Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  thrift store FIND!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thrift store FIND!! Sign In/Join 
posted
I frequent a few local thrift store and have made some GREAT find in kitchen stuff.

Found a "vintage" KA sand mixer for $19.99 at Good Will... with bowl, whisk, paddle, and dough hook. Then a few weeks later a spare bowl for about $5.

Came across a KA 7-speed hand mixer... never even out of wrapping for $5... at shop tat benefits a children's home.

Already HAD a Cuisinart food processor (basic model) but couldn't pass up another one for $8 at a shop that benefits local hospital. Figured at the least... a spare bowl. It ended up a step UP from what I had... slightly larger capacity.

Then 2 days ago, in SAME shop, another C food processor for $8. This time it came with NINE extra slicing/shredding blades!! Got it home an IT was even larger capacity... 14 cups, from what I could find out. Couldn't find out what it woulda cost originally... apparently discontinued (slightly "vintage")... but those extra blades would cost over $200 according to owners manual.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Those are some great deals. Now to donate back all the extra appliances. Unless you have a lot more storage space than I do.

I admire people who have the patience to shop the thrift stores. I don't know if it is me, or the ones here are so junky I can't wait to get out.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3565 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Do you cook a lot and actually have space for all those kitchen appliances?! I have a blender from yrs. ago that I hardly ever use. Funny thing is now my DD uses it for baking cakes. It got a new life.
Do you have a large family and cook a lot? I never shop in thrift stores _- have too much stuff already, need to donate!

Posts: 2497 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
thatchairlady, those ARE some excellent finds! We love our KA! I have a pegboard that holds the dough hook, wisk, paddles, shredder components, etc. DH loves to cook and he would always ask, "Where's the ____". It is now in sight and more convenient.

We have two food processors. One came with a blender. But, we use both so often...it's a must!

Charming...as for storage space...I can relate to what you have said. I'm in the process trying to find an extra shelf for our stainless steel worktable. We have our pots and pans underneath. There's a lot of space above that could be better used. Another shelf would make things better organized. Moving some of our not used daily items to the basement would also help. Hub keeps saying "when he gets to it"...I keep waiting patiently. lol

I found a solid oak entertainment center from a thrift shop. It's being used as storage in the "eat in" section of the kitchen. We make things works when we have to. The microwave fits perfectly in the space that had been for the tv. Thin tvs have made the entertainment centers....obsolete. There's a lot of them out there...and they are great for storage! When I saw what was done with the chifferobe on the 2013 BC, I am thinking...I wouldn't mind finding one of them!

I have a mix of workspaces. I'm pretty sure when I listened to a designer say the "French" used many different cabinets...he didn't mean what I've put together. But someday, our kitchen will come together. I'm just appreciative of what I can use today.

Again...w2G Thatchairlady!

Posts: 5217 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asked sister if she wanted/needed a food processor at her rental place in mountains, but she already has one there. Found someone at another cooking site who wants mine... will pay the shipping.

I'm cooking for ONE most days!! I use these appliances enough that it's worth finding a place for them.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
When we had an addition put on the house I had an L added to the end of the counters in the kitchen. It has pull out drawers where I store all my baking sheets, muffin tins, electric griddle, food processor, odd shaped pieces, etc.

My kitchen is U shaped with the L acting as a 4th "wall". No place for armoires or other large furniture items. I do have a small rolling island in the center it holds the wooden cutting boards, has a knife rack on one end, I hang aprons on the cart handle, I have my electric roaster on the bottom shelf, a 2 level wine rack on the top shelf, and bar and specialty kitchen tools (pizza cutter) in the drawer. The top is granite and I can use it for pie dough or things that should stay cool when worked with.

The microwave is off the counter in its own cabinet. Great storage, just no basements here and I've collected so much stuff it is all over flowing.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3565 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I check thrifts stores too. I head straight to the kitchen section. I really have all that I need, but have purchased a bread machine for son for nearly nothing. Even better, I found a bread slicing gauge like mine. He was excited more over that I think! LOL

Our library's Friends group does some catering. We cater mostly for women's civic clubs and we go "all out." Table linens, napkins, china...much of which were purchased at thrift stores and garage sales. Flatware and stemware were purchased at one time in order to give continuity. At thrift stores, I purchased martini and margarita glasses to put lemons and limes in for each table. (I mentioned we do this mainly for women's groups...one man contacted me about catering a luncheon for area-wide chambers of commerce...many different towns. He said that paper and plastic would be okay. Not with our "reputation"!! They got the full works. He begrudgingly accepted the compliments for hiring us. Wink )

Posts: 17194 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Some relatives were telling me about the great buys at Goodwill on Nantucket.

