Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March Dinners Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
It's March -- are you having lion or lamb for dinner tonight?

Let us know what you're cooking (or eating out) during the month of March.

Martha

Posts: 6199 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
meatloaf, veggie casserole, deviled eggs, coleslaw and green beans. Not decided on dessert yet

Posts: 82 | Registered: Sep 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Step-son cooked bacon wrapped filets!!!
While I prepared the sides:
baked potato
salad
homemade brown soda bread (from yesterday)
homemade oatmeal pecan cookies Smile

Posts: 17254 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Our ch ur ch adults had a mardi gras progressive dinner last night -- we had cajun style apps at first house, jambalaya, salad and cornbread at second house, and dessert was here -- I made my first King's cake (complete with baby) and my co=hostess brought plain and chocolate bread pudding and sauces. The freezing rain put a damper on the evening -- it came earlier than anticipated and the night was not as late as usual.

Martha

Posts: 6199 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Made 5 lbs of chili yesterday in anticipation of our storm supposed to come in tonight. Half goes in the freezer and we'll eat the other half over a couple of days. It's hard to cook for just two. But if I'm going to dirty up my kitchen, I'm going to dirty it up big!

Posts: 297 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Tonight is fried pork steak and fried taters with slaw.

Have a groupon to go to an Italian restaurant this week.

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soup and sandwiches for us and two of grandsons tonight. Sandwiches will be grilled cheese and more than likely Campbell's tomato soup. If ds wasn't feeling poorly, would have him make potato soup like my late Dad would make.

We had homemade soup not too long ago, but none was frozen. We ate all of it. One of these days, will make some and freeze a good portion of it.

We did have a big breakfast of bacon and eggs this morning.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6336 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Roast chicken tonight - so leftover roast chicken tomorrow!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Micro-steamed wild caught salmon filets with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, kalamata olives and a bit of white wine.

Orzo with blanched asparagus and parmesan cheese.

No dessert; maybe ice cream. (It's never too cold for ice cream.)

BTW, this is the fanciest I've gotten in days.
Tomorrow, linguine with meatballs and fresh marinara sauce...depending what time the tile guys leave. Smile

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Having a cold icy snowy day, we wanted comfort food. Iron skillet fried chicken and gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans. I can't remember the last time I fried a chicken but it was really good -- especially the gravy! Yum!

No dessert although we have some bread pudding left from last night and I'm sure Jim will probably have a late night snack!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Came back to say WOW I did a great job on that bird! LOL!

One half chicken, roasted at 425 (convection roast setting) uncovered until temp hits done (started with 30 mins and checked frequently for temp after that). Bottom of pan had quartered red potatoes, red grape tomatoes, garlic cloves all tossed with evoo. Tomatoes were scrumptious!

Standard seasoning for my roast chicken is s&p, herbs de provence, and the evoo.

The next time I make pasta it will be a roasted grape tomato sauce. Yum!

posted Hide Post
Homemade roasted tomato soup at noon with cheese toast. The adults ate well. The kids ate about two bites of cheese toast.

Tonight was whatever we found in the refrigerator except for the kids who got fresh made mac n cheese. I had salad and a deviled egg. DH ate a bit of mac n cheese and salad. StepS had already demolished the last of the filets and had also hit the homemade cookies so he passed on supper. He'll probably raid the refrigerator before bed.

Posts: 17254 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Today was Shrove Tuesday -- pancakes (my homemade for breakfast -- our church's pancake feed for dinner tonight). Tomorrow is Lent. Let the fasting begin!

Martha

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We had homemade chicken corn soup with rivels.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had grits and eggs and toast for dinner. I didn't want anything for dinner but figured I really out to eat something today. I've got a whopping case of the crud and can't breathe. I HATE being sick. These head colds really do a number on me.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
Oops, we were supposed to be on vacation this week, my DH is using up the last of old vacation. Again I took a temporary care position this season and heading to our Southern destination is out of the question with the weather patterns.
So we are vacationing at home. DH sleeps in, I go to work late morning. He lounges all day and watches movies and is making progress on a computer transfer project.

So, decided we will dine out every night instead of traveling. Making lemonade out of lemons here and it's just as fun as any other vacation.

First night we visited a steak house, last night Mexican, tonight a local restaurant & lounge for broasted chicken and potatoes.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DH got the DGSs diarrhea. Frown He did not feel great and did not even leave the house for lunch!!! That's when I know he's sick. All he wanted was a scrambled egg. He did not even drink a glass of milk with it...just an egg and a glass of tea.

