Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

appetizers Sign In/Join 
posted
We're new to this neighborhood and one couple had us over for drinks and appetizers and I want to have them over but don't know what to serve. Something easy and light.Please help!! TIA

Carlene

Posts: 1820 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
What did they serve? I would do something in a similar vein. But you could still wow them with your choice.

For example if they served nuts and olives you could do marcona almonds and really good imported olives

My dh is not fond of dippy things for living room appetizers. Too fussy. He prefers something you pick up and eat. Or place on a napkin and eat although sometimes we do make an exception.

Tell me what they served and that will give me an idea. Also was it mixed drinks or wine?

Martha

Posts: 6381 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I can't remember half the stuff I've served for appetizers/finger food...

Stuffed mushroom caps
Bruschetta with tapenade
Bite size fruit on a stick (k-bobs)

Vegetables - I've done something like this but used crescent roll dough smashed the seams together in a baking sheet. I stirred everything into the cream cheese mixture to make sure it all stuck to the crust and did not fall off:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/rec...tichoke-veggie-pizza

The main thing is to keep it simple so that you can have everything prepared and not have to cook while your guests are there.

Posts: 17419 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha, you did not mean to "one-up"the neighbors by serving a fancy version of the same thing they did? No, I did not think you meant that. It would not give the relationship a good start.

But maybe what they made will give an indication of what kind of things they like.

Posts: 7307 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I used to serve something called tuna pinwheels in the '70's. DH loved these. I'll post recipe later. It is a single thing to eat, no dipping.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had both wine and mix drinks. Cheese and crackers, pickled okra wrapped with cheese. Bite size pizza.
Oh I've got pickled okra DS canned I'll use that for sure!! What else could I wrap it in besides cheese?
Tuna wouldn't go over with DH!
Want it simple! Thanks

Carlene

Posts: 1820 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We moved into a new neighborhood a few months ago and attended our first neighborhood happy hour the other night. Every month, a neighbor will host the gathering and prepare some nice refreshments, but the other neighbors contribute favorite snacks and beverages, like a potluck. Usually 25 - 40 folks attend.

Here is what was served: devilled eggs, pizza bites, mini quiches, jalapeno poppers, fresh venison and pork sausage from an avid hunter in the group, cheeses of all kinds, crackers, sweet & spiced nuts, queso dip with tortilla chips, homemade brownie bites. Nothing exotic, all simple and delicious...some homemade, others from the supermarket freezer case. And, wine. Lots of different wines and non-alcoholic beverages.

Now I know what to serve when it is my turn to host. So, just take a cue from your neighbor's menu, but make sure to add one or two specialities of your own. Everybody has something like this in their repertoire.

Good luck!

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
No. I didn't mean to one up. Just "nice' things. Good nuts. Good olives

I've got some super and super easy "bites". Ill post soon

Martha

Posts: 6381 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
This is a favorite. Can be made ahead. Serve at ro to and they are always a hit

1 tube of Pillsbury breadsticks
12 slices of bacon
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 T. chili powder

Mix brown sugar and chili powder together and put in a shallow plate. Roll bacon around each breadstick and twist. Roll wrapped breadstick in brown sugar mixture. Place on a sillpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at temperature recommend on package until breadsticks are done and bacon is brown (about 20 minutes). Leave on baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Serve at room temperature.

NOTE: I cut my breadsticks in half and my bacon in thirds before wrapping and rolling!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
These are good. And actually you could do this with any cheese all. Use a straight pretzel to stick into the top of them. If you don't like goat cheese you could use all cream cheese

Bake about 40 minutes or until center is set. Immediately spread with sour cream. Bake 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Remove side of pan. Serve with tortilla chips.

Pizza Dip

I love to talk food with Daughter Sarah and she was the one who suggested that I add this to my class. It was, she said the appetizer in Minneapolis where she lives. It was, she said, at every party this season and was the hit of every party. I found a recipe on line, made it, and it was, the favorite appetizer of the class. It's simple to put together and is so good. I think, however, that the corn chips are the perfect dipper -- crisp (like a pizza crust) and with a slight corn flavor (for so many pizza crusts have cornmeal on the bottom).

