Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  homemade tortillas, now...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

homemade tortillas, now... Sign In/Join 
posted
how about recipes for taco filling. We visit a mexican restaurant (on the point of an obsession for me, lol) and they have the best tacos. It has some heat but not spicey (in the flavor sense)

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Go to thechew.com, click on Episodes, scroll down to Wed., 9/25 (the picture of the two brothers), and it'll bring up Mario Battalli's Build Your Own Tacos.

As for me, I just make a ground beef filling with those packages of taco mix, and put out diced tomatoes and onions, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados, cheddar cheese, salsa, and sour cream. I serve it with homemade pinto beans and Mexican rice. Almost as good as our local taqueria.

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We use the McCormick's Taco seasoning mix when we have tacos at home, too.

CA Lori, I'd be interested in your Mexican rice recipe, too, if you'll share.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6578 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
I like Penzey's Taco seasoning.

Posts: 2747 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
You gals are making me s-o-o hungry. I like the soft tacos with pork and green chile filling, but wasn't sure how to make them.

So, in today's paper, I found this very timely and yummy article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10...taco.html?ref=dining

Enjoy!

Posts: 5286 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I'm always on the lookout for a better Mex. Rice recipe. An easy one I use often is:

Brown 1 c white long grain rice in 2 Tb oil, with some diced onion and 2 cloves chopped garlic and 1/3 c finely diced carrots. Add 2 Tb tomato sauce (or fresh tomato or salsa) and 2 c chicken broth (or 1 c water and 1 c broth). I also like to add about 1/2 c or so of frozen peas. Bring to a boil and then cover. Cook covered on low heat for 35-40 minutes.

FYI: My Mex. friend adds finely diced uncooked potatoes when she makes her meat filling. I love it this way but the rest of the family does not.

As for the packaged taco mixes, I don't have any preference, although I've never tried Penzey's.

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And I always add canned peas to mine. First Mexican restaurant we ever ate at had peas in their tacos and that is just the best! Then I do lettuce, tomato, cheese and a sprinkle of Parm cheese (the one in the shaker seems to work fine for this).

Oh, and my taco seasoning is Spanish Gardens -- I think their fairly local.

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post