I had a potato in the microwave for me before realizing that I had no sour cream. Frown So, I just gave it a little pat of butter and sprinkled some cheese on top.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Bacon, caramelized onion, asparagus quiche (made from scratch except crust) and cherry tomato, basil and caper salad with olive oil.

Tonight? Who knows? Smile

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Cooked pot roast 3 days ago - DH had leftovers last night with mashed potatoes. I was treated to another belated birthday dinner at an organic-type restaurant: crab cakes, roasted veggies, chopped kale & Swiss chard salad - organic Wilamette Valley Pinot Noir and a brownie with a scoop of coconut ice cream and a candle. Tonight I'll cook chicken breasts.

Seaborne

Posts: 1200 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had sauted salmon, white and wild rice and Asian broccoli slaw (broccoli slaw from a bag with homemade Asian dressing - peanut butter, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper and ginger).

DH has "given up" food for Lent! (Read -- he's on a diet!)

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I fixed bow tie pasta with leftover chunks of chicken breast and my homemade pesto and Parm cheese and a salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
No dessert -- DH gave up "food" for Lent and I sort of gave up sweets (at least tea treat sweets!)

Martha

posted Hide Post
Since I'm still somewhat under the weather, dinner was simple. Grilled American pork chop and oven baked sweet potato fries. Strawberries with a bit of whipped cream for dessert. First time all week I've like the taste of anything.

Now it looks like DH may be coming down with this crud. YUK.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Made beef vegetable soup, using up the rest of the pot roast.

Seaborne

Posts: 1200 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Being that it's lent, no meat for us on Friday's. In the beginning it's hard to remember, already had a ham sandwich for lunch Frown Tonight I'm going to make sauteed Pompano with roasted asparagus and rice pilaf.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We always go to the Catholic Church on Fridays for the Lenten Fish fry. Of course, we invite a crowd over here for Lentinis (Lenten martinis) before we go to church. It's tradition!

And that's where we'll be tonight and that's what we'll have for dinner tonight -- fish, fries, baked potato, cole slaw, green beans (or corn), roll, spaghetti and church lady desserts (coffee or tea)

Martha

posted Hide Post
We're having black eyed peas and cornbread. DH is under the weather but I hope he'll be up to eating some because they're one of his favorites.

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
No more Lenten fasts for us - we're beyond the age anyway. Did you know that meatless Fridays and the promulgation of fish instead had to do with promoting the market for fish - a commercial enterprise. (Though I always thought that was a good thing since my father was a commercial fisherman.) And I never could figure out how going without meat and eating beautiful and delicious (and often expensive) seafood was some kind of a "sacrifice." We're having leftover beef vegetable soup and just made a pan of corn bread.

Seaborne

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Seaborne -- possibly where you're from. Not where we are at -- the only "fish" is catfish and crawdads! Neither are my favorite!

In school, we had fish sticks or mac and cheese on Fridays. I think it's interesting that the Cath olics could influence whole school districts -- but they did -- we had no meat choice on Fridays!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Since DH gave up food for Lent, we had slow roasted country style ribs with BBQ sauce, a baked sweet potato (no butter for me!) and a salad made from fresh Kale, four lonesome Brussels sprouts in the fridge (thank heaven they're not gone), some dried cranberries and some toasted pecans all tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (really good aged "forever" balsamic), salt and pepper. No dessert Frown but I did make 5 dozen cupcakes for church treats tomorrow.

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Pretty substantial menu for "giving up food" for Lent, Martha.

We had chicken breasts (or rather, we each had half of one), a half cup of leftover mashed potatoes for DH, and some mixed veggies. No dessert - fruit later for both of us.

As to seafood choices during Lent, I guess seasonal fish is problematic in certain regions. But I like whatever fish is available - no matter what region - love grouper - and wouldn't mind fried catfish either. We're not big meat eaters anyway - so giving up meat is no sacrifice anyway.

As to the Catholics having such influence on school menus - perhaps, also because fish is plentiful and cheaper during Lent because of the greater demand. I'm not religious anyway - so it doesn't affect me, one way or the other. I love fish and seafood and eat it whenever I want - but usually buy what is seasonal and on sale.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
I made a new to us chicken recipe- chicken breasts sprinkled with dry good seasons dressing, with cream of chicken soup and cubed cream cheese cooked in the crockpot. Served over mashed potatoes with steamed broccoli. DH announced that the recipe is a keeper.