The hit of the class. I gave the recipe to Cass at That Old House and it was the hit of her Christmas Party!
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
14 ounce can pizza sauce
1/4 pound pepperoni, sliced
1 green onion, chopped
black olives, sliced
2 cups Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread cream cheese on bottom of the pie pan. Pour pizza sauce over the cream cheese, and spread it so that there is an even layer of sauce. Sprinkle with pepperoni, onion and olives. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with corn chips.

Meatballs in Chinese Soup Spoons

When short of time, we need all the help we can get and there can't be any easier help than frozen meatballs. These are easy and the only other ingredient is a bottle of a store-bought sauce (your favorite). The presentation is the thing here -- if you have or can find the Chinese soup spoons, they are perfect -- if you can't, your silver spoons would work and if you'd rather not use those the meatballs speared with a straight pretzel stick, on a plate with a bowl of the dipping sauce in the middle would work.

It's all about presentation.

The easiest of the appetizers. Frozen meatballs warmed in the oven. A dab of chipotle mustard into each spoon, a meatball on top and a sprinkle of chopped parsley. A one bite easy appetizer. You could use silver teaspoons if you don't have the Chinese soup spoons.

Curried Truffles

Cheeseballs are really a party staple. But once cut into they can look like a dog's breakfast. Making the cheese ball into individual balls and calling them truffles takes this aspect out of the appetizer. This is a good cheese ball recipe and you can use it or you can use your favorite cheese ball and just roll it into little balls to put in either miniature muffin papers or stick a straight pretzel in them and serve them on a plate. And then call them truffles!

Cheeseballs in miniature -- one bite at a time -- perfect for slipping onto a cracker!
8 ounces cream cheese
4 ounces goat cheese
2 t. curry powder
1 T. finely chopped green onion
2 t. mango chutney
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. finely chopped dried apricots
1/2 c. finely chopped finely toasted almonds
1/2 c. finely chopped dried cranberries

Beat cream cheese and goat cheese and curry powder together at medium speed until smooth. Stir in green onion, chutney and salt. Cover and chill 2 hours or until firm. Combine apricots, cranberries and almonds. Shape cheese mixture into 1 inch balls. Roll cheese balls in dried fruit mixture. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Martha

Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
SALAMI SKEWERS
salami, roasted red peppers (they come in a jar), green olives, cubed pepper jack or mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinaigrette or Greek salad dressing.

Marinate everything at least 3 hours. On short wood skewers, place one piece of salami (folded into quarters), one piece of red pepper, one cube of cheese, one green olive.

So easy, pretty, and good!

Posts: 6098 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies!

Carlene

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Tell us what you device to make

posted Hide Post
I'll come back and let you know. Not sure when we are going to be doing it. Might be closer to the holidays. Thanks again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Meatballs, heated up in a sauce made of a bottle of Chili Sauce and a can of whole cranberry sauce. I use frozen meatballs from Costco. Easy and delicious.

Seaborne

Posts: 1229 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
SALAMI SKEWERS
salami, roasted red peppers (they come in a jar), green olives, cubed pepper jack or mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinaigrette or Greek salad dressing.

Marinate everything at least 3 hours. On short wood skewers, place one piece of salami (folded into quarters), one piece of red pepper, one cube of cheese, one green olive.

So easy, pretty, and good!

Oooh, I gotta remember that one! Just my kind of appetizer.

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fried Ravioli is my favorite guest-over-appetizer. You can also go for stuffed mushrooms, and sweet and sour meatballs.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We have no call for appetizer much, but those cheese balls sound wonderful. I'm nearly drooling!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6849 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I made these antipasta skewers and they were a big hit.....and pretty.

Posts: 3646 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yum, That's my comment for the day.

Posts: 847 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post