Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  Johnny Carino Mac and Cheese
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Johnny Carino Mac and Cheese Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sandy O !
posted
We were there recently and DH fell in love with this, it has bacon and mushrooms also. I found a video on line but they just showed a chef putting this and that in the pan and topping it with bread crumbs then into the broiler.

Sandy

Posts: 1285 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten there but here is a recipe on the web. Is this similar?

Johnny Carino's Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:
1 box elbow macaroni cooked and strained (16 oz for an 8 x 8 pan)
1 jar of Ragu cheese sauce
shredded cheese of any kind
bread crumbs
1 package of pepperoni

Cut the pepperoni and half or leave them whole and layer macaroni, pepperoni, cheese sauce and shredded cheese in an 8 x 8 greased pan (you can even add a little milk to the mix for added creaminess). Sprinkle shredded cheese and bread crumbs over the top.

Bake at 325 degrees (or 350 because my oven runs hot) for about 20 minutes.

It doesn't say how much cheese so I would use your own discretion as to how cheesy you like it.

Martha

Posts: 6050 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nn

Posts: 796 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lurah
posted Hide Post
We all like Emeril's 4 Cheeses and Macaroni.

Posts: 2785 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Nov 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
This appeared in our Food Section today and I thought it sounded good. It was adapted from Southern Living magazine. Don't know when I'll get around to trying it.

MACARONI AND CHEESE
1/2 c butter
1/2 c AP flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/4 t cayenne
2 c fat-free Half-and-Half
2 c nonfat milk
2 10-oz blocks sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
10-oz block extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
16-oz pkg elbow macaroni, cooked
3/4 c breadcrumbs
2-3 T melted butter

350 oven. In large pan over med.-high heat, melt butter. Gradually whisk in flour til smooth. Cook, whisking constantly for 2 mins.

Stir in salt, pepper, and cayenne. Gradually whisk in Half-and-Half and milk. Cook til thick, whisking constantly, 8-10 mins. Stir in half the sharp cheddar and all the extra-sharp cheddar, til smooth.

Combine pasta and cheese sauce; pour into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar. Toss the breadcrumbs and melted 2-3 T butter together; sprinkle over casserole. Bake 20 mins., til mixture is bubbly and melted. For crustier top, bake 15 mins. more. Serves 6-8.

Posts: 6024 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post