking too much about "dieting" while making these lifestyle changes. Think about how healthy you are, not about your weight. I believe that whatever we think about often becomes our reality.

I know you said you don't want advice but IMO you may not know what you need to to achieve your goal. Changing the way one thinks about food choices is key to losing weight permanently. I don't think WW teaches people what they need to know.

Wishing you all the best, you've proven you have willpower by quitting smoking so I'm sure you can also attain a healthy state with your choices. BTW, in the last 6 years I've lost over 55 pounds which is almost 1/3 my highest weight.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12599 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have a close friend who had the lap band procedure just over a year ago. She has lost weight, seems to be stuck in neutral at the moment, but not re-gained anything. She is close to someone else who had the same surgery, who lost 100 pounds, and has regained 150.

My friend is lighter in weight, for sure. She feels better, but her appearance isn't that much improved. She has folds of loose skin that isn't going to retract at this late stage in life. She would need extensive cosmetic surgery to remove the skin, which is an exceptionally painful surgery. And of course, insurance doesn't pay for cosmetic surgery.

The nutritional challenges after surgery are tough. It becomes impossible to take in enough calories - if one follows the eating plan precisely - for complete nutrition. Special vitamin formulas are required for life.

As Grapefruit said, she had to lose weight before her doctor would agree to operate. She did so fairly quickly. I really don't get it. If she could lose weight without surgery, what is the point of undertaking the risk of death from the operation?

This sounds harsh, I know it. To me, weight loss surgery as the equivalent of enforcing bed rest by amputating the legs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4342 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Charming, just chiming in to say good luck and hoping whatever you decide goes well.

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I have gained and lost hundreds of pounds in my lifetime - into the 70's now. I lost 50 lbs. three years ago - and have pretty much kept it off - though I'm still considered "overweight," but no longer "obese." I used a free website, called Calorie Count and religiously entered every bit of food I took in for a whole year - keeping to about 1200 to 1500 calories a day. But - CC (calorie count) also adds in the nutrients of foods - so you can't just eat any old kind of food - but nutritious foods with high fiber content. And that has been most helpful for me - high fiber, for me, translates to a feeling of fullness. Also, I pretty much eat almost the same breakfast and lunch every single day - and eat a "normal" dinner with my husband - just never eating "seconds."

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Okay, my breakfast consists of an egg substitute omelet with 2% cheese, and two slices of whole wheat toast and a low-calorie healthful (no trans fats) margarine.) Sometimes, I have a piece of fruit or tomato with breakfast. But I usually save the fruit for my lunch which consists of 2% cottage cheese, a banana, and melon, or grapes, or berries. In the winter, I may have vegetable soup instead of the cottage cheese & fruit - or I vary the fruits in the winter months.

Seaborne

Posts: 980 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My issue with weight loss is that it is so dang hard to lose a pound!

I was a heavy teenager. Lost weight after I married and got away from DMs cooking. I even got too skinny at one point and thought I looked anorexic - which I wasn't - so gained a few pounds. After son was born in the 80s I gained 10 pounds and kept it for 15 - 20 or so years. Since I was thin enough to start with, that additional 10 pounds was okay.

In the last 15 years...especially the last 9...this has been the pits! And this year...I am speechless. It has taken me a couple of months to lose 9 pounds. I used to could drop that much in a week or so...to start with, then it would taper off. I weight 2-3 times a week and...well...I am not happy. I know lack of estrogen and a slowing metabolism as I grow older do not help things, but this is ridiculous!

Like Seaborne, I started counting calories. It worked for me with first marriage, so that's what I'm doing now. I think I now use the same webpage she mentioned too. DH has tried to ridicule me for counting calories even though he knows you have to take in less or exercise more - or better yet do both - in order to lose weight. He says to just pass on seconds. I eat half the amount he eats to begin with and do not eat seconds! I admit to be a chocoholic, but I've pretty much given up candy. MOF I try not to eat any non-essential carbs and try to keep my bread intake down to one slice a day. Saturday I had half a bagel with a thin layer of cream cheese for breakfast. I forgot and made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Even though I made only half a sandwich for me...that was another slice of bread. Arrrggghhhhh! Anyway, I told DH that if I so much as put a stick of gum in my mouth, I was going to write it down with the calorie count. I went into a co-workers office and got into her M&M dispenser today. SIX M&Ms and I wrote it down. I'm trying to hold between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. Thank goodness for the fresh vegetables available this time of the year!

Exercise: Treadmill 30 minutes 5 days a week. Arm exercises twice a day. Squats (very shallow but still squatting) twice a day. Sit-ups twice a day.

