Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Babette's feast Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Did anyone happen to see this on t.v. last night? When it came out I remember that it was one of DD's favorites (along with Manon of the Spring and Jean de Florette)

I also liked it and enjoyed it just as much on re-viewing. Love to see food cooked and also loved the china! Anthony Bourdin was the host and he explained how they filmed the food. I like other movies about food, like Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, and the one where they do all the cooking in the courtyard. . . can't remember name.

Anyone else enjoy watching movies about food?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 13008 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I seldom watch movies or tv shows about cooking. I sometimes catch Sandra Lee, Semi Homemade I think is name of her show. Couldn't tell you when it is on. I'm just not into cooking much or experimenting any more- DH palette is so limited and we're out so much. And I am a good cook, but since I've retired I just don't enjoy day to day cooking any more. Love planning and preparing for dinner parties and entertaining people in my home.

Posts: 3156 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
It is one of my favorite movies as well. No I didn't catch it on TV (we were at an event) -- but I simply ADORE the movie!

Martha

Posts: 6284 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I am a good cook, but since I've retired I just don't enjoy day to day cooking any more.

I find this is true of almost everyone I know. As we age we lose our interest in cooking. (although I have spent the morning doing so!)

Martha, I enjoyed the movie even more this time probably because of the commentary at the end but also because now I have seen many other movies and cooking shows on t.v.

Posts: 13008 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of norahs978
posted Hide Post
We caught Babette's Feast on TV the other night. Also have seen Manon o/t Spring and J. de Florette. Loved them all. DH had never liked watching subtitled movies, but was so entranced with Manon of the Spring that the following day he discussed it in great detail as I had gone to bed early and missed about half the story.

I also loved Chocolat, with Juliette Binoch! Perhaps because I still love to cook (and eat) I enjoy movie about food.

Posts: 1409 | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post