Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Broken Crock pot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Crock pot Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted
I was washing my crock pot (the ceramic "crock" part) today and discovered it's cracked all the way across the bottom. it isn't even 4 months old.

Do they sell replacement crocks? I've looked on line, and I've found stuff on ebay but they seem used etc.

Regular liners in the few places I've found seem to cost what I paid for the whole thing.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
How about a crock pot plastic disposable liner? I have not used these, but many people really like them for fast and easy cleanup. Then the crack should not be an issue.

Honestly, most of the round crockpots are under 20 dollars or even a lot less if you find one at a garage or benefit sale.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I don't know about other manufacturers of slow cookers but you can buy replacement parts directly from crock pot.

http://www.crock-pot.com/customerservice.aspx

I checked my model number and the price to replace ceramic liner is $15.00 If you have the original sales receipt your crock pot brand has a one year warranty and they will replace it at no charge. Provided, of course, the owner didn't cause the damage.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Is there an obvious chip that may have started the crack? If not, contact the manufacturer and ask for a free replacement...only 4 months...

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Is there an obvious chip that may have started the crack? If not, contact the manufacturer and ask for a free replacement...only 4 months...

Agreed! There are several that have had problems and will replace at no charge. If they won't, I'd buy a new crock pot...otherwise, you risk it breaking while you are handling it and YOU could get hurt!

I had one that the maker replaced the crock...don't remember the brand though. I've since replaced it with one a bit bigger!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4304 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If the manufacturer will not replace it easily for you, and it was defective (not dropped or otherwise damaged)
And I agree that only 4 months use is just wrong to have it fail.

If you can do nothing else, I would try this:

Do you recall the store you purchased it from? See if you can buy another just like it, then return the damaged one with the new box, receipt and all (you get the new one). The store will send your cracked one back to their distributor and get a replacement. This is often the only way the manufacturer gets the message about defects.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Check for which country it was made in and let us know that and what brand, please.

We had a thread several months ago about short-lived slow cookers.

I'm just curious if it was made in China?

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I'm one of those people who just can't seem to hang on to recipts. maybe around christmas at least til I'm sure everything fits, but for a 4 month old small appliance? no such luck.

I'll look when I get back downstairs, but I'm pretty sure it was made in china.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
do you have the box still? If so, I would try to return it even without the receipt. The store wants your return business. Plus the box might have instructions for returning to manufacturer.

Agreed that you should not use it. Not worth the risk of injury!

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
"Sigh. I'm one of those people who just can't seem to hang on to receipts."

I used to have this problem. Have you tried scanning your receipts, saving them to a program on your computer. Then, you'd have them as needed?

It's one reason I am thankful for the scanner. I have scanned photos to send to family. This was the first purpose of the scanner.

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
No box either. I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to tossing stuff. I have maybe a half dozen boxes in various sizes in the attic and that's basically enough. otherwise packing stuff gets tossed the first trash day possible.

No chip, the crock was made in china and I bought it at KMart. They said without the recipt they can't do anything. I will see if I can find a new insert.

Life is GOOD!!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:

No chip, the crock was made in china and I bought it at KMart. They said without the recipt they can't do anything. I will see if I can find a new insert.

That is why I suggested buying an identical one, keeping it, and returning your defective one in the box with the receipt, after a week or two.
Yes it may not be completely honest...but getting ripped off with defective merchandise is not fair either. And the store often gets a replacement or credit from the manufacturer.

posted Hide Post
I would do as conrad suggests too.
I did that with a large planter pot. After I planted it and had it in place, 3 mos. later I went to move it and the whole rim came off in a big circle. So went back to the store and they carried the exact same one, so I bought the new, re-potted, returned the broken one. They do get their replacement, and much easier than waiting months and headache with the manufacturer!

Posts: 208 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Was it a charge? If so, perhaps your proof will be on your statement. In any event, the store in which you bought it may very likely believe you and give you a gift receipt at the very least. I would not rebuy the same brand though.

BTW, I have learned that BED,BATH AND BEYOND for one will gladly replace a defective product purchased therE If they can look up your purchase using your charge card if it was purchased using that card. If all else fails, contact the manufacturer. They may simply ask that you mail a piece of the crock as proof.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
"Sigh. I'm one of those people who just can't seem to hang on to receipts."

I used to have this problem. Have you tried scanning your receipts, saving them to a program on your computer. Then, you'd have them as needed?

what an excellant idea! I've never thought to do that! luv it!

It's one reason I am thankful for the scanner. I have scanned photos to send to family. This was the first purpose of the scanner.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
First thing, I want to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help.

Alas, I paid cash for the original crock pot, which I bought at kmart, about 4 months ago. I have no idea how it cracked and I can't say for 100 % certain that I didn't bump it when I washed it. I just don't know.

As I said before I didn't save the reciept either.

So I bit the bullet and just straight up bought a new one. I DO have and will keep this reciept.

While it might have been perfectly ethical to buy a new one, then return the cracked one in the box for a refund I had a niggly feeling about doing that, so I didn't. YMMV and if it's something you feel comfortable doing I have zero problem with you doing it. Just I don't feel comfortable.

If this one breaks I will have the reciept in hand and make darn certain I get a new FREE crock pot!!

Life is GOOD!!

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Yesterday took DS1 & DS2 to a friends home to clear out kitchenware items. There were a couple old crock pots, one a mid size West Bend unit that just sat on a round warming base and the other one I brought home to replace my cracked chocolate fondue pot - a small crock bowl with crockery lid that was electric.

But my sons were intrigued with the old waffle iron. Beautiful chrome unit, rectangular base but had dual side by side covers that you opened up, made 4 square waffles at a time. The cord was detachable, but I noted to them "see this fabric covered electrical cord." It's a treasure. Suggested to my friend's son that he take it to the farm house his mom restored and uses as a guest house.

Posts: 2639 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post