Posts: 3008 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shrimp sauce piquante
spring salad

We were going to have avocado with the salad but the package of five organic Mexican avocadoes (all of the avocadoes at the store were from Mexico-no choice there) which felt just right were hard to cut in half and dark in the center. I cut three of the five and just tossed the other two.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had stir fry for dinner. A mix of fresh and frozen vegetables with leftover pork from last night. Served with rice.

Martha

Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lurah:

So we are vacationing at home. DH sleeps in, I go to work late morning. He lounges all day and watches movies and is making progress on a computer transfer project.

So, decided we will dine out every night instead of traveling. Making lemonade out of lemons here and it's just as fun as any other vacation.

Hello Lurah,
One of our favorite vacations was one we took at home a long time ago. Like you we ate out for lunch and dinner. There was hole in the wall Mexican counter where we got our lunch, then dressed to go out to a fancier restaurant for dinner later in the evening. We also went to all the attractions in and around our city and Los Angeles. We had the best time, we got to do what we wanted and best of all we talked with each other and listened to music without being rushed or crowded.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 994 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lurah/Peppermint Patty - unfortunately so many times we forget the sights close to home -- always going away to sightsee! Good for you!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight was chicken fajitas and spanish rice with a small salad (for me, DH puts his on the fajitas!)

Martha

Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
DH just yesterday returned to work from vacation days. So my "vacation" ends tonight.
In the meantime, our dining out options included our favorite pizzeria twice, seafood, a newly opened Oriental place, favorite family diner, tenderloin shop and hors d'oeuvres for supper because they were leftover from an event I hosted.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Lurah/Peppermint Patty - unfortunately so many times we forget the sights close to home -- always going away to sightsee! Good for you!

Martha

DH and I are firm believers in being a "tourist" in your own state. Unless you are from a very small state, you can't have seen it all! We were all over CO when we lived there, as much of MA as possible(and New England in general) while there, and now we go all over the Southwest. It's fun, cheap to do, and you can sleep in your own bed if you choose!

Tonight it is green-chile cheeseburgers take out from a diner. They make potato chips to order. Sooooo good!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Jun Collector -- that sounds so good!

Tonight we had Thai lettuce wraps. A lot of flavor for little calories!

Martha

Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Costco roasted chicken, spinach salad, and whole grain crusty bread.

Seaborne

posted Hide Post
I haven't cooked much good this month what with both of us catching what the grandsons' had. blech

Yesterday I had to cook a pound of ground beef. DH requested it with rice and maybe chili powder... So I took my hamburger and rice dish with thyme and made it with chili powder, cumin, and cilantro. He said he liked it better than the original dish.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
70 degrees yesterday -- snow and sleet on the prairie today. Ham and beans with rosemary and Irish soda bread.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Finally broke down and cooked a meal, such as it was. Grilled pork chop, roasted veggies and some potato salad from Publix.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I miss St. Paul's Lenten programs and lunches. Back in the day when I worked at the State Capital during session everyone went over at mid day.

Yesterday was so cold wet and awful I felt like making soup but couldn't decide on what kind. I found a recipe for Russian Root Vegetable soup, changed it up and bit and it came out really good. I had some rutabagas, turnip roots and other items I needed to use up so I roasted them off, with some onion and red sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Then for the spinach I added some frozen spinach plus left over turnip greens and collards. (Variation on a "soup" StepD2 makes on Friday - everything in the pot. Pretty gross sounding to me, but she is not an adventurous cook so her leftovers tend to be plain meat and potatoes.) I added a can of chopped tomatoes plus I browned some smoked sausage and served with corn muffins. With all the variations and no Dill as called for in the recipe, it was pretty good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Put my corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage in the slow cooker early this morning. I can hardly wait until tonight.

Happy St. Patrick!'s Day, everyone! (Didn't you know everybody's Irish on March 17?)

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I can do the potatoes, carrots and cabbage, not so much on the corned beef. Perhaps a pot roast tonight.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My corned beef is simmering on the stove -- the house smells wonderful!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming -- why not a shepherds pie? lamb or beef, vegetables all topped with mashed potatoes and perhaps a bit of cheese and browned.

Martha

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
That sounds good. I think with steamed cabbage on the side we have a winner.

My service club meets at a local hotel and every year for our March meeting they serve corned beef and cabbage. I will eat the salad and desert and take the rest home to DH. Even worse - November is always turkey and dressing.

Fun and Info

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We had a Rueben the other day, oh my! Once a year, what a treat!

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post