Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Another People Observation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another People Observation Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
Give someone a frying pan and an apron and they are Julia Childs!!

Over on the sister network website I was reading some of the reviews for a dish from a very well known and I think respected chef. I know they had to turn off their discussion boards several years ago because of the rude and ridiculous behavior of some of their "fans" but people still show their ignorance through their recipe comments.

The recipe in question called for tossing 5 - 6 cups of cauliflower cut into 1/2" pieces with olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. The oil to juice was a 2/1 ratio. Then roast at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

Most people loved the recipe (I'm going to do it tonight) but there were a couple of posters who obviously knew more about cooking with olive oil than the pros. One comment that was really ridiculous - frying with olive oil will make it a trans fat!!! Who knew? Roll Eyes

(According to the olive oil people that repeated frying with the same oil at a high heat will cause it to break down like any oil.)

The second to follow up on that was that to cook with olive oil over 350 will cause it to smoke and then it will become carcinogenous and cause cancer if you eat the food.

They obviously did not notice he was not frying, he combined the oil with other ingredients and all of that changed the smoke point, etc, etc.

Just goes to show a little knowledge can really show your ignorance. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- I've found the same thing. But I've also noticed that different "chefs" on TV often contradict each other -- one says don't do, the other says do! Who to believe?

I remember the quote "ignorance is bliss" -- however, I'm not sure if you should share your bliss!!! LOL!

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
...different "chefs" on TV often contradict each other -- one says don't do, the other says do! Who to believe?
Martha

Oil in pasta water - NO oil in pasta water
Wash mushrooms - Do NOT wash mushrooms
Unsalted butter - Salted butter

Not to mention the different oils. Don't use 'that' oil because it will burn. Use 'that' oil for the flavor.

It goes on and on and on.

I think one of the funniest (to me) things I've heard recently is cutting vegetables on the "bias." You can cut them on an angle, but vegetables do not have a bias as I understand bias which has to do with fabric.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Sherry -- that's good -- bias -- doesn't it have to do with weave? There is no "weave" in vegetables!

LOL!

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The word bias (from Old French and before that probably from the Greek word for oblique) simply means "slanted" or diagonal.

Bias is not only used in sewing and knife skills but also in electronics, statistics, and bowling -- who knew? Smile

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
One thing I've observed on cooking shows is the excessive pouring of olive oil into dishes for flavor! Gosh, if I poured butter, olive oil, bacon grease, etc. to get more flavor I'd be on the TLC network's "My 600 Pound Life."

So stop already with this "start with some EVOO in the botton of the pan" and tell me I could get by using one teaspoon of the stuff.

Lidia pours alot of olive oil on the top of her finished dishes. There is absolutely no way I could even bring myself to do that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lurah,

Posts: 2844 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Yep.
Different strokes for different...budgets...figures...expertise levels...tastes. There's an expert chef for everyone.

Posts: 6680 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
One thing I've observed on cooking shows is the excessive pouring of olive oil into dishes for flavor!

OK, I thought it was just me - The "celebrity chefs" cook the food in tons of olive oil or butter, THEN, they drizzle tons more of it on the finished dish...

Sheesh! Frown

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
One thing I've observed on cooking shows is the excessive pouring of olive oil into dishes for flavor! Gosh, if I poured butter, olive oil, bacon grease, etc. to get more flavor I'd be on the TLC network's "My 600 Pound Life."

So stop already with this "start with some EVOO in the botton of the pan" and tell me I could get by using one teaspoon of the stuff.

TOO FUNNY AND I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always started recipe instructions thusly: "First you make a roux, and then you put that in the freezer. You don't need it for this." But I recently heart that Irma Rombauer had a much better opening line: "Stand facing the stove." That will become my new line. For example, "Stand facing the stove, and then go get the mixer because you are trying to bake a cake."

Posts: 3536 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not as dense as the peeps are talking to.I think I agree with all the above maybe we should start a cooking class from this board.You all are surely healthier cooks than most tv cooks.The recipes I have used off this board have been really good and I will con fess I use Sherry's blog like a cook book,I admire her ability to cook ,sew and hold down a public job.OH yeah enjoy the grands as much as possible.Blessings to all

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arkansas #1,

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1650 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post