Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Corned beef and the trimmings are in the slow cooker. I'll cook the cabbage this evening while the Irish soda bread is in the oven.

Of course, corned beef is not considered Irish by the Irish any more. Wink I did see a recipe for corned beef hash with a fried egg served on top. I can see leftovers prepared this way in my immediate future!

LPB (Lou-isiana Public Broadcasting) is in the fundraising stage. They aired three/four back to back episodes of Kevin Dundon, an Irish chef. He's got some GOOD recipes!
http://www.kevindundon.com/

BTW what is wrong with L o u i s ???

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Lamb stew - with potatoes & carrots - AND - steamed cabbage. We like both corned beef and lamb - so this time, I'm having the lamb - the corned beef portions are too much (and too salty) for just the two of us - and the leftovers are endless.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be preparing beef as it is my all time favorite.

Classic Foods

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I made sheperd's pie. It came out really good. I added some sweet Italian sausage to the ground beef to give it some extra spice. I didn't even over cook the potatoes.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I made a recently aired America's Test Kitchen recipe last night, "Spanish-style Toasted Pasta with Shrimp." It was very good and I will definitely make it again. However, I will definitely start the preparation earlier next time, we didn't sit down to eat until 8 pm. Preparing the shrimp took more time than I thought!

I also made their Aioli Sauce (spell?), but I didn't like it. Maybe it would have been better using veg. oil instead of EVOO. I did not like the taste, the EVOO was overpowering! Also, I didn't like the idea of the raw eggs. But I must say, that spooning this sauce over my plate did enhance it, so maybe I need to do a google search for a more acceptable aioli sauce recipe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6092 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lori -- do you like mayonnaise? An easy "faux" aioli is start with mayo and add whatever else the recipe calls for. Then you don't have to worry about the raw eggs either.

Martha

Posts: 6352 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was pad thai. With lots of vegetables. We're trying to get more vegetables in our diet and stir fries and Thai food is a good way to do it.

Martha

Posts: 6352 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Yaes, Martha, I do like mayo. Will try that next time. Thx

Posts: 6092 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Spaghetti dinner at church-- but I DID cook today -- had company for lunch. Cream of white bean soup and a pasta salad with sun dried tomatoes and arugula and bow tie pasta and a Meyer lemon curd tartlet for dessert.

Martha

posted Hide Post

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Leftover grilled marinated pork tenderloin, Mac and cheese and steamed cabbage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We finally had our corned beef hash with a poached egg and toasted soda bread. My favorite reason to have corned beef!

Martha

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I made carnitas, roasted zuchini and vermicelli with veggies for dinner tonight. Had a boston butt that needed to be used and had to wait until there was someone else here to cook it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6827 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Chicken Parmigiano and sauce with whole grain pasta and mixed veggies. Last night, I was gone at dinner time and DH had a turkey Polish sausage on a roll - and (he said) ice cream. Hmmmm - I said, is that what I get to serve you for dinner from now on. (The freezer is stuffed full of all kinds of veggies - fruit is all over the place - he had ice cream with his sausage sandwich. Oh well - I'm not his mother.

Seaborne

Posts: 1221 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not for dinner, but this morning I made cinnamon roll waffles again. I'll never bake another cinnamon roll again!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Went to the City to see Grand Budapest Hotel and had lunch at the art gallery. Dinner was easy -- a salad and spaghetti with mushroom sauce. No dessert!

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
This weekend I was at a meeting in Beaufort. The host club had reservations for us at Dockside Restaurant in Port Royal. The seafood was wonderful! They even have a copycat of Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp. Excellent dinner!

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Went to the opera today in the city and had a great lunch out before the opera. Dinner tonight was a hamburger with onion,tomato, avocado and mustard and hummus with vegetables.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Oven roasted chicken
rice and gravy
and some of the most delicious carrots - I don't know when I last had a carrot that tasted like a carrot!!!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Black bean tacos with radish salsa and feta cheese. They were yummy!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Birthday dinner for youngest son given by his wife - pizza and baked manicotti and I took an antipasto salad - with grape tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, red onion, peperoncini, roasted red pepper, salami, prosciotto and Provolone cheese. Chocolate cake and vanilla cupcakes for dessert which I passed up & took my share home. The buttercream was fabulous. And I got a wonderful cup of Starbuck's Sumatra coffee made in the Keurig.

Seaborne

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Oven-fried cod fish, and sweet potato and white potato fries with salad. A nice bottle of Chateau St. Michelle (WA State) Riesling to go along with.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborn, Cheateau St. Michelle wines are a favorite of ours. When we visited Washington State several years ago, we had a great tour of the winery!

Dinner tonight was a "yankee" version of red beans and rice with sausage and cornbread.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Seaborne, that reisling was one of the wines served at our wedding reception!! Lovely stuff.

Our dinner tonight was grilled boneless porkchop (shared), steamed snow peas and panfried potatoes, onion and peppers. Fresh strawberries and yogurt for dessert.

