Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Bar b que sauce recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bar b que sauce recipe Sign In/Join 
Picture of sybilj
posted
I love the taste of barbecue sauce made with vinegar but I have not been able to make it myself..do any of you have a good vinegar barbecue sauce recipe?

Posts: 68 | Location: usa | Registered: Jan 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My recipe has vinegar in it. Do not know if this is the type you want or not. I posted it here:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4011632/m/2593981177

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sybilj
posted Hide Post
I will try it. Thanks

Posts: 68 | Location: usa | Registered: Jan 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use BBQ sauce by Classic Foods. Its made with a fresh tomato paste base, vinegar, molasses and chili pepper. You must try it out.

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
melsmith56 posted this easy and good recipe on this board several years ago, and I've been using it on my ribs ever since.

1/2 c catsup
2 Tb brown sugar
2 Tb Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tb distilled vinegar
1 dash Tabasco
1 1/2 ts garlic powder
1/4 ts mustard powder
1/4 ts salt

Combine in pot and warm it. No need to boil.

I usually add some or all of the following:

1/2 Tb horseradish
1/8 ts cayenne
1/8 ts paprika
About 2 ts each of Liquid Smoke and molasses
1/2 Tb garlic powder

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Sybil, If you are preparing NC style smoked pork barbecue you want to keep the sauce simple. The following recipe is pretty good and not too far off from traditional. if you don't want it sweet, cut back on the brown sugar. When I've made vinegar based in the past I just used more ketchup, but I think I will like using less ketchup and a little brown sugar to smooth out the flavors.

North Carolina Vinegar Sauce

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Texas Pete's
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Procedure
1.Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
2.Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
These recipes sound delicious!

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
What is Texas Pete's?

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:
What is Texas Pete's?

A type of hot sauce. Not as strong as tabasco. Also, a nod to the NC roots of vinegar based bbq sauce.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post