Charming, Talk to your physician. Do your research. If you get far enough into it, check the doctor and facility's success rate, ranking, credentials, etc.

Posts: 16486 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I so agree with you, Sherry. It's so hard to lose weight after a certain age. You are so right to do the treadmill 30 min and as often as you can. I'll bet you feel so much better after aerobic activity. I know I do and the best time for me is morning, even before I eat BF. (It's not the best thing to do, but I drink water and out the door I go, and eat after I drink more and shower.)

I've been a runner for a lot of years. But, now I walk/run to save on the joints. I do wear a stop watch so I know I'm keeping an elevated heart rate for 30 min. (60-80% range)

I now alternately walk fast for 2 min, then jog 2 min and keep that pace for at least 30 min, 3-4 times a week.
I also watch the amount and kind of food I take in (and sugary drinks). With the combination of the two, I've lost some weight and kept it off doing above. I could do better, but I'm happy so far.

I belong to a health club and one of the trainers has convinced us to do planks instead of sit ups. They hurt my back anyway and most people don't do them correctly. Check out the benefits of doing planks. I do weights with arms on alternate days. They will tell you not to do weight training every day. You need one day to let the muscles heal.

Good luck on your efforts. Keep us posted on your progress.

Here's the info on planks:
Plank vs sit ups for stomach exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

Why do the plank?

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-...-plank-exercise.html

To find your therapeutic heart beat range (heart beat while exercising):
Take 220, minus your age and multiply by .60, .70 or .80. I usually keep it in the 70%-80% range for a full 30 minutes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plank...my first thought was hahahahaha. I will give it a try.

The following is partially tongue-in-cheek:
As a heavy teenager...thin adult...maturing and overweight woman...
NO I have never felt better dieting and exercising! I think it is an urban myth. I want to eat what I want when I want. pfffffttttt!

Genetics are the pits! My GM fought her weight. DM fought hers. I look in the mirror and they both stare back at me! Arrgghhhh!

Posts: 16486 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:Genetics are the pits! My GM fought her weight. DM fought hers. I look in the mirror and they both stare back at me! Arrgghhhh!

About 2 years ago I looked in the mirror and saw my grandmother - I almost had a stroke. Eek

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Oh yes - I use the treadmill - 20 minutes at a time. By the way, I am in my mid 70's. And I have found that I do get fuller a lot faster than I did when I was younger.
I try to eliminate as many "empty" carbs as possible. That's why I use only whole grain breads, brown rice, etc...
When really hungry, I will eat slices of turkey, ham, leftover meat with cheese - no bread. Add cherry tomatoes - or always, the cottage cheese.
When away from home, I order salads with added protein - dressing on the side.
If I eat a sandwich, it's always a half.
But some kind of exercise is mandatory.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
quote:
So I began to eat more healthy and now eat organically and mostly vegetarian. Believe me it's not possible to gain weight with such an eating plan.

I have had quite a few friends who are vegetarian and I know this is true. Have never known one who was overweight.

What I don't understand is what would such a 3 meal a day plan look like? One friend I used to often observe fixing their dinner. I would never have eaten what looked to me to be a mess of stuff in a frying pan that had no appeal in any way.

When I think of dinner I think, chicken, beef, fish, etc as the base and then additions. Without meat what would my dinner meals be based on? I like tofu, but DH would never eat it (he also doesn't like much meat)

I can freeze meat but fresh veggies do not keep too long and here in Maine we have a short growing season, although my town has the longest which is fine if you like cabbage! Its not like I am going to be canning or have a root cellar to store things.

Another friend doesn't eat much (really none) meat or fish, but she has some slices of cheese for her dinner.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I have cut down on my portions of meat, poultry, fish - the least being - red meat - 4 oz. maximum at a time - but I eat more poultry - and especially turkey.
Also, I eat energy bars as a snack - but always bars that are high in whole grains and nuts.
I often make a half peanut butter sandwich - when I'm hungry in the late afternoon - we eat dinner very late - in summer, often 8 PM or later.
I also use fudge bars - 100 calories each - as a snack - and always popcorn.
I also eat lots of fruit - melon, grapes, cherries, bananas - in winter, oranges, apples, pears.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah. You can gain weight on a vegetarian diet. My stepD did. She got a bit plump.
There was an acquaintance - barely knew her - she was obese. Think potato chips, tortilla chips, cheesy dips, fried potatoes, cheese enchiladas, beans, rice, pasta...

I too try to limit my breads to only once slice a day. For years now when I get a hamburger, I generally cut it in half...put all the goodies on one half...toss the rest of the bread.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
So I began to eat more healthy and now eat organically and mostly vegetarian. Believe me it's not possible to gain weight with such an eating plan.