Yet here our stores are very pricey and have many new items. Someone said that this is now privately owned and not to donate to it as they are very wealthy.

I did just recently get a jacket & dress outfit for $5 though.

Posts: 12821 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thatchairlady, I may need to stalk you! I'm not that far from you (Gloucester County) and I have the thrifts around here and south pretty well covered. I shop mostly for fabric and other craft supplies. I may need to broaden my horizons and head up a bit more North! Is one of your haunts the Samaritan Thrift in Westmont? My SIL got that store up and running (with help from some great volunteers!)

Posts: 298 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Our thrift store is called Goodwill - and I drop in occasionally. I've found designer clothing, jewelry and today, I shopped for colorful picnic - type pottery - such bargains - couldn't believe it. And I saw a Pyrex "vintage" casserole dish for $9 which I did not get - but I'm still thinking about it. In our area, the thrift stores are very upscale.

Seaborne

Posts: 1198 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We only have Goodwill where I live, a very economically depressed community. By the time things get to them, they have been offered through a garage sale or two first.
I'm not crazy about giving up my precious Fridays or even Thursdays to go to garage sales hoping I might find a great buy. I know in the process I'd bring home too much other bargain junk I wasn't even looking for or needing!

Posts: 2797 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:
I'm not crazy about giving up my precious Fridays or even Thursdays to go to garage sales hoping I might find a great buy. I know in the process I'd bring home too much other bargain junk I wasn't even looking for or needing!

I am not a garage sale shopper! We have gone out looking for specific things, but not very often - once every year or two. I refuse to have another garage sale - our last one cost more than we made because the ash off of some jerk's cigarette burned a hole in my Bruce Springsteen concert t-shirt!! Mad When someone asked DH if he would take .25 rather than .50 for some little item he also said NEVER AGAIN!

Totally off track and I should put that as a topic in cleaning and organizing.

When we did the big Spring Purge this year we took carloads to the various thrift store charities. I remember in Richmond we had a few great upscale thrift stores run by the various ladies leagues but we don't have them here. We have Goodwill, Salvation army, some that claim to be charitable but I think in name only, and private 2nd hand store/thrift shops.

However, I don't have much patience with them either. When I go shopping I usually have a mental list of what I need to get. If I find other stuff along the way, that's okay, but I don't go to just browse.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
When I was a kid...back in the stone age...Good Will was for poor folks.

My dad was a truckdriver who hauled boats coast to coast. Our neighbor was a truckdriver who hauled cars coast to coast. We weren't rich...but we weren't poor...middle class was a good fit. However, clothing manufacturers would donate unsold goods to Goodwill including button-up 501 Levis. Daddy and Charley both wore button-up 501 Levis. Guess where their Levis were purchased!

Charley told Juanita that he better not drive through town and see their Cadillac at Good Will any more! LOL There were only 3 kids in my family. Charley and Juanita had 5. Both mothers stretched their household dollars.

I remember one pretty pale yellow blouse with a collar that tied into a bow. My second grade teacher complimented me on it and asked where my mother found such a lovely blouse. I answer Good Will. I remember the look on the teacher's face as she said, "Oh." I told Mama that teacher liked my blouse and I told her it came from Good Will. I remember the look on my mother's face as she said, "Oh, you didn't!" Big Grin Isn't it funny what you remember!!!!

Posts: 17194 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
When I was a kid...back in the stone age...Good Will was for poor folks.

My dad was a truckdriver who hauled boats coast to coast. Our neighbor was a truckdriver who hauled cars coast to coast. We weren't rich...but we weren't poor...middle class was a good fit. However, clothing manufacturers would donate unsold goods to Goodwill including button-up 501 Levis. Daddy and Charley both wore button-up 501 Levis. Guess where their Levis were purchased!

Charley told Juanita that he better not drive through town and see their Cadillac at Good Will any more! LOL There were only 3 kids in my family. Charley and Juanita had 5. Both mothers stretched their household dollars.

I remember one pretty pale yellow blouse with a collar that tied into a bow. My second grade teacher complimented me on it and asked where my mother found such a lovely blouse. I answer Good Will. I remember the look on the teacher's face as she said, "Oh." I told Mama that teacher liked my blouse and I told her it came from Good Will. I remember the look on my mother's face as she said, "Oh, you didn't!" Big Grin Isn't it funny what you remember!!!!

