Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Food & Entertaining
  What salad dressing do you use for macaroni salad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What salad dressing do you use for macaroni salad? Sign In/Join 
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted
Do you prefer mayo or Miracle Whip? Sugar and vinegar mixed with mayo? THX

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Miracle Whip with a little milk. If I am making salad for a take away dish I use both generic and regular Miracle Whip but if it's for my family only it's Miracle Whip only.

x

Posts: 1238 | Location: WNY | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mayo. Pretty much the same dressing as I make for potato salad.

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
I make pasta salads and use a vinaegrette. I never make mayo-based salads of any kind any more - though very rarely, if I'm having company, then I'll make a potato salad and use Best Foods / Hellman's mayo.

Seaborne

Posts: 1125 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My dressing has mayo, vinegar, mustard,sugar. I use it for macaroni salad and for potato salad.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
For pasta salad, I usually prefer some type of Ranch Dressing.

Posts: 4481 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
It varies depending on ingredients of the salad. Tonight we're trying a new recipe with variations to fit out taste and ingredients on hand. The pasta is rotini, the veggies a mix of blanched broccoli and cauliflower, the sauce olive oil, anchovy filets, lemon juice, garlic.

Martha

Posts: 7106 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use both mayo based and vinegar, depending upon the ingredients and my mood.

Posts: 7035 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use an oil/vinegar dressing mostly. Especially if we take it somewhere -- you don't have to worry about it sitting out!

Martha

Posts: 5911 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Miracle Whip and milk with a little sugar added. SO good!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
Best Foods Real Mayonnaise (they don't sell Hellman's here).

Posts: 5984 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seaborne
posted Hide Post
Hellman's is the brand sold in the Eastern part of the country - but it's the same mayo as Best Food's.

Seaborne

Posts: 1125 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Nov 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I use mayo with some sour cream and sometimes miracle whip added. Then depending on the recipe - cider vinegar and a little sugar.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3514 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
For macaroni just mayo. Don't ever use Miracle whip. For potato salad mayo mixed with some other things. I never put sugar in any salad.

Posts: 12621 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Hellman's mayo and I add some mustard and chopped green olives for a jolt of flavor. Chopped onion, , chopped celery, celery seed, hard boiled eggs, chopped green or red pepper, black pepper go into the dressing. no need for salt due to the olives. I sprinkle paprika on top. I could eat an entire big bowl of this stuff. Smile

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
These days, I make pasta salads with vinaigrette-based dressings. No Miracle Whip, ever.

I still love the classic elbow macaroni salad the way my Mom made it, with the recipe straight off the side of the Hellman's mayo jar. It had nice crunchy ingredients such as celery, onion, and green or red bell pepper. Sometimes she added sliced pimento stuffed olives. It was our summer go-to recipe when we had outdoor barbecues.

Posts: 5291 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
A bit of Hellman's or Kraft mayo anddddddddd some celery seed dressing.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Grew up on Miracle Whip. Mama did not like mayonnaise because it was "greasy."

Well, I don't know what brand of mayonnaise she was eating but after my first taste of Hellman's mayonnaise, I was hooked. Never purchased another jar of MW.

I generally add a bit of Penzey's peppercorn dressing mix to my pasta salads...and some crumbled bacon. Big Grin SHRIMP is delicious in it too with some minced green olives and onions.

This list could go on and on and on and on...

Posts: 17060 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Depends. I've made with both mayo and an oil and vinegar mixture.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
We tried the Penzy's peppercorn dressing in a pasta salad last week. (Had to try some of their spices after seeing the recommendations here.) Used it in a variation of this recipe. Gave a thumbs up to the dressing - a creamy one with both mayo and sour cream. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bozie,

Martha

Posts: 7106 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you know I have to make macaroni salad tomorrow after seeing this thread, right? Not sure how I'll make it but I have both mayo and some sort of vinaigrette salad dressing. Maybe I'll combine them both.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post