I have had quite a few friends who are vegetarian and I know this is true. Have never known one who was overweight.

Oh, I've known quite a few vegetarians who were grossly over weight because they didn't like vegetables and consumed large portions of pasta. Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, I've known quite a few vegetarians who were grossly over weight because they didn't like vegetables and consumed large portions of pasta.

That would do it! But I am only speaking of the vegetarians I have known. I think it is an aversion to meat for reasons other than those cited here. For instance my husband does not want to eat anything that somewhat resembles what it was! That is why he likes ground meat and just asked me to not serve him any large pieces of meat in the stir fry I am about to dish up!

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
What I don't understand is what would such a 3 meal a day plan look like? One friend I used to often observe fixing their dinner. I would never have eaten what looked to me to be a mess of stuff in a frying pan that had no appeal in any way.

My healthy 'almost vegetarian organic eating plan' is comprised of fish, eggs, cheese, and nuts for protein. Occasionally I eat organic beef or elk or wild game that friends hunt. I do eat out as often as once a week and usually have beef, chicken, or fish then. Most people eat more meat than is necessary or even healthy. If I feel I haven't had enough protein I will make a vegan protein shake. I eat almost no prepared foods but meal preparation is very easy.

Other than protein I eat *at least* 4 cups of vegetables daily and a few servings of fruit. Since I try to keep sugar intake low even natural sugars are restricted so I don't eat too much fruit.

I eat grains such as oats, barley, quinoa as cereal, or eggs and toast for breakfast. I eat vegetarian sandwiches or salads, pasta and vegetables, all-dressed nachos, or protein and veggies for lunch or dinner. I use herbs and EVOO liberally. Occasionally I eat organic grits or organic popcorn. I put lots of butter and either garlic or nutritional yeast on popcorn as I no longer have to be concerned about calories. It's really not that different from any healthy balanced diet except almost no meat and a lot more veggies. It's a lot lower in carbs than what most overweight people eat as I eat no corn on the cob as don't trust it's not GMO and I'm sure the organic corn that's currently in the store is days old. Also would never eat energy bars as they are usually high in sugar or synthetic additives. Don't eat peanut butter on the advice of my Naturopath as there is a real danger of aflatoxin contamination. Don't eat rice any more as it's been shown to be high in arsenic.

My current favorite dessert is frozen blueberries with stevia and whipping cream poured over. The cream freezes on contact and it's kind of like icecream. Yummy. The other night tho when I went out to dinner I had a chocolate lava cake with gobs of whipped cream. I don't need to restrict myself when I eat out because I won't gain weight from one meal. Just came home from 2 weeks away and ate everything in sight, none of it organic and probably lots of sugar in the desserts. Oh, and wine and beer daily too! Didn't gain an ounce, in fact lost a few pounds as we walked so much.

I love this way of eating as I have lots of energy, look a lot better than I did when 50 pounds heavier, and don't have to even think about calories, much less feel guilty and worry. I now wear XS clothing instead of L or XL. I can't even hardly lift 50 pounds now but used to carry that around all the time. I never feel hungry as I eat regularly and drink a lot of water. If I have a craving for something I eat organic chocolate chips and nuts. I know I am much healthier and at less risk of all those noxious diseases that come with obesity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, yeah. You can gain weight on a vegetarian diet. My stepD did. She got a bit plump.
There was an acquaintance - barely knew her - she was obese. Think potato chips, tortilla chips, cheesy dips, fried potatoes, cheese enchiladas, beans, rice, pasta...
[/QUOTE]

Seriously no one can consider this a healthy vegetarian diet. I'd call it a junk food diet. There are no healthy vegetables listed. I never eat potato chips, cheesy dips, cheese enchiladas, or rice as don't consider those healthy choices. I occasionally make nachos all dressed with vegetables and cheese, and sometimes have yam fries in restaurants as I love them. Rarely eat white potatoes except in restaurants when I might have a baked potato all-dressed with extra sour cream or mashed potatoes. Never eat white potato fries any more. I do however eat lots of green leafy vegetables, broccoli, cabbage, orange, red, and yellow peppers, carrots, English cucumbers, beets, celery, avocados, tomatoes, green onions, yellow onions, garlic, all of which are organic and available in my small town chain grocery. Probably more I've forgotten but that's what a *healthy* vegetarian diet looks like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find the ignorance about healthy food choices is astounding. I have obese friends who think nothing of ordering ice tea or colas and have refills throughout the meal. There are amazing amounts of sugar in those drinks and sugar is now known to be one of the most unhealthy substances one can ingest. Cancer cells feed on sugar and it contributes to most chronic illnesses. I no longer discuss food choices as all my friends and relatives know about my journey and if they feel invulnerable I just have to love them but can't change them as I sit drinking my ice water.