Posts: 6827 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Linderhof & FFG - you both have discriminating taste in wines, for sure. I don't usually indulge in having wine every night - nor can I afford it - but DH surprised me - and it did happen to be "on sale." It's a lovely refreshing crisp wine - not too sweet - but with fruitiness. The Winery is not far from where I live - 30 minutes drive - and it's a lovely spot to picnic in the summer time.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
We weren't very hungry last night. I cooked some breakfast sausage patties. DH ate his with a slice of buttered bread. I made a half sandwich with mayonnaise and a couple of patties. I don't remember the last time I did that and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I did offer eggs, toast, and gravy, but DH just wanted sausage and bread. Okay!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
It's gonna be risotto for us tonight, leftover ham and veg

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Tonight, Salad Nicoise: steamed new potatoes, tuna in olive oil, cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, Kalamata olives, anchovies, capers, blanched green beans and hard-cooked egg. Eaten at room temperature with my own red wine vinaigrette. Easy, cheap and delish! Plus it makes a pretty presentation on the serving platter.

Posts: 5364 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonight, Salad Nicoise: steamed new potatoes, tuna in olive oil, cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, Kalamata olives, anchovies, capers, blanched green beans and hard-cooked egg. Eaten at room temperature with my own red wine vinaigrette. Easy, cheap and delish! Plus it makes a pretty presentation on the serving platter.

One of my favorite things but not for this kind of weather in Maine!

We ate out five times last week! Well week + 2. First was diner in DD's town. next day the lovely luncheon to celebrate my widowed sister-in-law's 80th. Lobster bisque (but not as I would have fixed it) and flank steak for me. Wonderful vegetables accompanying this. Others had baked halibut which they also said was wonderful. Then we had dinner at a favorite nephews condo. String beans, deviled eggs, scalloped potatoes with ham, fruit salad, shamrock small cakes (Whole foods) for dessert.

Although the SPWH would not normally be a favorite of mine it was seasoned just perfectly.

Later in week we went to Becky's a famous diner in Ptld. Had my usual fried haddock with a side salad (they are so good at Becky's)

Sunday night with DD we went to a restaurant in our town. She & I each had a 1/2 order of mussels, then I had a gyro platter which I could not eat, brought home and next day tossed! It did not look appealing.

Last night I made a roast, cooked at 250º till it fell apart. No water added to this. Wonderful gravy. Mashed potatoes, fruit salad oh and carrots but they were burned!

I like to watch cooking shows and use some of the recipes. From yesterday: Pioneer woman's salsibury steak. Trisha Yearwoods, cold veggie salad and brownie cookies.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Tonight I was planning on stir fry but friends asked us to join them for dinner so we ate out.

And I have enough spaghetti and meatballs leftover for lunch.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Seaborne and Linderhof, if you like red wines, look for a cabernet savignon from Horse Heaven Hills which is part of Columbia Crest. I'm normally not fond of cabs, but a friend brought a bottle over and it was wonderful.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
FFG -- I love cabs, we drink more of them than anything else. I'll have to look for that one.

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
DH found a recipe in Sunday's Parade section of the paper. Lone Star Spaghetti. I made a couple of adjustments - but it was super yummy. It is a go for the recipe file. That with roasted asparagus on the side made a great dinner.

Tonight was oven friend fish (bought frozen breaded tilapia at Costco) with sautéed kale, potato casserole, WW hush puppies and sliced tomatoes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
DH went to the Chamber of Commerce Dinner and I taught a cooking with herbs class. Baked Pesto Chicken, cauliflower dill salad, rosemary rolls, chocolate lavender cake. I had a bowl of salad when I got home.

Martha

posted Hide Post
I got to eat someone else's cooking! We are at the older son's for the grandson's 2nd birthday party tomorrow!
Steaks
fried cabbage - oh I cooked that...
sauteed mushrooms
a delicious pinot grigio - I'm not much on reds but that was a good wine!
Then a glass of iced green tea. Big Grin

Edited to change the wine to Pinot Noir - this was a German wine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Last night was lentil and sausage soup with kale, bread sticks and a SC Chewie for desert.

Tonight - camping at the state park so it will be hot dogs, fries and salad.

Fun and Info

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're in Minnesota at our DD's -- she had lots of leftovers and turned them into a wonderful stir fry with brown rice and lots of vegetables! Oh, and we had frozen custard for dessert -- we walked to the Ice Cream store -- well, I guess it wasn't dessert as we had it BEFORE dinner -- but ice cream is okay as an appetizer, isn't it?

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
FFG - I, too, love a good Cabernet - and KYS - I love Pinot Grigio too.

Anyway, no wine tonight. Broiled a while chicken - split it down the back for quicker cooking - added a cut-up yam with leftover baked beans and made a great tossed salad with my own dressing - avocado, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, & red onion added.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Was at Daughter Sarah's and SIL Andy and since they worked all day, I fixed dinner -- beef braciole (a Bobby Flay recipe) with fire roasted tomato relish, crash potatoes and green beens sautéed with onion and thyme and a baguette from the bakery in town.

No dessert -- sigh!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I was out to a cocktail party event - so DH had the leftover roast chicken from last night. I had appetizers - prosciotto-wrapped melon, stuffed mushroom caps, miniature quiches, meatballs, etc... with wine - coffee and cookies.

Seaborne