LOL - Sherry very similar to my family. My father didn't drive cross country but he was also a truck driver - usually east coast. Funny, I mentioned to DH (who is 10 years older than me) what my father earned as a trucker (union wages) and he told me I must have misunderstood - he made a fraction of that when he got his first job out of college in the early 60's. Wink Some things never change.

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
When you buy electrical things from the thrift store don't you worry whether they will work when you get home?

Posts: 7125 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I've had opportunities to visit with former parents of students. One parent told me how she and her brother shared in a PB win years ago. Her daughter would buy from the 'fancy' stores. As **** quickly dwindled, this mom returned to work. Where? A thrift shop. Her daughter would start coming in and recognize the 'fancy' clothing she had paid moolah to was in the thrift shop. She began to purchase her clothes there instead. I NEVER question where an item came from. I comment how lovely something is and leave it at that. I have some dear friends who always look stunning. I know their secret...it's been thrift shops. But you would've never known if not told. It's a sense of trust and willingness to share how to make our dollars stretch....and knowing who you can trust. I feel blessed in their confidences more than anything else.

Posts: 5217 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: Electrical stuff...ask for an outlet. If they won't let me plug it in, I don't buy it.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Hooray for thrift shops!!! I consider thrift shopping to be one of my hobbies. It is the thrill of the hunt, and never knowing what I might come across that keeps me at it.

Funny thing, the teenagers now days, at least in my area consider thrifting "cool".
They are very proud to say it came from a thrift shop!

Posts: 7213 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
We can return our Goodwill purchases up to a week. But I'm sure they'll return beyond that date.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thatchairlady:
I frequent a few local thrift store and have made some GREAT find in kitchen stuff.

Found a "vintage" KA sand mixer for $19.99 at Good Will... with bowl, whisk, paddle, and dough hook. Then a few weeks later a spare bowl for about $5.

Came across a KA 7-speed hand mixer... never even out of wrapping for $5... at shop tat benefits a children's home.

Already HAD a Cuisinart food processor (basic model) but couldn't pass up another one for $8 at a shop that benefits local hospital. Figured at the least... a spare bowl. It ended up a step UP from what I had... slightly larger capacity.

Then 2 days ago, in SAME shop, another C food processor for $8. This time it came with NINE extra slicing/shredding blades!! Got it home an IT was even larger capacity... 14 cups, from what I could find out. Couldn't find out what it woulda cost originally... apparently discontinued (slightly "vintage")... but those extra blades would cost over $200 according to owners manual.

That sounds like a fun adventure like deep sea diving for those of us not trained in scuba diving.

Authorities had to get after antique hunters in our part of town. There were Goodwill and other charity organization's boxes around town where people would put their cast offs. Women in Mercedes were dumpster diving those boxes to put the goodies in their antique booths or who knows where else. They were squelched I hope. It's fun to see what's out there.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
As I said I love the thrill of the hunt when it comes to thrifting.

A friend and I were thrifting just for fun. She was not shopping in a thrift because of need, as she is actually quite well to do. Anyway, she spotted a formal gown, in just the color of her daughters upcoming wedding, and we both looked at each other with that, "dare you" look. She tried it on and it fit perfectly. It was the exact right color. It looked brand new. It was a nice designer label. It was just the style she was looking for. It was 20.00.

Now this is a woman who shops in upscale shops. But the dress was the absolute perfect dress. She bought it, had it cleaned, and wore it to the wedding. I was sworn to secrecy. I still smile when I think of it.

Posts: 7213 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my yes! While we were on vacation last week, DH and I went to a couple of thrift/resale stores one day. I found two American made cast iron skillets for $4 each! And a new springform pan for $4. AND a little bitty pot with a lid for granddaughter for $1.50. When I checked out...the full cost was $7 and some change. ???? Several departments were half-price including the kitchen department. Big Grin $4 per skillet was a great price - compared to the usual $20, but $2 for a good cast iron skillet??!!!

The next day or so, we were eating lunch with friends, when he got a call to make a delivery for someone who was on vacation. DH when with him. The wife and I hit three more stores in a nearby town. I found a Griswold (BIG name in collectible cast iron) Dutch oven without a lid for $18. I have not doubt that in an antique store that same piece would have been $50.

The Dutch oven is mine. The skillets will be passed out to the kids.