Unless one lives in a bubble it's quite obvious the rates of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and other terrible diseases and most are now thought to be either caused by unhealthy food choices or be exacerbated by them. Thinking that diet is not important and that "the Doctor will cure whatever ails you" is not a sensible theory in light of what is now known about disease. It's necessary to be pro-active and inform oneself about food and health. Greek physician Hippocrates (460-377 BC) said "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food". Still good advice.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12599 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not everyone who is a vegetarian eats that way because of a health choice. Many because it is an aversion to killing animals for food.

I mentioned two different people above. StepD did her own cooking, did not eat junk food, but did get plump. (She eats everything she can get her hands on now...meat included...and is actually thinner than she was in her vegetarian stage. Go figure.)

The other person...well...no comment...you would just have to know her.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lucky,

Thank you for your post. It is helpful to see the step by step process to feeling better.

I've also recently dropped sugar and white processed carbs from my diet. The results were a 30 pound weight loss and improved blood work.

Charming, I wish you well on your journey to find what works for you.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the ignorance about healthy food choices is astounding.

I do however eat lots of green leafy vegetables, broccoli, cabbage, orange, red, and yellow peppers, carrots, English cucumbers, beets, celery, avocados, tomatoes, green onions, yellow onions, garlic

"Unless one lives in a bubble it's quite obvious the rates of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and other terrible diseases and most are now thought to be either caused by unhealthy food choices or be exacerbated by them."

Well I am neither ignorant or ill informed. And I certainly don't live in a bubble. I think I inquired about what a three meal food plan would look like. I know what would be eaten! But somehow can't see my DH eating a plate full of raw veggies esp in the winter. He would not eat avocado (one of my favorite foods) nor peppers, doesn't like tomatoes or beets. I don't live in a marriage bubble either.

I know lots of people who are very much "into" macro biotic type eating. Some pretty well known books have been written by people from my town. I have a friend who is close to such a person. My friend is very slender also has had cancer and is now having great difficulty recovering from knee surgery performed in Feb.

Myself? I am 79 and have no health issues to speak of. I must be doing something right. I have not had sugar in a beverage for almost 20 years but do just use any artificial sweetener (but not much of it) although this same friend tried to get me to use stevia exclusively. I drink a lot of water and eat in moderation. . . weighing say pasta portions before cooking them.

It seems to me that good sense and a certain moderation are key here.

One of my friends weighs about 95 lbs drinks a very hefty martini every day, smokes, eats meat, but all meals in moderation and is basically healthier than the people I know who are vegetarians esp the other friend who has cheese for dinner!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not everyone who is a vegetarian eats that way because of a health choice

This makes me think of the friend who makes what I call a "mess" for dinner. She sadly has a family member with mental health problems and when she was in a psychiatrists office she noticed a book with a title something like "aversion to eating meat a/c of cannibalism" that is not really the title but the gist of it.

It really shocked her and took her aback. I think that is another reason also in addition to an aversion to killing animals

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
LOS - there is a lot to be said for individual metabolisms. My twin (fraternal) nephews are like night and day. Raised in the same home on the same food - one was always a little heavier as a baby and children. Now in their 40's the skinny kid (jokingly referred to by his brother as young teens the Biafran refugee) is still the skinny one and his brother has weight problems and all the issues that come with it.

Thanks for all the responses, many were what I expected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

posted Hide Post
I too have had issues with my weight since I was 16 yrs old and I am now 40 and on several different medications. I have been doing Weight Watchers on and off all my life. I am back to doing Weight Watchers, but I am taking my journey one day and one pound at a time. It is so hard when I either go to a meeting or I am on different message boards and see how people are losing more than a lb or two in a week or some of the people under eat to try to lose the weight. I am not going to starve myself or deprive myself of the foods I love to eat. Just plan to eat them in moderation. That is why I love the new Weight Watchers Program.

Posts: 168 | Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri | Registered: Jan 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yvetteabigail:
I too have had issues with my weight since I was 16 yrs old and I am now 40 and on several different medications. I have been doing Weight Watchers on and off all my life. I am back to doing Weight Watchers, but I am taking my journey one day and one pound at a time. It is so hard when I either go to a meeting or I am on different message boards and see how people are losing more than a lb or two in a week or some of the people under eat to try to lose the weight. I am not going to starve myself or deprive myself of the foods I love to eat. Just plan to eat them in moderation. That is why I love the new Weight Watchers Program.

That's wonderful. If you have a really good leader at your meetings then she will celebrate every loss, no matter how small to others. Have you talked to your leader about tweaking your food plan? Also, talk to your doctor to check your thyroid. I know - old joke, but it really can slow down weight loss.

I am thinking about trying WW on line. Not sure if it has what I need.

Keep up the good work.

posted Hide Post
I know of two people at my former place of employment who did the lap band surgery. One attractive young secretary did it and lot a lot of weight. She started losing too much weight after that and started looking ill. He lap band had slipped so that it was constricting too much. She had to be out of work about a month after getting that corrected.

Another man there had the lap band surgery done. He too lost weight but he was not disciplined with his diet. We watched what he ate at lunch. He didn't have problems like the others. I believe that he had to go in routinely to get his lap band tightened or readjusted.

I've heard about a lot of serious issues for people who have part of their stomach removed. They go through a lot of complicated and costly medical tests afterward if things do not work out well. It looked like serious business to be avoided if possible.

I read about a new procedure where laser's are used to remove stubborn fat deposits. The fat cells are destroyed. When one loses weight by dieting the fat cells shrink but they don't disappear.

Good luck.

If you could find a pool to swim in or to do aerobics in it would relieve your skeletal problems

You can do it.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't loose hope, surgery maybe the last step if there are no available choice, but now there are several options that you can do. Actually, I was also 20 pounds overweight, and I am very unpleasant even I see myself on the mirror, but after seeing some of my friends with firm and fit body, I have been motivated from them. I started to join several fitness program, control the food I eat and some supplement which I prefer herbal like garcinia cambogia, wherein the extract is the best source of weight loss components. Try to be patience, just stick to the right path, at the very end you will see the point you are looking for.

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When dieting to lose weight, be sure to make breakfast part of your daily routine. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are thinner and healthier than people who do not eat breakfast. Eating breakfast will also help keep you from getting hungry and overeating later in the day.

In any weight-loss scheme, the canny dieter will learn to do their own cooking. Turning healthy ingredients into healthy meals is a vital skill for losing weight - and for maintaining a healthy lifestyle after the weight is lost. Even pre-packaged foods that claim to be "healthy", cannot be nearly as healthy as a well-planned meal made from fresh ingredients.

Russel Howe
Fitness Instructor
www.garciniatoloseweight.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
One thing I know, Charming, is that weight maintenance is a daily, lifelong habit. It never goes away. I think with surgery it still has to be taken care of every single day, forever.

I was thinking though, that it is a good idea to check any prescriptions you may be taking, as weight gain can be a side effect of many drugs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russel Howe:
When dieting to lose weight, be sure to make breakfast part of your daily routine. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are thinner and healthier than people who do not eat breakfast. Eating breakfast will also help keep you from getting hungry and overeating later in the day.

In any weight-loss scheme, the canny dieter will learn to do their own cooking. Turning healthy ingredients into healthy meals is a vital skill for losing weight - and for maintaining a healthy lifestyle after the weight is lost. Even pre-packaged foods that claim to be "healthy", cannot be nearly as healthy as a well-planned meal made from fresh ingredients.

And I just read the results of a study the other day that said that those people who skipped breakfast gained less weight and had a more active metabolism!
I guess it depends on whose study you want to believe! Roll Eyes

I think we ALL need to read labels more carefully. Many things are being disguised by using newer names for them...but they still contain things our bodies don't need.
I have been paying more attention, rarely buy anything that is processed and both DH & I have dropped a couple of pounds without trying. I have reverted to using lard, nearly nothing but real butter, EVOO or sunflower oil, gone back to whole milk and now refuse to buy ANYTHING that says low fat, reduced calories or light! Those all have other things added that IMHO is a big part of what is making the entire population gain weight!
Just notice how many things have either sugar or some kind of sweetener added to them....take smoked sausage as an example...I "finally" found one that doesn't have any sweeteners and is made with only pork...all the rest have either sugar or corn sweetener and also chicken/turkey "scraps" added to them...read the labels!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Most of them facing the problem is over weight. Generally, These kind of issues will be occurred with the change of food diet. I think, doing regular exercise and maintaining the correct diet plan will helpful to reduce the weight.

buy green coffee bean extract
pure green coffee bean extract online

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Another spammer!

But since this thread has been brought back up...I've added another item that I've reverted to...WHOLE milk and I won't buy any sugar that doesn't say pure CANE sugar.
DH has lost about 8 lbs. in a couple of months & I've lost about 6 lbs. in the same time frame.
I've been avoiding products that have GMO'd crop products in them...these include corn, soy, canola & sugar beets.

What works for one or some will not work for all.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post